List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster****
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
Roberts almost won the last game of the U19s for SA with a massive last quarter .

His work inside was very good , his overhead marking was excellent for his size , his workrate and will to win made me stand up and take notice .

He is not micheal Braun at all he is all luke Parker who can play inside and out .

He has apparently been playing through injuries this year that is why he has dropped off .

I would be stoked to get him

Looking at there draft profiles they are almost identical in height and weight.

Both can win a contested ball. Roberts has a knock on his athleticism but that can be improved while Hobbs has no outside game & his kicking isn't great.

From what I can tell, none of his highlights are of him in the backline. I honestly think we’ve recruited him as a wingman.
Based on his low possession count, I can see he has been recruited as the Brander defensive wing option.

Have to go after Norths 22, maybe 35 plus a future 2nd?

Roughly same on points but North get ammo for next year

Wonder if Hawks 23 or 26 is gettable?

Chesser has a decent frame he could build into but no point of it if you don't have the appetite to win the ball. Maybe at best he becomes that Sheed like third/fourth on baller.

Johnson sliding like this is pretty curious.

He has prototypical size for a midfielder, good production and is known for his composure and class with the ball in hand. His combine results should have dispelled any notion that he is unathletic.

He might not have been a prolific clearance winner in the same way that Hobbs and Sheldrick were, but he’s no slouch. He’s no worse in that respect than other midfielders already drafted or previous similar prospects like Bontempelli.

On paper he looks like a bonafide top 10 pick. What gives?

Don’t get you hopes up - the Pieman has an aversion to blue collar mids. He usually only picks them up as rookies.
I read somewhere we have been following him closely for a couple of years . His preparation and professionalism are top shelf and he is the last to leave the track to the point coaches have to tell him to stop training so much

The frustration in the Chesser selection is that it appears he was on no one else's radar around our pick. Would have been nice to trade back further for more than ports 2022 second rounder.
This is the bigger problem. If we don’t rate anyone around that pick (which we clearly didn’t) why not try to extract maximum value out of it. It’s like picking O’Neill 2 rounds before he needed to be.

If you want him, go for it, but get creative and stockpile some more picks while you’re at it. We must have one of the least proactive list management teams in the league. We only ever looked good when Rawlings was pulling the strings.

We either absolutely telegraph what we’re going to do (Sheed, Kelly, Chesser) allowing other teams to plan around it, limiting our options for trades. Or we pick a bloke out of the blue that we’d have been fairly safe trading back another 10 spots for.

Came for the melts, was not disappointed (35 pages of it). The funny thing is, the trade down the draft was excellent. Lose two places, get who you want, and get a bonus pick in the 30s next year. With Hobbs and Johnson still on the board. Then they picked Chesser with Johnson still in the board.

Think people need to get behind Chesser though, was highly rated, presumably for a reason. Could be they valued class over extraction with the first pick. But let’s hope they go inside mids with the next couple of picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has prototypical size for a midfielder, good production and is known for his composure and class with the ball in hand. His combine results should have dispelled any notion that he is unathletic.

He might not have been a prolific clearance winner in the same way that Hobbs and Sheldrick were, but he’s no slouch. He’s no worse in that respect than other midfielders already drafted or previous similar prospects like Bontempelli.

I feel like size is most valuable if they can bring a contested game and/or play forward or back - whereas Johnson doesn't really offer much in these areas. Perhaps they just feel he is an 'okay' mid without being a great one?

Just spitballing.

I read somewhere we have been following him closely for a couple of years . His preparation and professionalism are top shelf and he is the last to leave the track to the point coaches have to tell him to stop training so much
Hopefully he’ll work on his tackling and his contested ball then, showing that same dedication.

I'm not as salty as I was on the Chesser pick but gee it's a gamble. Relying heavily on projecting him as a 16 year old when he's played six games in two years? He's probably been robbed of the opportunity to really develop and demonstrate his midfield wares but it seems like an uncharacteristically ballsy gamble on our part.

I'm in the camp of hoping he's an outside mid for us. Still think we need to add another midfielder this draft regardless.

Brander vibes.

Looked timid when promoted to seniors against bodies of a similar size to his own.

Fremantle would be silly not to take him though with their current pick - at the worst he would make a very damaging wingman with his size and composure in disposal.

Being a bit of a flippant git because I could not care less about the draft, but genuinely keen for someone to actually tell me why multiple non-WA clubs took WA talent and Johnson is still there.

Obviously our recruiters are dogshit, but why did Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane etc leave him out there too?

Hello and pardon the response if you have one already. Johnson was of course highly rated but was considered a very high head home risk. The ruour is he had made his position plain.to non WA clubs.

If all this is true only the Eagles and Freo are in the hunt.

He is not alone. Hobbs allegedly mAde this plain as well.

At one level it is helpful if the go home factor is on the table.when Clubs meet kids and folks. Personally I don't like it but there you go.

By the way my mob clearly rated Sheldrick as a definite stayer in Sydney.

Last edited:
Quick crack at tomorrow, ignoring bids for a moment:

Fremantle - Matthew Johnson
North - Jesse Motlop
Hawthorn - Tyler Sonsie
Geelong - Blake Howes
Hawthorn - Sam Butler
Carlton - Josh Goater
Richmond - Zac Taylor
Richmond - Mitch Knevitt
Richmond - Jake Soligo
West Coast - Arlo Draper

Fingers crossed but ideally hoping for one of MJ, Motlop, Goater, Knevitt or Draper. We'll probably have all of those available and then take Corey Warner.

I'm not as salty as I was on the Chesser pick but gee it's a gamble. Relying heavily on projecting him as a 16 year old when he's played six games in two years? He's probably been robbed of the opportunity to really develop and demonstrate his midfield wares but it seems like an uncharacteristically ballsy gamble on our part.

I'm in the camp of hoping he's an outside mid for us. Still think we need to add another midfielder this draft regardless.
That and he didn’t start taking footy seriously until year 9. So what 13 to 16 is the entirety of his footballing career to date. It shouldn’t matter how good he looked as a 16 year old because, like you say, he’s missed 2 key years of development. It just feels like a long way back and too much of a project for someone picked at 14. If he was pick 29 I’d be happy. Pick 14 should have been best available midfielder.

Quick crack at tomorrow, ignoring bids for a moment:

Fremantle - Matthew Johnson
North - Jesse Motlop
Hawthorn - Tyler Sonsie
Geelong - Blake Howes
Hawthorn - Sam Butler
Carlton - Josh Goater
Richmond - Zac Taylor
Richmond - Mitch Knevitt
Richmond - Jake Soligo
West Coast - Arlo Draper

Fingers crossed but ideally hoping for one of MJ, Motlop, Goater, Knevitt or Draper. We'll probably have all of those available and then take Corey Warner.
If the rumour about Johnson is true, Freo could trade 21 for a handsome bounty and still get him as long as they have a pick before ours. They'd be idiots not to.

I heard we had been closely following MJ and look at what that lead to tonight!

Let’s face facts - Glass left because we lowballed him, Pieman promoted yet stayed bordered up from the list he is supposed to manage, Vozzo on “leave” meaning the monkey was in charge of feeding at the zoo.

I think the only thing that comforts me is that we now have two good midfield coaches. I genuinely think the lack of one has hurt us especially XON. Had an ordinary year but at times at WAFL level he looked like a shuey clone just linking with his ruckmen and winning clearances. Hopefully knights and schoey can help him break into the 22

I heard we had been closely following MJ and look at what that lead to tonight!

Let’s face facts - Glass left because we lowballed him, Pieman promoted yet stayed bordered up from the list he is supposed to manage, Vozzo on “leave” meaning the monkey was in charge of feeding at the zoo.
Glass left because he was caught out in an inappropriate relationship with one of our players. A 'jump before your pushed' situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back