Coventry , Lockett to be replaced by Lloyd and ?? for Dons games at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: The "Lloyd" end - WTF?

this would be ****in stupid... give the ends of the ground special names just for dons matches? they're still the same ends and should honor the same people 365 days a year

No different to the Doggies calling the docklands wing the Doug Hawkins wing.

Only this time, its Essendon.
Except for the fact the wing doesn't already have a name.

Fair enough, so I assume you have no issue in Collingwood renaming the GSS the McGuire stand (this is 1 example) when Collingwood play Essendon on Anzac Day at the G?
If they let you, knock yourselves out.

speaks volumes about the integrity of etihad as a stadium. selling out to the highest bidder, or pandering to the largest (of the tennants) and most sensitive fanbase.

Really rather tawdry effort by the dons.

But I'm torn between annoyance and admiration for what is in effect a rather impressively good real life troll.

The wank about 'its only for our home games' is daft. The whole point about naming part of a ground, is it is a league wide recognition of someone who is so respected that every supporter group will look at it and say 'yep, fair enough'- in a sport full of parochialism and intense rivalries, there can be no greater tribute than that really.

Presumably every team with a home game at etihad should have the same right to follow Essendon's lead- would be quite hilariously stupid if the 'ends' had a name change every other week?

"Yes and the ball is kicked out from the Gehrig end, for people watching on television, that's what you may know as the Grant end, formerly the Lloyd end, formerly the Coventry end...."

I reckon this falls into one of those embarassingly stupid things clubs do sometimes which you don't need to get too upset about because, one year from today it will be dead and buried.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No different to the Doggies calling the docklands wing the Doug Hawkins wing.

Only this time, its Essendon.

I have never heard a commentator or supporter at the ground say Hawkins wing. Is there an officially sign, don't think so.
Anyway if the AFL and Collins decided to name the wings there a few other players in front of Hawkins based on achievement.

Keith Greig, Robbie Flower, Peter Matera to name a few.

The wank about 'its only for our home games' is daft. The whole point about naming part of a ground, is it is a league wide recognition of someone who is so respected that every supporter group will look at it and say 'yep, fair enough'- in a sport full of parochialism and intense rivalries, there can be no greater tribute than that really.

Presumably every team with a home game at etihad should have the same right to follow Essendon's lead- would be quite hilariously stupid if the 'ends' had a name change every other week?

funnily enough i remember in 1996 st kilda had an agreement at waverley where only their club song could be played on their home match days. i went to a game hawthorn won there where our song wasn't played when we ran onto the ground, and wasn't played when we won at the end.

that was round one and by st kilda's next home game the AFL had stepped in and altered the situation back to the norm.

Everyone can get stuffed.

I like Lockett but I love Lloyd more. Coventry was great but as an Essendon fan I would rather be sitting at the Hird/Reynolds/Coleman end.

I fully support the club in making our home games at Docklands a red and black cauldron.

It's what the Melbourne clubs are missing, a sense of a home game atmosphere. We need to do whatever it takes to get that back now the local grounds are gone.

What can't 40,000 Essendon supporters create enough atmosphere for their team.

Oooo look mommy a Lloydy banner above the goals at one end , that should inspire the boys , to win infront of 40,000+ of us , hey mommy don't you think.

Poor form on the Bombers behalf if this is true. Those names were placed at each end for a reason, kick in the guts to have them blocked out to please a minority.

This is actually old news. (I'm not sure where I read it before - perhaps at the Essendon website.)

I agree that it's a bad move. The two ends at Docklands are called Coventry and Lockett - covering one of them up with a banner that reads Lloyd is just plain silly and disrespectful.

Essendon bashing thread, same Collingwood supporters.

There is opposition to this from supporters of many clubs. Thanks for making it about Coliingwood, though.

I'm pretty indifferent myself because it is consistent with Colonial/Telstra/Etihad's highest bidder attitude and at this ground nothing is sacred and anything will be done for a dollar. They even sponsored Grant Warrington's Sydney-Hobart yacht and two days later their mast broke and will cost a million dollars to replace!!! Everything Collo touches turns to mould.

Imagine if this sort of thing happened at the MCG and Lloyd's name replaced Ponsford's? - there would be a universal outcry.

Poor form on the Bombers behalf if this is true. Those names were placed at each end for a reason, kick in the guts to have them blocked out to please a minority.
Yeah, we're disrespecting the memory of all those goals they kicked at Docklands...

I think it's fairly lame to rename the existing ends' names with Lloyd and whomever for Essendon's home games. Probably somewhat disrespectful to Coventry and Lockett.

Moreso I think it's a pretty disppointing effort from Essendon if they really want to celebrate Lloyd's achievements; a temporary banner covering up an existing memorial every second week? Is that the best they could come up with? I'd be more than a little embarrassed if I were Lloyd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coventry , Lockett to be replaced by Lloyd and ?? for Dons games at Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back