List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
I reckon the longer this drags on the less likely he is to play. Seems a bit of a free spirit does Josh.

Reckon he might think one more year on close to minimum chips may not be worth his while when he can tend to his vege patch and do some float tank sessions instead.

To be fair, as much as we all idolise these players and think how great it must be to play AFL - there is a whole lot they have to give up to do so.

It's a 7-day-per-week job, and as you get older the recovery (and effort that goes into that) takes longer.

Sure, if you are on $400-500k per year and the opportunities outside of footy are less than half that then it is a relatively easy decision. But if we are offering $150-200k then that isn't that far away from 'normal' jobs (5 days a week, can have a drink, etc etc). See Vardy as an example.

I hope JK plays on, as he is both capable and deserving of another year - but I could totally understand if someone who's achieved what he has through his career decides that the effort isn't worth it (especially if after 1 more year he is within 5-10 games of 300... and then has to make the choice whether to go again, or even worse doesn't get that choice).

True and this is what worries me with the SPS trade - Carlton will push for one of our 2nd rounders because they’re likely to need it for Cerra and 49 won’t help

It’s why a straight swap of SPS for Brander holds some appeal beyond it actually being a fair enough trade

Would we be interested in Carrol as well from the Blues?

19 yr old, WA mid who slid down the order.

So you build a 60k stadium for a club that has 100k members and growing.

What was the point of this new stadium? Might as well stayed at Subi

Now I got no choice but to be a Freo member what a disgrace

Supply v Demand = price. It keeps Freo and Eagles memberships as hard to get so therefore highly valued.

Also the cost of going to 100k stadium would also have been a factor, Optus can be expanded to add another 10,000 seats to 70,000. Remember the stadium got no AFL or federal funding.

There is the logic.

Seems we could be the key to making both the A.Cerra and J.Clark deals go through.

Carlton currently have picks 6, 25 & 61

Fremantle only have picks 8 & 27

Dockers willing to part with a second round pick for J.Clark, but apparently want x3 other picks in total above 40 before they hand it over.

Carlton obviously do not want to trade out of the draft entirely in order to land A.Cerra, but pick 6 alone is not enough to get it done.

J.Brander + 35 + 49 <===> S.Petrevski-Seton + 25 + 61

6 + 35 <===> A.Cerra

27 <===> J.Clark

Carlton pickup A.Cerra and J.Brander (and G.Hewett via RFA) and retain pick 49 in the draft.

Fremantle get J.Clark and enter the draft with picks 6, 8 & 35.

West Coast gain S.Petrevski-Seton and enter the draft with picks 10, 25, 29, 61 & 65.

Geelong want more than 27 for a contracted Clark.

McGovern doesn't get carved up by the number 1 key forward because we refuse to play him on the best defenders .

What's the point in paying a full back 1 million a year who doesn't even man up .

FWIW we looked our best as a defence this year in the stretch pre bye without mcgovern in the team .

McGovern and our 'zoning defense' relies 100% on forward and midfield pressure. If teams are allowed to cut through the midfield under limited pressure Gov and our defense are stuffed. Gov forces them to kick low and short to leading players. And our forwards and mids failed to close the space the leading forward uses.

Lever plays a very similar game to Gov and is getting $800k pa. Dees set up looks pretty good, difference is the selfless running and support their forwards and mids do to help the defense. And when they get the ball back they go fast forward.

We don't do either of those things ATM.

To be fair, as much as we all idolise these players and think how great it must be to play AFL - there is a whole lot they have to give up to do so.

It's a 7-day-per-week job, and as you get older the recovery (and effort that goes into that) takes longer.

Sure, if you are on $400-500k per year and the opportunities outside of footy are less than half that then it is a relatively easy decision. But if we are offering $150-200k then that isn't that far away from 'normal' jobs (5 days a week, can have a drink, etc etc). See Vardy as an example.

I hope JK plays on, as he is both capable and deserving of another year - but I could totally understand if someone who's achieved what he has through his career decides that the effort isn't worth it (especially if after 1 more year he is within 5-10 games of 300... and then has to make the choice whether to go again, or even worse doesn't get that choice).

Disagree.
$150k-$200k job is years of working your way towards level of pay and with a few exceptions, is usually a salary offered 20years into a career. Most people will never reach that salary, let alone being paid that to exercise and kick a sherrin for a living.

Footballers at 18yrs of age start on $80k and live a life of privilege, which is why they view $200k as not worth it. There is not one person posting on here who wouldn't give up their current career to get 12 months on an AFL list and be compensated only $200k.

McGovern and our 'zoning defense' relies 100% on forward and midfield pressure. If teams are allowed to cut through the midfield under limited pressure Gov and our defense are stuffed. Gov forces them to kick low and short to leading players. And our forwards and mids failed to close the space the leading forward uses.

Yes and no.

You see pressure up field on the kick is kinda hard now with the stand the mark rule. Fatass can sit there lazily waiting for his favourite long high kick to come...

And 2 seconds later the opposition gets an overlap handball, carried it 15m and can either kick it over his head or change the angle completely.

He's become more and more ineffectual with this rule.

We can't just give him the cop out anymore of "our defense relies on pressure up field". So does everybody's. Every team would prefer the long high kicks going inside 50 (kinda like what West Coast do).

He needs to adapt and adapt quickly. Personally I'd prefer to see a role change for him if he's not prepared to lockdown.

Disagree.
$150k-$200k job is years of working your way towards level of pay and with a few exceptions, is usually a salary offered 20years into a career. Most people will never reach that salary, let alone being paid that to exercise and kick a sherrin for a living.

Footballers at 18yrs of age start on $80k and live a life of privilege, which is why they view $200k as not worth it. There is not one person posting on here who wouldn't give up their current career to get 12 months on an AFL list and be compensated only $200k.
I'm sure the money isn't the major issue for someone like JK. It's more, can he commit to doing the work required, and can his body hold up. He's had 17 years in the system and is 34. That's positively ancient for a key position player. At some stage you have to say it's not possible anymore.

The money then factors in. If he's got other stuff he can do then maybe he finds it's time to transition into the next stage of his life.

Disagree.

Assuming $150-200K is indeed what JK has been offered - he could easily earn that amount outside of playing football & not have to do what footballers do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes and no.

You see pressure up field on the kick is kinda hard now with the stand the mark rule. Fatass can sit there lazily waiting for his favourite long high kick to come...

And 2 seconds later the opposition gets an overlap handball, carried it 15m and can either kick it over his head or change the angle completely.

He's become more and more ineffectual with this rule.

We can't just give him the cop out anymore of "our defense relies on pressure up field". So does everybody's. Every team would prefer the long high kicks going inside 50 (kinda like what West Coast do).

He needs to adapt and adapt quickly. Personally I'd prefer to see a role change for him if he's not prepared to lockdown.
Had an injury interrupted year and played with a midfield getting smashed and still was 13th overall on intercepts per game. At his best he's a completely disruptive influence pealing off and intercepting. Certainly not worth forcing him to lockdown and losing that aspect.

There's an argument that we should play three key backs, so McGovern can play the Lever role/role he played when we played Schofield and Barrass with him.

Assuming $150-200K is indeed what JK has been offered - he could easily earn that amount outside of playing football & not have to do what footballers do.

Would've thought he'd make a fair chunk just working the guest speaker circuit, let alone being quite a marketable man with a good head on his shoulders.

There is not one person posting on here who wouldn't give up their current career to get 12 months on an AFL list and be compensated only $200k.
Also I wouldn't give up my career and salary to be on an AFL list for that amount of $'s unless I can just turn up to the ground and do nothing, I can barely get through an infrequent masters training session, I'm dead certain I'd die if had to do one AFL session.

BOND 007
Do you see this as a draft, due to the relative unknown aspects of the eastern states players, that some real diamonds in the rough can be found with later picks...More so than usual?

Conversely, will this have a negative affect for the WA clubs/players as they are more of a known quantity. If we want Bailey Rogers for example, me may need to pay a higher price than previous years due to this?

Last edited:
Bit confused about your comments on sheed . I know he has a propensity to hack it forward out of a contest but given time and space he is one of our most damaging kicks forward of centre
Pertinent point - given time.

he has been covering as an inside mid as has Gaff. These two are very much outside and do so much more when they are wing or half forward or with two genuine mids that are at stoppages with them. These 2, and Kelly, need the balance.

I suggest when we were missing both Yeo and Shuey, we would have been better served with XON or West or Nelson partnering Redden.

Word is, after Amiss injured himself in his last game, we are going to draft him

The rationale being, that given he will be starting the pre season on a heavily modified program, it will mean he is already up to speed with the rest of the team........

Old Phil Inn will get a look in somewhere else I'd have thought

Had a great run in the back of 2018, but his seasons after that have been underwhelming.

Might get a look somewhere else but would be happy to pass on him

Word is, after Amiss injured himself in his last game, we are going to draft him

The rationale being, that given he will be starting the pre season on a heavily modified program, it will mean he is already up to speed with the rest of the team........
I'd rather we gave him a miss.....

/joke probably been done to death, but whatever.

Disagree.

Yep, and he's been plying his trade for 17 years - plus obviously the unpaid time as a junior so he could make it to AFL level.

Yes it is a life of privilege, but also a life of sacrifice. Having a few beers with mates, family time, probably birthdays, weddings etc. A lot of those are off the table as the club needs/expects 100% commitment (rightfully so)

Of course we would all love the chance to play for 'only' $150k or whatever that is. But we haven't been doing it for 17 years, living that life.

From those of us who look at the players and think 'how lucky are they', it seems a strange thing that Cameron or Swift or JK or many, many others decide to walk away (not saying JK will - but the possibility is there). The other side of the coin is the sacrifice required - and I do wonder how many of us would crack under that pressure in year 1 of the theoretical opportunity!

So Brisbane get players from Geelong and Gold Coast for a packet of chips . We should offer Carlton pick 49 for SPS .
Let him go to the preseason draft . He has his fee (West Coast obviously negotiated that already ) . Who would pick him up before our 1st pick in preseason draft ?
Agreed, Carlton did it with Jack Martin, why shouldn't we do it back to them if they try to play hard ball

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back