Coventry , Lockett to be replaced by Lloyd and ?? for Dons games at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

the taxi rank outside the ground will now be referred to as 'the hurley', the toilets will be called the 'NLM' because its a great place to score and the doughnut stand will be called 'the neagle'.;)

:D And the emergency exits to be known as the McPhees.

the taxi rank outside the ground will now be referred to as 'the hurley', the toilets will be called the 'NLM' because its a great place to score and the doughnut stand will be called 'the neagle'.;)

And you will always be referred to as the guy who is too gutless to show his true colours. ;):thumbsu:

you really need to end your obsession and concentrate on the things that are the most important in your life like.........................umm......football....fail:rolleyes:

Yep i'm so obssesed with football that i even create fake accounts and pretend to follow teams that i despise......oh wait......:eek::eek:

Really rather tawdry effort by the dons.

But I'm torn between annoyance and admiration for what is in effect a rather impressively good real life troll.

The wank about 'its only for our home games' is daft. The whole point about naming part of a ground, is it is a league wide recognition of someone who is so respected that every supporter group will look at it and say 'yep, fair enough'- in a sport full of parochialism and intense rivalries, there can be no greater tribute than that really.

Presumably every team with a home game at etihad should have the same right to follow Essendon's lead- would be quite hilariously stupid if the 'ends' had a name change every other week?

"Yes and the ball is kicked out from the Gehrig end, for people watching on television, that's what you may know as the Grant end, formerly the Lloyd end, formerly the Coventry end...."

I reckon this falls into one of those embarassingly stupid things clubs do sometimes which you don't need to get too upset about because, one year from today it will be dead and buried.

Exactly. It's not called the Lockett end to recognise the achievements of Tony Lockett the St Kilda and Sydney Swans player. It's to recognise Tony Locket the Australian Football player. Same with Coventry.

What we'll see is every club do thise because let's be honest, a lot of AFL administrators are morons, and the naming of the stands will have no meaning because no one will actually play there when they are referred to as their proper names.

On another note, the O'Reilly, Bradman, Noble, Messenger, Trumper and Churchill stands at the SCG are going to be renamed the Hall, O'Loughlin, Kelly, Dunkley, Crouch and Maxfield stands for the Swans home games. Sound good?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carey kicked four goals in three Grand Finals, that's laughable.
Carey was not a full forward but thanks for your irrelevant contribution :rolleyes:

Why must there always be a toss bucket who has to turn every thread into a pissing contest by desperately resorting to the "my team is better than your team" feeble argument? FFS, stick to the topic or piss off!

Fair point, and considering you aren't for the idea I won't ask you this.

But to those that support it, how would you feel about St Kilda renaming an end after Lowe? Or Carlton naming one after Kernahan?

Who cares? Its their home game, they cough up cash to Colonial Stadium, why can't they do what they want?

Its not disrespectful, its honouring some of their own greats.

Jeez some people need their testes to descend and stop the bitchy moaning.

Does it really matter? It's only going to be for Essendon home games. Everyone else knows them as the Lockett & Coventry ends. Nothing Essendon do will change that.

Spot On

It is only for Essendon games at Etihad - And it is to be primarily used to increase tribalism amongst Essendon supporters and with the other features in use and mooted to build up a more intimidating atmosphere for the opposition.

Lockett and Coventry are true legends of the game. Both kicked over 1000 goals. Lloyd kicked 700-800. Lloyd is a good player but I just don't think its right to do this. If they do Campbell Brown might light it on fire.

What a ridiculous argument !

Yes - Lockett and Coventry are legends of the game - But why did the AFL name the two ends of Etihad Stadium - after full forwards - Why not name legendary rovers like Bunton, Reynolds, Matthews etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coventry , Lockett to be replaced by Lloyd and ?? for Dons games at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back