List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duffield is reporting in The West that Witherden hasn't actually committed to the move yet.

- He would be taking less money playing for West Coast than what he is currently guaranteed at Brisbane (might explain Lions chipping in)\
- He would likely get more opportunity at West Coast next year, but if Birchall finishes up in 2021, he may get opportunities there too.
- If Witherden agrees it will be an easy trade for a 3rd rounder.
Yeah seems like he'd get more playing time in brissie.its a strange one,weve got a reasonably settled backline with only hurn getting on a bit.
Duggan may get more midfield time but theres still rotham, nelson,cole,shep back there

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

So we were not likely to be big players in trade and draft season this year as we had little collateral. So far we have
  1. DONE - Langdon in for a latish pick covering an area of need Zac plays the small forward and can run through the midfield. He is more in the mould of J Cripps and does place major pressure with an appetite to tackle
  2. HIGHLY LIKELY - Witherdon in for a 2nd or 3rd rounder from this or next year and reported as part of his salary paid. I liked Alex in his draft year and he is behind some better cattle at Brisbane. He can play running half back, kick in, wing and from his U18 he also spent time in the midfield. Simpson will ike his versatility.
  3. UP IN THE AIR - Hickey out with no idea on compensation from Sydney. We have a great relationship with Sydney so this will not play out in the media. We have coverage in the ruck with Williams and feel we can let him go so long as we get something decent back.I have no idea how clear our slate is with Sydney but the two clubs are probably the most mature in dealings with each other. I would like a second rounder in (either this or next year) and since Sydney need academy points, expect this to be a late deal once the points for this year are known. This is where the creativity can be done - I have no problems waiting for the draft night to do a part of the deal with Sydney.
I will repeat myself - the compromised draft of 2020 is still a good draft and there are some really good mids to be aiming for late in the first round. No drama if we trade back in on the night and get one of them.

I am OK with being in deficit for picks - ie we bring forward to this year at the expense of next year. It means you are ahead of the curve.

I will not be swayed by the flogs at Fox, Herald Sun, AFL.com who hand out report cards on who won the trade.

So we were not likely to be big players in trade and draft season this year as we had little collateral. So far we have
  1. DONE - Langdon in for a latish pick covering an area of need Zac plays the small forward and can run through the midfield. He is more in the mould of J Cripps and does place major pressure with an appetite to tackle
  2. HIGHLY LIKELY - Witherdon in for a 2nd or 3rd rounder from this or next year and reported as part of his salary paid. I liked Alex in his draft year and he is behind some better cattle at Brisbane. He can play running half back, kick in, wing and from his U18 he also spent time in the midfield. Simpson will ike his versatility.
  3. UP IN THE AIR - Hickey out with no idea on compensation from Sydney. We have a great relationship with Sydney so this will not play out in the media. We have coverage in the ruck with Williams and feel we can let him go so long as we get something decent back.I have no idea how clear our slate is with Sydney but the two clubs are probably the most mature in dealings with each other. I would like a second rounder in (either this or next year) and since Sydney need academy points, expect this to be a late deal once the points for this year are known. This is where the creativity can be done - I have no problems waiting for the draft night to do a part of the deal with Sydney.
I will repeat myself - the compromised draft of 2020 is still a good draft and there are some really good mids to be aiming for late in the first round. No drama if we trade back in on the night and get one of them.

I am OK with being in deficit for picks - ie we bring forward to this year at the expense of next year. It means you are ahead of the curve.

I will not be swayed by the flogs at Fox, Herald Sun, AFL.com who hand out report cards on who won the trade.

I like your thinking but I don't want to go into too much of a deficit though, next year is touted to be a strong draft. Add on top of that all the players that don't get picked up this year due to limited exposure and clubs erring on the side of caution and next years draft starts to look like a really deep one. Need to look at the now but due to the circumstances of this year next years draft will be a very unique one that we want to have a presence in.

We should just use our Pick 60 on Claremont Colts backman Avery , who sounds promising .

Shoosh.............. Jack Avery not even worth a rookie spot. ;)

Shocking player ............. waste of a pick .............. complete spud.
All Clubs should be warned to stay away.

I like your thinking but I don't want to go into too much of a deficit though, next year is touted to be a strong draft. Add on top of that all the players that don't get picked up this year due to limited exposure and clubs erring on the side of caution and next years draft starts to look like a really deep one. Need to look at the now but due to the circumstances of this year next years draft will be a very unique one that we want to have a presence in.
If we have some scope for flexibility in our list, my reading of the rules for 2021 are that we get to pick up new players after rounds 4, 8 and 12. In which case, we do the picks as rookies and the reward will be there for the teams who jump in earlier with their instincts. It will penalise clubs being cautious. That means if we see a Kelly, we take him as soon as we get the hunch and not wait another 4 or 8 rounds.

Getting Witherden for next years third, which is likely going to be pick 55+, on top of cashing in pick 54 this year for Langdon would be HUUUUUUGE.

Both are AFL quality players who SHOULD be in our starting team come round 1 2021.

Won't hold my breathe on the Hickey trade being what we all want (25), considering the only number reported was for pick 82, but you never know.

If Glass pulls off suitable compensation for Hickey (anywhere before pick 40), we'd have done about as good as we possibly could've this trade period.

Stoked with both our acquisitions. :raisedhands:

If next year is touted to be a strong draft trade out and make bank in the current year. We’re hogtied by not being allowed to trade next years first.

Drafting success whilst getting better is still heavily reliant on each club’s development programs.

Hear we've got some sort of Mega deal with the lions involving our 2nd rounder and a player. But its for a midfielder, not Witherden... :think:
It’s true

images

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Half back is where it's at.

Look at your opponent, laugh, go find the footy and get involved rebounding running off him, then laugh again as he loses confidence and his coach chips him for not playing tight enough on you.

Rinse and repeat. Basically HE ends up being the defender despite playing forward, and YOU end up getting on the beers after a solid win.
A lot of people don't realise (based on comments about defenders have low tackle numbers) but AFL footy revolutionised quite a few years ago.

The game / oval was flipped around. Defenders became "attackers", Forwards became "defenders".

So forwards don't "become" defenders.........they start that way. FIRST thing a forward needs to bring these days is tackle/defensive pressure.

In some ways it is not as bad to be trading next years early pick/s for pick/s this year (and maybe some token later future picks) if that is what we choose to do.

As you say, next year has the potential to be a deep draft, so picks in the 50's and even 60's might be getting late developing overagers or younger players who have slid (due to additional 19yo's being drafted).

Probably not possible that it ends as well as the gc pick swap, but that was the last time we traded out of a 'super draft' (and tbf if it guarantees a premiership we should get it done asap!).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure why everyone is suggesting trading next year's 1st or 2nd rounders. Firstly we can't trade next yea res 1st. And secondly it's ment to be a super draft. Hold our picks next year. They are worth more.....plus we will need them for when Carlton match our Cripps bid.

In some ways it is not as bad to be trading next years early pick/s for pick/s this year (and maybe some token later future picks) if that is what we choose to do.

As you say, next year has the potential to be a deep draft, so picks in the 50's and even 60's might be getting late developing overagers or younger players who have slid (due to additional 19yo's being drafted).

Probably not possible that it ends as well as the gc pick swap, but that was the last time we traded out of a 'super draft' (and tbf if it guarantees a premiership we should get it done asap!).

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We can only trade our future 1st for a 2020 1st and use that on drafting.

It would make some sense if we could land a 2020 late 1st plus a 2021 2nd trading next years 1st Next year as explained will run deep so an extra 2nd still gets two top 40 players.

Duffield is reporting in The West that Witherden hasn't actually committed to the move yet.

- He would be taking less money playing for West Coast than what he is currently guaranteed at Brisbane (might explain Lions chipping in)\
- He would likely get more opportunity at West Coast next year, but if Birchall finishes up in 2021, he may get opportunities there too.
- If Witherden agrees it will be an easy trade for a 3rd rounder.

Sounds like he is ”withering” on the move.

As someone who is mates with him I support this very much. Sort of a Sicily/ Haynes type and gets very passionate on the field

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

That long raking spear like left foot of his at times reminds me a bit of Birchall / Haynes .

Actually now that you mention it he does have quite a few Sicily traits ... being a campaigner is fortunately not one of them.
Great intercept mark and reads the ball so well in flight, also has a hard edge to him that's controlled but effective.

I have been a huge fan for some time now. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
As someone who is mates with him I support this very much. Sort of a Sicily/ Haynes type and gets very passionate on the field
Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Since your mates, any chance he feigns a bad boy Jack tent incident to put other clubs off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back