List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This year's draft is heavily compromised. Covid 19 notwithstanding we might get a full year of footy into next year's crop. Plus list sizes will be smaller this year. Tomorrow is going to be a very busy day it would seem. Not sure how we get Witherden now given we have such late picks though.

Lions don’t want picks this year so one of the future picks we just acquired should do it. Preferably Sydney’s third rounder but maybe Port’s second rounder. They’re unlikely to drop down the ladder so there won’t be much difference between those picks really.

Let’s put this into perspective. This years draft is hugely compromised, our pick in the 30’s would probably be mid 40’s come draft night plus the draft is also an average one, not to mention hugely speculative as most of them played hardly any football this year.

We now go into a far superior draft with an extra second rounder AND we get the future third round pick to get Witherden as well as picking up another third round pick for this year and improving two spots on our own.

I’m probably one of the few who thinks this was a smart trade.

TLDR Version: We trade Hickey for Witherden and a third round pick and bank our second till next year when the draft won’t be compromised as much and will have a far deeper pool to choose from.

This year's draft is heavily compromised. Covid 19 notwithstanding we might get a full year of footy into next year's crop. Plus list sizes will be smaller this year. Tomorrow is going to be a very busy day it would seem. Not sure how we get Witherden now given we have such late picks though.

Back from silliness, it’ll likely be for next years draft - either the Port R2 or the Sydney R3.

I would advise against that, since my rage will likely spill out across the board.
I hear this as "I'll need a 24hr ban from the board, my rage is past imminent"

What was Hickey's value to us really? He'd probably 3rd or 4th in line for a game if everyone was fit in his position?

Good luck to him, hope he goes well and gets some game time with the Swans.

Opens up a list spot and more picks means more chance of finding a best 22 player

I'd be much happier with the Hickey deal if you flogs hadn't been talking up Swans pick 25 all week.. DS.
Lol yeah, it's pretty funny.

Hickey for a late first rounder and Hewett + Witherden for our eighth rounder! All based on some deadshits dribbling crap on AFL radio trying to come up with things to say for 8 hours.

Hickey was never going to get us much and if no one had speculated in the first place, we would have all assumed he'd get traded for peanuts anyway

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was Hickey's value to us really? He'd probably 3rd or 4th in line for a game if everyone was fit in his position?

Where do you pull this from?

Try 2nd in line. He's literally straight into the side as #1 ruck the second Naitanui goes down.

Now if Nic gets injured we're left with an injury prone spud (Vardy) or an undersized FWD/RCK whos played 3 games (Williams)

Project ruck Jamieson isn't even worth mentioning at this point.

On face value i don't like the deal at all, given Hickeys importance to our list. He was the mainstay of our ruck division. The most "solid" and durable ruck we have.

If it helps land Witherden however, that's a different story.

Try 2nd in line. He's literally straight into the side as #1 ruck the second Naitanui goes down.

Now of Nic gets injured we're left with an injury prone spud (Vardy) or an undersized FWD/RCK whos played 3 games (Williams)

Project ruck Jamieson isn't worth mentioning at this point.

On face value i don't like the deal at all, given Hickeys importance to our list. He was the mainstay of our rick division. The most "solid" and durable ruck we have.

If you throw out the OP's caveat that everyone was fit then I suppose you're right.

Out : Hickey, 34, 60

In : 34(2021), 39(2021), 58, 62

2021 picks based on 2020 positions of port and Sydney and are in a far less compromised draft so less likely to be pushed back than the pick 34 we had

So a marginally better 2nd round pick depending on how far off the cliff port fall, an extra pick this year (58) and an extra third next year for Hickey tied to Sydney

Is a bit of a meh trade but not terrible and gets a fair bit better if one of those 2021 picks is used to bring in Witherden, preferably Sydney’s 3rd

That would mean Hickey for Witherden +58 and this years 34 swapped for ports 2021 second rounder

Coupled with Langdon for 54 and that’s a decent trade period with the hand we had whilst retaining all required players

So...umm...Hickey for 2x 3rd round picks?
Better hope Sydney finish on the wrong end of the ladder again so the 2nd round pick is in the 20's and the 3rd is the 40's next year.
Otherwise it'll just be two 3rd round picks this year with no upgrades on next year's picks.
Edit: Didn't notice the 2nd round pick is tied with Port. So only an upgrade on our 3rd ext year...

The future 2nd is linked to Port isn't it?

Basically the deal is Hickey for 58.

Plus we swap our 2020 pick 34 and 2020 pick 60 for Ports 2021 2nd and Swans 2021 3rd.

So we currently now hold one :thumbsu: :thumbsu: 2021 1st, two 2021 2nds and two 2021 3rds.

I am ok with this with next years draft looking better, deeper and less compromised. We use the picks or use them to trade for someone!

Now if Nic gets injured we're left with an injury prone spud (Vardy) or an undersized FWD/RCK whos played 3 games (Williams)

Project ruck Jamieson isn't even worth mentioning at this point.

On face value i don't like the deal at all, given Hickeys importance to our list. He was the mainstay of our ruck division. The most "solid" and durable ruck we have.

....but at the end of it all, he wanted to leave and they gave him a 3 year deal.

The club treat their players well, especially a 29 year old who in an ideal world would not play a game next year.

This isn’t ‘vital Pre-McGovern key defender’ Mitch Brown...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back