List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Gold Coast also coming out today and stating they are struggling for list spots and L.Dunstan is an option they have for the rookie list "if available".

A player who just two weeks ago polled more votes in the Brownlow than any of our club's players apart from Sheed - from just 12 games.

Averaged 25 disposals, 11 contested possessions, 6 clearances and 5 tackles per game in 2021.

Would be an ideal fit to allow Shuey, Kelly and Yeo opportunity to impact more aggressively off the front and outside of contests.

And he is DFA, with surprisingly little interest, considering the last month of football definitively showed that beefing up inside midfield capabilities is the key to success now.

We should be doing all within our power to bring him on board as an Eagle.

I have a couple of questions. So I’m a Victorian member do I not get access?

2- How big is the waitlist roughly? And would I have the chance to attend any games next year?

3-Why was optus stadium only built for 60k baffles me. Should of been built for 80k surely?

4-looks like I’ll stay in Victoria then or barrack for Freo lol how sad
Most games you can buy tickets . In fact I have always got tickets . I even got 4 tickets to a freo , west coast game . If we are in finals tho it will be more difficut . Be diligent when ticket sales open and you will be fine .

So Brisbane get players from Geelong and Gold Coast for a packet of chips . We should offer Carlton pick 49 for SPS .
Let him go to the preseason draft . He has his fee (West Coast obviously negotiated that already ) . Who would pick him up before our 1st pick in preseason draft ?

True and this is what worries me with the SPS trade - Carlton will push for one of our 2nd rounders because they’re likely to need it for Cerra and 49 won’t help

It’s why a straight swap of SPS for Brander holds some appeal beyond it actually being a fair enough trade
Why won’t pick 49 help Freo? They have 2 NGA prospects this draft and that pick will help with points.

Seems we could be the key to making both the A.Cerra and J.Clark deals go through.

Carlton currently have picks 6, 25 & 61

Fremantle only have picks 8 & 27

Dockers willing to part with a second round pick for J.Clark, but apparently want x3 other picks in total above 40 before they hand it over.

Carlton obviously do not want to trade out of the draft entirely in order to land A.Cerra, but pick 6 alone is not enough to get it done.

J.Brander + 35 + 49 <===> S.Petrevski-Seton + 25 + 61

6 + 35 <===> A.Cerra

27 <===> J.Clark

Carlton pickup A.Cerra and J.Brander (and G.Hewett via RFA) and retain pick 49 in the draft.

Fremantle get J.Clark and enter the draft with picks 6, 8 & 35.

West Coast gain S.Petrevski-Seton and enter the draft with picks 10, 25, 29, 61 & 65.
I like the idea and would do it without needing 61 back

I expect us to only take 4 senior picks max on rookies plus some of our nga prospects in as cat B

Why won’t pick 49 help Freo? They have 2 NGA prospects this draft and that pick will help with points.

I was thinking purely as part of the Cerra trade - pick 6 and 49 probably wouldn’t be enough for Freo whereas pick 29 especially or perhaps 35 might be so I could see Freo pushing Carlton to in turn push us. Bell would quite like an Eagle feather for his cap

Won’t surprise me in the slightest if Clarke is still playing for Geelong next year.

Doubt Geelong let him go for 27 and he’s not worth 8 so Freo are going to have to find a way to get something in between

I’ve said it before but it’s going to be fun sitting on the sidelines watching this one
Won't surprise me if he is still on their list and barely playing for Geelong next year.

All the chest beating about him being worth a late 1st or early 2nd, and in all likelihood if they keep him they won't play him.

For Clark I hope that is not the case, but for the sake of all other young players around the league in some ways I hope it is, as surely players would hesitate to sign extensions early on if they see the outcome may be getting stuck in the 2's as they won't trade you unless they get massive overs...

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Seems we could be the key to making both the A.Cerra and J.Clark deals go through.

Carlton currently have picks 6, 25 & 61

Fremantle only have picks 8 & 27

Dockers willing to part with a second round pick for J.Clark, but apparently want x3 other picks in total above 40 before they hand it over.

Carlton obviously do not want to trade out of the draft entirely in order to land A.Cerra, but pick 6 alone is not enough to get it done.

J.Brander + 35 + 49 <===> S.Petrevski-Seton + 25 + 61

6 + 35 <===> A.Cerra

27 <===> J.Clark

Carlton pickup A.Cerra and J.Brander (and G.Hewett via RFA) and retain pick 49 in the draft.

Fremantle get J.Clark and enter the draft with picks 6, 8 & 35.

West Coast gain S.Petrevski-Seton and enter the draft with picks 10, 25, 29, 61 & 65.
Cerra is worth more than pick 6 and pick 35. Freo shouldn't accept that.

Gold Coast also coming out today and stating they are struggling for list spots and L.Dunstan is an option they have for the rookie list "if available".

A player who just two weeks ago polled more votes in the Brownlow than any of our club's players apart from Sheed - from just 12 games.

Averaged 25 disposals, 11 contested possessions, 6 clearances and 5 tackles per game in 2021.

Would be an ideal fit to allow Shuey, Kelly and Yeo opportunity to impact more aggressively off the front and outside of contests.

And he is DFA, with surprisingly little interest, considering the last month of football definitively showed that beefing up inside midfield capabilities is the key to success now.

We should be doing all within our power to bring him on board as an Eagle.
Dunstan couldn't get a game because his kicking is diabolical. Not saying we should investigate, but be prepared for a lot of frustration if he were to come.

The idea of him and Sheed running through the midfield together butchering kicks is scary.

Would need to get him into the Priddis mode of handball first, handball second, and kick as last resort.

EAGLES CHAMPION STILL UNDECIDED
WEST Coast champion Josh Kennedy has not yet committed to playing on in 2022 after a one-year deal had appeared imminent.

Both Kennedy and the Eagles had spoken publicly about their desire for the veteran forward to continue for a 17th AFL season after booting 41 goals from 18 games this year.

But while the Eagles remain keen for their all-time leading goalkicker to play on, Kennedy’s management said he was still to confirm his desire to accept a contract offer.

West Coast has not put any time pressure on Kennedy to make a decision, with the club also yet to announce an expected new deal for premiership captain Shannon Hurn.

JK no certainty to go on

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see Hough as the draft bolter that the club thinks will last to the middle of the second round and someone else takes him as a late first or very early second. Similar to what happened to us with Will Powell.

I am a huge fan of Bazzo. JVR gets the nod from me as I think he's significantly better athletically and can play either end. Timeline wise if you're picking a KPP defender and want someone who reads the play exceptionally and has good skills then Bazzo is the man and could very well replace McGovern in 3 years time.
Harry Edwards replaced mcgovern this year . We were a better team with Hedwards and barrass . Both played 1 on 1 and let rotham and sheppard intercept

JK no certainty to go on
I reckon the longer this drags on the less likely he is to play. Seems a bit of a free spirit does Josh.

Reckon he might think one more year on close to minimum chips may not be worth his while when he can tend to his vege patch and do some float tank sessions instead.

Harry Edwards replaced mcgovern this year . We were a better team with Hedwards and barrass . Both played 1 on 1 and let rotham and sheppard intercept
This is in no way correct. Hedwards has great potential but is still a liability. He regularly got carved up and forced us to change match ups.

I reckon the longer this drags on the less likely he is to play. Seems a bit of a free spirit does Josh.

Reckon he might think one more year on close to minimum chips may not be worth his while when he can tend to his vege patch and do some float tank sessions instead.

Don't forget the eggs he's gotta collect from his chickens 😁

Dunstan couldn't get a game because his kicking is diabolical. Not saying we should investigate, but be prepared for a lot of frustration if he were to come.

The idea of him and Sheed running through the midfield together butchering kicks is scary.

Would need to get him into the Priddis mode of handball first, handball second, and kick as last resort.
Bit confused about your comments on sheed . I know he has a propensity to hack it forward out of a contest but given time and space he is one of our most damaging kicks forward of centre

Most games you can buy tickets . In fact I have always got tickets . I even got 4 tickets to a freo , west coast game . If we are in finals tho it will be more difficut . Be diligent when ticket sales open and you will be fine .

How many games you reckon I can attend via this way?

This is in no way correct. Hedwards has great potential but is still a liability. He regularly got carved up and forced us to change match ups.
McGovern doesn't get carved up by the number 1 key forward because we refuse to play him on the best defenders .

What's the point in paying a full back 1 million a year who doesn't even man up .

FWIW we looked our best as a defence this year in the stretch pre bye without mcgovern in the team .

Surely Dunstans name needs to stop being thrown up until at least book 3 now we know we didn’t even have a nickel to give Vardy's grandma.

Word is Dunstan will be a popular pickup, and we're damn broke yo. We can't afford no Dunstan.

Cheaper getting some mature WAFL mid talent like a Bailey Rogers, or Clark for depth.

We can then play that competent midfield talent off the forward flank in a negating role, to shut down Daniel Rich.

Last edited:
Bit confused about your comments on sheed . I know he has a propensity to hack it forward out of a contest but given time and space he is one of our most damaging kicks forward of centre
Definitely, his decision making and what's going on upstairs is the difference between his good games and terrible ones.

Please WCE_phil I think you will find that none of us are big fans of Gorter he was one of the biggest misfires in our drafting history, we rookie listed him ahead of Tim Kelly.

View attachment 1249388

Talk about ghosts of past drafts......... nightmare stuff........... flashback of the very worst kind.

Now Josh GOATER is a completely different proposition, he is a player that I rate.

View attachment 1249389

Oh FFS I had better take a couple of Diazepam tablets, as the very mention of the name Gorter spooks me to the very core.
[/QUOTE]
Hahaha Gorter, wow that's a ghost from the past! What's not to like about Goater, I also rate him very highly...

Sinn, scares the crap out of me. Very very West Coast type selection, hoping the Saints get him before we can attempt to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back