2nds Crows in SANFL season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't one who said that but a cap of 17 AFL players in finals only is not that big a change. A cap of 15 for the whole season on the other hand...

I suggested a finals only limit a number of times and many posters were adamant that we held all the cards and the SANFL could GAGF. It was exceedingly obvious how this would pan out but many were blinded by hatred to what is a very reasonable and commonsense amendment.

Don't care about 2nd string premierships. As above, believe development is the thing.
Watch out if Pear win it. We'll be bombarded with 'Most Successful Club in the Universe all off-season.

The players who spend a lot of time in the SANFL do care as they're trying to be successful at the level they're playing before, hopefully, getting selected in the AFL side. You can bet that the coaches like the extra pressure that finals bring and the confidence that successful campaigns add to players. You can bet that the SANFL players were as bitterly disappointed to be knocked out of the finals as were the AFL level players.
Development is all well and good but a culture of success helps breed future success and Adelaide would be hoping to achieve development and success at whatever level they can.

The players who spend a lot of time in the SANFL do care as they're trying to be successful at the level they're playing before, hopefully, getting selected in the AFL side. You can bet that the coaches like the extra pressure that finals bring and the confidence that successful campaigns add to players. You can bet that the SANFL players were as bitterly disappointed to be knocked out of the finals as were the AFL level players.
Development is all well and good but a culture of success helps breed future success and Adelaide would be hoping to achieve development and success at whatever level they can.
don't think so, they didn't really care after the AFL side got done the night before (and the chance of getting selected for a prelim disappeared). They were clearly flat because they knew they were playing for nothing at that point.

Re-read my post. Maybe I should have added the personal pronoun I to ensure clarity in my post.

It's not like our SANFL side is anything other than our AFL reserves. It doesn't really matter how many AFL listed players are allowed in finals because we're not in the SANFL to actually win the SANFL flag
I hate this kind of talk with a passion !!

Can young Edwards play for us in the SANFL like other Vic clubs do with father sons
No ...unless you've already signaled your intention to nominate the player as a father/son .....doubt we're prepared to jump that early ATS

Can young Edwards play for us in the SANFL like other Vic clubs do with father sons
Different systems They have the TAC comp for the underage players who can play for a VFL during the year as they have not ties to the juniors player.
In SA the SANFL club run the Junior comps and the Player are tied to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-12-16/schoenmakers-retained-in-development-squad
SANFL Star Search nominee Dylan Schoenmakers headlines a host of returning players who have re-committed to Adelaide’s SANFL development squad.

Schoenmakers, 20, will remain in the squad for a third season after playing 12 games with the SANFL Crows this year.

The gifted small forward, who is the cousin of Hawthorn premiership player Ryan, won the SANFL’s Star Search nomination for Round 20 last season after bagging three goals from 11 possessions and five marks.

Schoenmakers also booted 17 goals from 10 games with Division One club Tea Tree Gully in the South Australian Amateur Football League this year, including a bag of five in the club’s win over Unley.

He made his SANFL debut in Adelaide’s 2015 season-opener against North Adelaide.

Former Central District junior Josh Wittwer has also returned for a third year. The hard-running onballer has played 16 games in two seasons with the SANFL Crows and won a premiership with Hahndorf in the Hills Football League this year.

SANFL introduces finals cap

Matthew Johncock, the cousin of Crows great Graham, is back for his third campaign.

Scott Spriggs, who played 14 League games with Adelaide this year, and Matthew Leigh, who made his SANFL debut with the Crows, also return for a second season in the Club’s development squad.

A group of about 35 players from local and country clubs across the state have been in training with the Club’s SANFL coaching staff at Thebarton Oval since the start of December.

“To have a core group of players return to the development program gives us that foundation to build on with some of the newer faces. They know the standards expected of them,” Crows SANFL Coach Ryan O’Keefe said.

“We’re proud to be able to provide an opportunity for these players to experience a taste of life in an elite sporting environment.

“From what we’ve seen already, the early signs are positive.”

Adelaide’s SANFL development squad is an attractive option for players looking for a pathway into League football.

The 2017 SANFL premiership season fixture will be released on Saturday at 9am.

The views in this article are those of the author and not necessarily those of the AFL or its clubs

Exclusive to afc.com.au

don't think so, they didn't really care after the AFL side got done the night before (and the chance of getting selected for a prelim disappeared). They were clearly flat because they knew they were playing for nothing at that point.
What! you seriously believe they thought they had a chance of selection? That boat sailed once the injured players kept their spots rather than delve into the SANFL side for replacements.
Had no bearing on their performance. I think they would have loved to win that game considering the poor performance of the "preffered" players the night before.

Only 3 byes next season.

2017 SANFL MACCA’S LEAGUE FIXTURE HIGHLIGHTS

• As much as 65 per cent of matches played in the traditional Saturday afternoon time slot of 2.10pm.
  • Each Match of the Round to be telecast on Channel 7’s main station.
  • A total of 11 matches being played under lights – including 7 on Friday, one Thursday, one Saturday and two twilight games.
  • Anzac Day returns to the suburbs with Sturt to host the Eagles at Peter Motley Oval on Tuesday April 25.
  • Multicultural Month will take place across the three rounds in June while Indigenous Round will be held in Round 7.
  • At least one game in regional South Australia with South Adelaide hosting Adelaide at Encounter Bay on the Fleurieu Peninsula on Easter Sunday. Glenelg’s contest against Adelaide at Bordertown Oval in Round 15 is still to be confirmed.
  • All finals will again be played at the Adelaide Oval, with the 2017 SANFL Macca’s League Grand Final being played on Sunday September 24.
  • The 2017 SANFL Macca’s League season will be played across 18 minor rounds, with three split rounds spread evenly in Round 5, 10 and 15.

It would be interesting if we stacked our top up players with youngsters who just missed out on the draft. From their perspective they will be playing in a strong league and have access to AFL coaching and facilities. I presume we can't do this with SA lads who would be tied to an SANFL club? We would also have additional information on these players to decide whether to pick them up as a rookie although we would have no draft priority on them.

I expect much wailing if Tyson starts performing well in the SANFL.

It would be interesting if we stacked our top up players with youngsters who just missed out on the draft. From their perspective they will be playing in a strong league and have access to AFL coaching and facilities. I presume we can't do this with SA lads who would be tied to an SANFL club? We would also have additional information on these players to decide whether to pick them up as a rookie although we would have no draft priority on them.

I expect much wailing if Tyson starts performing well in the SANFL.

It's how the top up's should probably be done, Crows and Port have a draft each year for the best SA kids who didn't get drafted and all top ups must be under 20 (maybe 21). So once they hit 20 they move onto a SANFL club having spent a couple years getting trained by AFL quality coaches.

Remove this Banner Ad

2nds Crows in SANFL season 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Back