List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. Other Assorted Crap. 2020 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the chances our we are most probably going to Rookie Rioli & Vennebles. Re contract Jetta, Hutchings & Vardy. Take 2 selections in the draft (any other year we would have to take 3) and take 2 rookie selections (not including Rioli/Venebles)

Now that we have that clarity on list sizes, this is where we stand on vacant list spots

Senior

Senior or rookie

Rookie or vacant

Cat B (applied for Venables/Rioli)

Un-signed or uncertain
1. Ainsworth
2. Vardy
3. Hutchings
4. Ah Chee
5. J. Jones
6. Jetta
7. Venables
8. Rioli

So we have:
- 4-6 senior list spots vacant
- 0-6 rookie spots vacant
- 0-2 cat b spots vacant
- 5-12 total list spots vacant

You’d expect we use 1-3 ND picks on new players?

Now that we have that clarity on list sizes, this is where we stand on vacant list spots

Senior

Senior or rookie

Rookie or vacant

Un-signed or uncertain
1. Ainsworth
2. Vardy
3. Hutchings
4. Ah Chee
5. J. Jones
6. Jetta
7. Venables
8. Rioli

So we have:
- 0-2 cat b spots vacant

That doesn't include the recent pick-ups? It seems to leave plenty of space for all current players or am I reading it wrong?

I dont see the point of Hutchings unless he is keen to be a rookie.

At the moment if a spot opens up in the midfield then i want Xon in there to develop even if early on he might not as much impact as a fit Hutchings. Hell i would rather we played Ainsworth purely to see if he has any development left and mysteriously comes good.

IF all our mids are fit we have a stacked midfield + Duggan and some other defenders/forwards running through there i can not see a spot for Hutchings.

Does anyone not want Hutch to get another contract? Surely he is good enough to be on the list?

Hutchings is good enough at his best.....which means being fit.

So the query isn't 'is he good enough' but 'is his body up to it?'

Regarding the older guys I now stop and ask "can I see this player helping us win a flag in 2021?"

With Ah chee I think not. To win we need better players keeping Ah chee out of the side.

With Hutchings, sure if he is fit I could see him helping our midfield defensive structure. But he needs to be fit! He does another hammie in game next season its close to curtains as it would be the third time and you wouldn't risk that in a final.

Jetta, if he reached his best yes. But can he and will he?

Senior

Senior or rookie

Rookie or vacant

Un-signed or uncertain
1. Ainsworth
2. Vardy
3. Hutchings
4. Ah Chee
5. J. Jones
6. Jetta
7. Venables
8. Rioli

So we have:
- 0-2 cat b spots vacant

Move Rioli and Venables to CAT B, move Hutch to the Rookie list, retain Jones as a Rookie. Retain Ainsworth, Vardy, Jetta and Ah Chee on the senior list. Take 2 in the National Draft and 2 in the Rookie Draft.

Get rid of both.

One has no impact, the other can't get on the park

Hey I wouldn’t lose much sleep...but I can see them being kept around.

Ah Chee is just not an AFL standard anything but would make a good WAFL player - I guess Port had that one right all along.

Do you cut a guy like that and roll the dice with Narkle or Parker or whoever and see if they can cut it? Or do you take a long shot in the 60s and more than likely delist in a year?

I would rather we cut Ah Chee and probably Hutch (as great a servant as he has been) and get some younger/ more durable players that either have some upside or that can plug and play a role (like Hutch but younger and more durable). Without trying to expand our depth, we will just end up with the same not quite good enough team.

I like our approach this year with our trade ins.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would rather we cut Ah Chee and probably Hutch (as great a servant as he has been) and get some younger/ more durable players that either have some upside or that can plug and play a role (like Hutch but younger and more durable). Without trying to expand our depth, we will just end up with the same not quite good enough team.

I like our approach this year with our trade ins.
Any other year I would agree but with our trash heap picks this year I think Ah Chee and Hutchings (to the Rookie List) will offer more than pick 114 and pick 135

Hey I wouldn’t lose much sleep...but I can see them being kept around.

Ah Chee is just not an AFL standard anything but would make a good WAFL player - I guess Port had that one right all along.

Do you cut a guy like that and roll the dice with Narkle or Parker or whoever and see if they can cut it? Or do you take a long shot in the 60s and more than likely delist in a year?

Ben Sokol from Subi is a plug and play option. Mature aged at 25yo, good size medium forward at 186cm. 85kegs means he's not a twig. Cheap option till Rioli returns. Who knows, WC may just find a keeper (or a 1st slip) in him. And... couldn't be worse than Archie. Unpossible.

Any other year I would agree but with our trash heap picks this year I think Ah Chee and Hutchings (to the Rookie List) will offer more than pick 114 and pick 135
Think we need to develop another tagger/defensive mid other than Hutchings. One who has Bullitt like disposal. Hutchings more than often undoes his good work with a less than poor use of the ball.

Ben Sokol from Subi is a plug and play option. Mature aged at 25yo, good size medium forward at 186cm. 85kegs means he's not a twig. Cheap option till Rioli returns. Who knows, WC may just find a keeper (or a 1st slip) in him. And... couldn't be worse than Archie. Unpossible.
Nah. Has performed OK at WAFL level but in my opinion a medium/small forward needs to be a master in creating space and Sokol has the turning circle of a triple road train.

We are going to go hard next year for a flag so the likes of Hutchings, Jetta and Ah Chee are going to be better than some rookie who most likely won’t even play.

The club has indicated we will give it one more roll of the dice then we should see some drastic list changes next year.

Kennedy
Hurn
Jetta
Hutchings
Ah Chee
Vardy
Jones
Venables?
Rioli?
Foley?
O’Neil?
Johnson?

We are going to have a huge turnover next year and will invest heavily in the draft unless someone like Cripps becomes available. We will have some decent coin in our cap as well.

If we can bring in someone like Narkle in then great! if not go to the draft and pick one youngster and if there’s a slider we love take two. Apart from that re load with the players we have that at least know our system and the boys and give 2021 a bloody good shake.

True, but there is also some quality (OK, probably more potential than quality) that has been delisted this year - that in other years probably gets retained.

We now only have to use pick 62 (or whatever that ends up as) - and the rest can be DFA's, SSP's or even held over for mid-season draft (or, dare I say it, we under-pay on the salary cap and chase a certain free-agent next year with the additional $ available).

If Hutch, Jetta (and Ah Chee, but probably not as much) are fit and in the B22 we obviously want them on the list. But I'd probably prefer Johnson playing the Jetta role and Ainsworth playing the Hutch role at WAFL level rather than having them both on the list playing WAFL for the season.

I'm hoping we leave a couple of list spots open - and if required/desired we pick up a player or two through SSP or early/mid season drafts.

Does this leave open any spots for the SPP period to pick up any DFA's?
I wouldn't think so. I reckon there's a fair chance that one of the players a club delists and agrees to take as a Rookie might be looked at by us come pick 86 if there's nothing left that takes our fancy.

It definitely happened at least once in the first half against the doggies. Can't remember if it happened any more than that. He only played 3 games and fanfooty seems to suggest he finished the matches he played against the tigers and bobmers.
Not only does his right leg suffer from hamstring issues but it struggles to kick straight.

Does anyone know if Matt Parker has a good tank on him? Wouldn't be a bad midfield inclusion as depth if he can run. He's crafty, has grunt and is still young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back