Rumour CROWS-RELATED TRADE RUMOURS - ALL trade rumours go here!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Pav stuff is insulting to him, and us.

He's gone, we missed our chance, he isn't the type of bloke to walk from Freo now, it's embarrassing that we bring it up every year.
Ok, how about Gibbs then?

The Pav stuff is insulting to him, and us.

He's gone, we missed our chance, he isn't the type of bloke to walk from Freo now, it's embarrassing that we bring it up every year.

I agree. I'm sick of hearing about it every year. We had our chance and chose Carey. We have been chasing him for the last 8 years trying to attone for that mistake. There is no chance he'll leave them, especially now that they have a young, talented, exciting team that should play finals over the last few years of Pav's career. He's been loyal to them for a very long time and it's a testament to his character that he has. Personally after this long I'd rather see Pav be a 1 club player and finish his career with the Dockers.

Couldn't believe Rowe and Cornes salivating at the prospect of getting him back to the crows on the radio - despite people ringing up saying sensible things like - he's too old with respect to the devlopment of our list, or where would we play him since our key positions (apart from ruck) are pretty set for the next 5-10 years- the answer from Cornes - player like Pav - you'd just find a spot for him.

We need to get over this Pav thing. We don't need a 29 year old gun forward - we finally have a very nice young talented forward line developing. Go after gun mids or a quality ruck by all means - but for the first time in a while - we do not need Pav.

Pav is easy to find a spot for. He would be our best midfielder.

And our best Key Forward
And our best Key Defender
and pretty much our best anything else

IF Pav were to come we would fit him in easily:

Pav CHF for the next 2-3 years, Walker FF, Tippett Ruck, Davis CHB

After that, Pav CHB for the last 2-3 years of his career, Davis CHF, Tippett best ruckman in the league, Walker kicking 80+ goals a year.

I can't see it happening, but if we don't at least ask the question, we aren't doing our job as a club.

I don't personally think we are embarassing him and us. I just don't think he is the player we should go after at this point in time. He may be our best midfielder - true. He'd also be our best key forward and probably our best CHB. But all that does is hold back the development of our young players. Now if we're talking about getting a young gun quality midfielder who is in their early to mid 20's then we're talking about a guy who will grow and develop with our youngsters and will be in that 100-200 game bracket as we challenge for a flag. With Pav you have no doubt an absolute gun player - but he will be 29 before the 2011 season starts. If we were on the cusp of a flag then I'd go for it for sure. Really not sure he's the best fit with us right now. Plus I'd be surprised if he left Freo and think he'll be a one club player.

Gibbs or Griffen on the other hand......move heaven and earth to get.

The Pav ship has truely sailed in my books, IMO recruiting Pav will stall the development of our young players that are marked to play in the role that Pav would play.....

Question, has Pav turned 30 yet?

If so, at best given the AFC policy on offering long term deals to players over 30, the best we could offer him is a year by year deal ?

I love the Pav but he's no longer what we need. 2-3 years ago yes, now, not so much.

Hurn or Griffen should be the players we are willing to trade our left nut for.

To a lesser extent Palmer even, I have been reading mixed opinions of him on here but I think he will be quality, especially if he wants out.

Pav out of Freo leaves Freo where? Finals? Just outside the 8?

How do both teh sides stackup without Pav? I'd argue ours is a fraction ahead but obviously Sandi is a huge factor.

So Pav out of Freo and into our sides - everything else being equal (which it never is) and I reckon we take their spot in the 8.

You have to ask the question even though a Griffen is more desireable for all the reasons above.

Id be really disappointed in the club if they went hard for Pav this time around. We have a group of kids developing a new team culture together, they dont need a figurehead at the end of his career, they need a senior player(s) in or approaching their prime, to add to the mix.

Gibbs
Griffen
Cooney

Any or all of these three would be nice :thumbsu:

I'd love Cooney back but I think his recent comments re:Adelaide made it very clear he's basically a Victorian.

Feenix - so many of the posters here just want to win flags vs building an ongoing culture of making finals consistently to 'be in the hunt'.

Where do you think chasing Pav sits?
Why do you think they club are chasing him?

Personally I think chasing Pav sits in the 'we think we can contest for the flag in next 2 years' category.

Why chase him? Well the above is part of it.
Another reason - increased attendance.
Go take a look at our history of attendances - at its peak was 1993.
What was special about that season was Mods and consistent, exciting, level of performance in home games.
I reckon that is a big issue for the club at the moment and potentially a reason they've gone to ask Pav where he's at - they want to bring some spark back and you need Marquee players for that.
You could argue it also adds to the culture of the club - I reckon the club probably would anyway.

We keep complaining about AFL giving us a better fixture to increase attendance - I hope the club realises, and in this case maybe they have, the product we put on the park is as significant for attendances as the scheduling. Star players, more inspiriing game plan a good place to address things and more in our control than fixture.

He turns 29 on New Years Eve this year.
Pav CHF for the next 2-3 years, Walker FF, Tippett Ruck, Davis CHB

After that, Pav CHB for the last 2-3 years of his career, Davis CHF, Tippett best ruckman in the league, Walker kicking 80+ goals a year.
You're expecting him to continue playing for 4-6 years? As previously noted, he turns 29 during the off-season, so that would mean that he'll last until the age of 32-34.

I suppose that's not outside the realms of possibility, though history suggests that WA based players have a relatively short shelf life due to the hassles of flying across the country every 2nd week. The flight from Melbourne to Perth is about 5 hours in duration (give or take, depending on the headwinds), it's a far cry from the 45min jaunt to Adelaide. The end result is that no WA based player has yet reached 300 games and very few last beyond the age of 30.

If we were guaranteed to get a minimum of 4 years service then I'd jump at the trade. My gut feel is that he only has 2-3 years left in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. Pav would be great, but there is less chance of securing Pav than there is Griffen. Ain't no way Pav is coming back to Adelaide now. Better off forgetting it.

If we were guaranteed to get a minimum of 4 years service then I'd jump at the trade. My gut feel is that he only has 2-3 years left in him.

Initially i was in the 'no way' camp but i now i can see some merit in it.

Let's say he has 3 years left (though he is a natural athlete who could be G Ablett Snr type in a FP for quite some time i reckon). Therefore, purely on age, i think we should go for Griffen or any other TOP tier mid first (i don't count Hurn in that category...he's simply a very good player who would bolster the depth of our best 18).

However, if that doesn't happen and in the miracle Pav wants to come, I'd seriously consider it for the following reasons:

- He would be our best midfielder (and is at least as good as Griffen imo)
- He would be our only current excellent option of a lead-up HF presence (our others are either flankers or better deep)
- He would be excellent coverage if Rutten went down over these next 2 years before Talia/Young/Davis/Thompson are big enough and good enough to take the opposition gorilla/champion.
- He has experience and leadership capacity of which a decent void has opened up. It might be players choice and all but here is a true AFL captain who will fill the breach till the next true contender is ready.
- There is nothing to say that we could not be premiership contenders in the next 2+ years, especially with a blue-chip utility.
- Even if we aren't, the development of our young blokes would be greatly enhanced playing alongside Pav...it only means that player number 22 becomes number 23 and misses out but that's life.
- We've been burnt by the Carey decision (why, why, why isn't Pav a Crow already:mad:) but this is different. No baggage, reasonably sound body, still a champion player.

Dunno what it would take on top of pick 14 (and a massive suitcase stuffed with cash) but given his age that's debatable.

If it's Pav for 3 years or Hurn for 8, I'd take Pav all things considered.

The bigger question is whether we have Pav for 3 or the next potential Danger in the draft.

You aren't comparing their situations, are you?

Gibbs is a lot younger, a lot less ingrained, on less money, isn't the Captain, is being played out of position, and appears out of Ratten's favour.

We'd be stupid not to ask the question, but the Pav ship has sailed.

Out of Ratten's favour? :confused:

While I questioned him being played in defence initially, his last two games down there have been brilliant. Looked a lot like Hodge marking everything that came near him - finished with a game high 4 contested marks vs Freo.

Signed a 2 year deal earlier in the season. Definitely won't be traded.

You aren't comparing their situations, are you?

Gibbs is a lot younger, a lot less ingrained, on less money, isn't the Captain, is being played out of position, and appears out of Ratten's favour.

We'd be stupid not to ask the question, but the Pav ship has sailed.
Nah, just having a joke.

The number of fruitless Come Home Pav campaigns on our board is only matched by the number of equally fruitless Come Home Bryce ones.

Feenix - so many of the posters here just want to win flags vs building an ongoing culture of making finals consistently to 'be in the hunt'.

Where do you think chasing Pav sits?
Why do you think they club are chasing him?

Personally I think chasing Pav sits in the 'we think we can contest for the flag in next 2 years' category.

Why chase him? Well the above is part of it.
Another reason - increased attendance.
Go take a look at our history of attendances - at its peak was 1993.
What was special about that season was Mods and consistent, exciting, level of performance in home games.
I reckon that is a big issue for the club at the moment and potentially a reason they've gone to ask Pav where he's at - they want to bring some spark back and you need Marquee players for that.
You could argue it also adds to the culture of the club - I reckon the club probably would anyway.

We keep complaining about AFL giving us a better fixture to increase attendance - I hope the club realises, and in this case maybe they have, the product we put on the park is as significant for attendances as the scheduling. Star players, more inspiriing game plan a good place to address things and more in our control than fixture.

Yeah I do see merit in recruiting a "marquee" type player in a city like ours. I just dont know whether Pav is that player anymore. Bad shoulders and 29 is harder for KPP's than any other player type, and I cant see him having more than 2 years of quality footy left in him, 3 at the most. Would he be the difference between a flag or not in that period of time for us? I really dont think so.

We need an experienced, quick, classy midfielder to help the development of Danger and Sloane and the incoming Ottens, and to assist Thommo. I dont even know whether Griffen is that player, but he's a closer fit than Pavlich in my view. I'd love to pinch a Brad Sewell or Clinton Young from the Hawks, or a Houli from Essendon. Gibbs or Cooney are the obvious ones but I think they're out of reach. Many may laugh, but I wouldnt even be averse to Kane Cornes if he was fit. We just need some toughness in the stoppages until our younger bodied blokes harden up.

We do have some excitement machines that should be enough to keep the members rocking up - Danger, Tippett, Walker, Sloane, a fit Porps - so we just need to top up with a bit of hardened experience in my view. I just think that we made our choice on Pav in 02 and it would seem to be a "Carey" type move to get him back in the twighlight of his career.

I'm not sure we need another in and under player or what people label as "elite"

perhaps recruiting an older out side mid would be beneficial, one that you can promise more game time than what ever club they are currently at or just a bigger pay packet.

Basiaclly the same deal as Luke Ball but an outside mid.

The Pav ship has truely sailed in my books, IMO recruiting Pav will stall the development of our young players that are marked to play in the role that Pav would play.....

If so, at best given the AFC policy on offering long term deals to players over 30, the best we could offer him is a year by year deal ?

I agree 100 percent

Even if he wanted to return home the price for him would be huge and whats the point in trading away quality youngsters when he will have 2-3 years maximum left of quality football.

As others have said, we had our chance to snare Pav back at the end of 2002 and we went for Carey instead. It's too late now and will only hinder the club if we went after him both from a trade cost perspective and from a development perspective. We would be selling the farm in an effort to get back to being in the hunt to make the bottom half of the eight rather than spending another year out of the eight while we are developing what we already have.

You're kidding right? Griffin for Kerr would be one of the stupidest trades on WCE's part if that were to happen.
Not so stupid, Kerr would spend the entire time injured... like the last 3 years.

Hell, if he doesn't spend every weekend high with Johncock and cost stiffy another year of nearly AA but not quite, it would be win for us.

This one has probably been mentioned, but I've heard it a few times, it is Knights for Angus Monfries.
Cos we need more small marking forwards that are not quite midfielders.

For Jacobs? You can have a direct swap for Jonathon Griffin.

If Port are offering Salopek, take it and run.
Seriously, have barely heard of this guy. I'd average more possesions than Maric if I was playing for Carlton.
Far, far better player than Griffen. His stats eclipse both your main ruckmen. Similar to Brisbane with Henderson. While he's a good player in his own right, with Brown and Bradshaw on the list, he was considered expendable.
Eclipse?

As in, blocks out the sun?

inigo_montoya_that_word.jpg

All the talk about Shaun Mckernan wanting to leave is rubbish I was at the Balaklava Cup today numerous crows players in the same tent as me (Tippett, Mckernan, Walker, Sloane, Mackay, Henderson and Griffin)
Spoke to Mckernan at length while at the bar and he is as sure as hell he is staying.
Abit off topic but must say bar Jonathon Griffin who was a drunk w***er the players were all more than willing to chat and I gave Henderson the tip for the winner in the cup :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back