List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

I also remember we offered a 2 year deal and he wanted 3 but a reduced rate .

He could very well be on 800k a year .
Doesn't mean we are paying him 800k probably more like 500k and the afl pay the other 300k

Exactly, and I think that is pretty close to the numbers.

PLUS he gets marketing money from the other roles he undertakes.

Eagles $500k to play + AFL $300k ambassador $ + $200k in marketing. Nic is still a million dollar man.

Yet players at almost all other clubs want to win it again. Why is it that at our club the hunger drops? Makes no difference who the coach is either, we always fall away after winning a flag.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but it paints the picture of how hard it is for a WA based club to win a flag and how the stars have to align for us. In 2019 Richmond had 10 straight games at the MCG including the GF - if we had that set-up it'd be a lot easier to back up the success.

I don't entirely disagree with you, but it paints the picture of how hard it is for a WA based club to win a flag and how the stars have to align for us. In 2019 Richmond had 10 straight games at the MCG including the GF - if we had that set-up it'd be a lot easier to back up the success.

But again maybe that is how the club looks at it which puts an excuse in the players head. Adelaide went back to back, Brisbane 3 peat yet the might Eagles who have had arguably some of the greatest lists of all time could not go back to back.
No question it is harder with travelling but you are either a very good team or you are not. If you win it one year and set the std then you know what the std is.

Yet players at almost all other clubs want to win it again. Why is it that at our club the hunger drops? Makes no difference who the coach is either, we always fall away after winning a flag.

Interesting use of “always”.

We won two flags in three years in the 1990s.

We won a flag in 2006 then 12 months later lost two Brownlow Medalist midfielders in the one offseason.

Interesting use of “always”.

We won two flags in three years in the 1990s.

We won a flag in 2006 then 12 months later lost two Brownlow Medalist midfielders in the one offseason.

We fell away in 93, how is that not factual?
2007 we were bundled out in second week of finals, I give you that we did lose players but thats just footy.
The excuses at our club are always there. I was jus pointing out we have never backed it up. It's not up for debate. It's factual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2007 we were bundled out in second week of finals, I give you that we did lose players but thats just footy.
The excuses at our club are always there. I was jus pointing out we have never backed it up. It's not up for debate. It's factual.
We lost '05 by a point, so we were up and about prior to winning '06 before the club imploded in 2007.

We made 3 grand finals in 4 years from 1991-1994, that's a better record than most teams.

It's pretty hard to win a flag.

We won two flags in three years and we’ve won more flags in the AFL era than any club bar Hawthorn.

When you start to complain that we haven’t ever won back to back flags you’re really straying into the realm of being unreasonable, IMO.

We won two flags in three years and we’ve won more flags in the AFL era than any club bar Hawthorn.

When you start to complain that we haven’t ever won back to back flags you’re really straying into the realm of being unreasonable, IMO.

I am not complaining, just stating it as it is.
So you are of the opinion that it is unreasonable for a club like West Coast to win back to back? Other clubs you believe it is reasonable but not us?

I am not complaining, just stating it as it is.
So you are of the opinion that it is unreasonable for a club like West Coast to win back to back? Other clubs you believe it is reasonable but not us?

It’d be fantastic.

But I don’t think you can say it’s unreasonable that we haven’t.

1993 was a weird season. 2.5 wins between 1st and 6th. 2 wins between 6th and 12th. Final 3 teams were garbage.

WCE were second on the ladder, with a game in hand on first place, with two rounds remaining. If anything we fell away in the last two games against bottom 9 sides where we choked after leading both games at half time.

We then pumped North in the first round of the finals, Jako kept Carey to 6 touches with 26 of his own.

Unlike 92 and 94, those last two rounds meant no home finals which is probably our real kryptonite.

This is off-topic but the bolded bit is a critical point I think and can't be underestimated. Interesting this year to hear whining from 'national' (Vic) commentators about Vic teams and their travel. (BTW, same commentators said SFA about the Sydney teams on the road for 9? weeks.)

Tim Lane has tried to advance the argument it is all BS quoting selective statistics of how many non Vic teams won in the early 2000s. Course that proves nothing. Without travel they might have won more.

I think the AFL needs to recognise the travel factor and also acknowledge that WA teams have it far tougher. It is basically a whole day from home to hotel (with timezones) which is far more than the other states. (For example, no Tassie games for WA teams; when interstate, teams play two games on a six day break etc.)

This is off-topic but the bolded bit is a critical point I think and can't be underestimated. Interesting this year to hear whining from 'national' (Vic) commentators about Vic teams and their travel. (BTW, same commentators said SFA about the Sydney teams on the road for 9? weeks.)

Tim Lane has tried to advance the argument it is all BS quoting selective statistics of how many non Vic teams won in the early 2000s. Course that proves nothing. Without travel they might have won more.

I think the AFL needs to recognise the travel factor and also acknowledge that WA teams have it far tougher. It is basically a whole day from home to hotel (with timezones) which is far more than the other states. (For example, no Tassie games for WA teams; when interstate, teams play two games on a six day break etc.)
They also fail to acknowledge the cumulative effect of years' worth of travelling, as opposed to a season or so.

Half the teams barely travelled last year anyway as they were all hubbing. Not even remotely the same thing.

There’s a reason there’s only 3 WA based players to ever play 300 games. Anyone who says travel is a non issue, clearly hasn’t done it enough
Yes but Melbourne FC (the oldest existing football club in the world FYI) only have 2 themselves.

Yes but Melbourne FC (the oldest existing football club in the world FYI) only have 2 themselves.

Was also surprised to learn that Josh Kennedy has kicked more goals than any Melbourne Demons player in their history also

But again maybe that is how the club looks at it which puts an excuse in the players head. Adelaide went back to back, Brisbane 3 peat yet the might Eagles who have had arguably some of the greatest lists of all time could not go back to back.
No question it is harder with travelling but you are either a very good team or you are not. If you win it one year and set the std then you know what the std is.

Adelaide wouldn't have won b2b under the current final system iirc.

That Lions team, cola and all, being an exception to the rule would be understandable.

That's ignoring that the bulk of the 300 game players have come in an era that Melbourne have been awful and have hardly had players play well for 10 years let alone 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back