List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

There’s a reason there’s only 3 WA based players to ever play 300 games. Anyone who says travel is a non issue, clearly hasn’t done it enough
I'm not saying it's not an issue but in the same post-2000 career beginning era as Pav, Mundy and Bunga you've got Ablett, Goodes, Burgoyne, Betts, Hodge, Simpson, N Riewoldt, Goddard, Pendlebury, Selwood, Enright, Petrie, Mitchell, McVeigh, Shaw, Dal Santo, Lewis, Franklin, Kelly, Murphy, Thompson, Boak, J Riewoldt, Jones, Hawkins, and Cornes for a total of 29 players racking up 300+ games.

Or about 1.8 per club for the 16 clubs that have existed for the entirety of that period.

So whilst the 3 from the two WA clubs is below average, it's not terrible. Hodge is the only one from the post 2000 era that has played for Brisbane for example. Hell even the two expansion clubs have representatives in Ablett and Shaw.

If anything it's becoming less of an issue in the present given more modern recovery methods for players, and knowledge around how flying affects athletes' bodies.

Yet players at almost all other clubs want to win it again. Why is it that at our club the hunger drops? Makes no difference who the coach is either, we always fall away after winning a flag.
93, falling away. Injuries and 1st cup outside of Vic, is understandable.

07, leading well in the last quarter, Glass benched and Sav goes on a rampage? Plus the cousins thing and was it Judd with severe OP? Benching Glass still irks me hard.

19 - Rioli in the Geelong final. Plus we shared hard v Hawks in the lead up to finals?

20 - covid and players getting older.

In my mind, lost opportunities are 07 & 19 and possibly 20 at a stretch.

93, falling away. Injuries and 1st cup outside of Vic, is understandable.

07, leading well in the last quarter, Glass benched and Sav goes on a rampage? Plus the cousins thing and was it Judd with severe OP? Benching Glass still irks me hard.

19 - Rioli in the Geelong final. Plus we shared hard v Hawks in the lead up to finals?

20 - covid and players getting older.

In my mind, lost opportunities are 07 & 19 and possibly 20 at a stretch.
Nah 93 (and 91) were the biggest missed opportunities for mine

Yet players at almost all other clubs want to win it again. Why is it that at our club the hunger drops? Makes no difference who the coach is either, we always fall away after winning a flag.

Almost all other clubs don’t even win a flag frequently enough to test your hypothesis.

Geez i hope brander decides to chase opportunities elsewhere
It'll be our 1 opportunity for some fun during trade week

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

So back to focussing on the draft ahead of us. Picks as it stands today

1631768841362.png

With our picks, I would love to turn 35 and 49 into something better. Points wise it is worth pick 24 but cannot see many needing points in that slot. Doggies is the obvious case but there will be lots of competition and I would not want to give up all 3 of 29, 35 and 49.

So what is the shape of the draft? There is real evenness for me at the 5 to 20 range and not much of a drop off past 20 with a load of talent through to 40.

A bit radical but would we drop back from 10 to 15 to get our hands on Richmond 15 and 26? We could always drop in 49 and that would get Ricmond 2 top 10 picks and we would have 15, 26, 29 and 35.

Rathionale:-
I think we would not lose much by dropping back to 15.

15 - best available inside/balanced mid like MJ, Draper, Sonsie, Roberts, Goater
26 - best available KPP like van Rooyen, Bazzo
29 - best available tough inside mid like Jackson, Taylor, Dittmar
35 - best available and not fussed on position

Using the Twomey latest power rankings, here is a view of where the talent lies in the draft. I have mostly used other's comparison

1 Nick Daicos – midfielder likened to Zac Merrett
2 Jason Horne-Francis – midfielder/forward likened to Isaac Heeney
3 Sam Darcy – KPF likened to Max King
4 Finn Callaghan – wing/rebounding HBF likened to Jared Polec
5 Ben Hobbs – inside midfielder likened to Jack Steele
6 Josh Ward – balanced midfielder likened to Marc Murphy
7 Josh Gibcus – KPD likened to Nick Haynes
8 Josh Rachele – forward/midfielder likened to Alan Didak
9 Mac Andrews – ruck likened to Paddy Ryder
10 Neil Erasmus – Utility likened to Elliot Yeo
11 Jye Amiss – KPF likened to Jack Gunston
12 Arlo Draper – inside midfielder/forward likened to Robbie Gray
13 Tylier Sonsie – balanced midfielder likened to Jack Macrae
14 Josh Sinn – hbf likened to Bailey Dale
15 Campbell Chesser – outside midfielder/hbf likened to Isaac Smith
16 Matthew Roberts – inside midfielder likened to Dayne Beams
17 Josh Goater – midfielder/hbf likened to Jack Crips
18 Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera – outside midfielder likened to Shane Edwards
19 Sam Butler – inside midfielder likened to Taylor Adams
20Darcy Wilmott – running hbf likened to Christian Salem
21 Matthew Johnson – inside midfielder likened to Scott Pendelbury
22 Tom Brown – hbf likened to his father Paul (Geelong)
23 Jessie Motlop – small forward likened to his father Daniel and NGA but only to Freo if past pick 40
24 Jack Williams – KPF likened to Josh Bruce
25 Toby Conway – ruck likened to Reilly O’Brien
26 Marcus Windhager midfielder tied to St K NGA and can match after 20
27 Jacob van Rooyen – KPP likened to Jeremy McGovrn
28 Blake Howes – wing/forward likened to Geoff Raynes
29 Hugh Jackson – midfielder likened to Darcy Parish
30 Zac Taylor – balanced midfielder likened to Lachie Hunter

There are possibly 2 in the top 10 as F/S and 2 or 3 possible NGA players in top 30-40. Remember NGA multicultural prospects can be matched after pick 20 and NGA Indigenous prospects can be matched after pick 40

Other key players likely to be there at our second pick
Connor MacDonald – balanced midfielder likened to Luke Parker
Leek Alleer – KPD likened to Alir Alir
Rett Bazzo – KPP likened to Adam Hunter
Kane Dittmar – inside midfielder likened to Tom Libratore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 1237401

With our picks, I would love to turn 35 and 49 into something better. Points wise it is worth pick 24 but cannot see many needing points in that slot. Doggies is the obvious case but there will be lots of competition and I would not want to give up all 3 of 29, 35 and 49.

So what is the shape of the draft? There is real evenness for me at the 5 to 20 range and not much of a drop off past 20 with a load of talent through to 40.

A bit radical but would we drop back from 10 to 15 to get our hands on Richmond 15 and 26? We could always drop in 49 and that would get Ricmond 2 top 10 picks and we would have 15, 26, 29 and 35.

15 - best available inside/balanced mid like MJ, Draper, Sonsie, Roberts, Goater

Using the Twomey latest power rankings, here is a view of where the talent lies in the draft. I have mostly used other's comparison

23 Jessie Motlop – small forward likened to his father Daniel and NGA but only to Freo if past pick 40

There are possibly 2 in the top 10 as F/S and 2 or 3 possible NGA players in top 30-40. Remember NGA multicultural prospects can be matched after pick 20 and NGA Indigenous prospects can be matched after pick 40

10 for 15 & 26 would be a good deal if we get to make the call at pick 10 after we've had a look at who is left just in case there is a slider too good to pass up. I would also be ok giving up 29, 35 & 49 for the Dogs 1st round if we had 15 & 26 from Richmond (meaning we end up with 15, 17, 26 & 65).

Because the club has always embraced how hard it is to win a GF in Melbourne.

Our nineties side should be talked about as being equal to, if not better than the Lions triple premiership sides.

But they embraced anywhere, anytime mantra, not sure we ever have.

Geez i hope brander decides to chase opportunities elsewhere
It'll be our 1 opportunity for some fun during trade week

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
I’d say we’re already set for a fun draft day, at least more than the last couple of years. 10, 29 & 35 is prime slider grabbing territory. It’s not like Brander would net us a top 3 pick.

Are you suggesting that our players don't care about trying to win it again?

We played in 3 grand finals in 4 years from 1991 to 1994. Winning two. That's pretty damn good.

In the last 40 years 2 teams have won back to back (Crows and Tigers), 2 teams have won a threepeat (Lions and Hawks), teams that did not win back to back, the Cats of 2007 - 2011, Essendon of 2000, Wayne Carey's North Melbourne.

It's really really hard to win two premierships in a row

Haha i'm in the same boat, also really like Rachele, but think we might have more pressing needs than either of them.
Have to laugh that the year that we get a decent pick, and really need a midfielder, there will likely be a ruck sitting there that could take over from Nic Nat and anchor our ruck for the decade once Nic retires in ~2 years.

Fingers crossed we find another ruck somewhere. Still like us to make a play for Matt Flynn from GWS. Restricted free agent.

Are you suggesting that our players don't care about trying to win it again?

We played in 3 grand finals in 4 years from 1991 to 1994. Winning two. That's pretty damn good.

In the last 40 years 2 teams have won back to back (Crows and Tigers), 2 teams have won a threepeat (Lions and Hawks), teams that did not win back to back, the Cats of 2007 - 2011, Essendon of 2000, Wayne Carey's North Melbourne.

It's really really hard to win two premierships in a row
[/QUOTE]

No I am suggesting that they are not as hungry the following season to do it again for whatever reason.

I refuse to believe Naitanui is on a huge deal with us, didn't he last sign on after his second knee injury? Plus he gets the AFL money for being an ambassador.

AFAIK is payments are roughly 600k per year. What a lot of people don't realise is 300k of that is from the AFL as an ambassador which is outside the cap. He is a long way from being one of our highest paid players within the cap.

View attachment 1237401

Another option would be if we were to trade with Brisbane - our 10 and 29 for their 14 and 18.

Points are about the same and we would also be taking 2 first rounders meaning we get our ability to trade next year's pick if we wanted to.

Net result is we drop back 4 spots for first pick and come forward 11 for our second.

Also look at Gold Coast with picks 3, 10, 19 and 22. NFI what the rules are for Gold Coast but what would it take to get pick 22? Pick 19 might be more eagerly bid as it is pick 1 of day 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back