Cunnington - under the radar and under the veil

Remove this Banner Ad

Osho

The significance of insignificance is significant.
Jul 9, 2021
AFL Club
GWS
This bloke is the one I like the most, have for years, great great player, media shy, still under rated and or ignored, every time I see him play I think, where are the plaudits? Apart from NM supporters, doesn't anyone else think this bloke is an extremely rare specimen of a player? It did flash through my mind watching the GF the Dogs could have done with some of his fortitude in the middle.

Anyway, just wanting to highlight this fellow, had a testicular tumour removed recently, obviously suffering stress, covid restrictions etc, and I was struck by his emotions in his runner up BaF speech. A touching speech revealing an emotional and vulnerable bloke underneath the tough and skilled footy warrior. He's gone up in my estimation if that was possible.

He has been an absolute favorite of mine for years. Perhaps I missed it but I thought his kicking/passing game went elite level as well this year.
- He just goes to show you can be tough and uncompromising on the field and not be a flog.

I hope he can come back and play at that level for a few more years, I feel he would help transition North to a finals contender in that time.

He really embodies how North supporters like to think of the club. Obviously it's all a bit of fluff (as is the mythology of any club), but his no-nonsense, nailing-the-fundamentals style of playing and the related aspects that bleed into his personality are really what you think of when "Shinboner Spirit" is spoken about.

That's all without mentioning that he's an absolute gun inside mid who could stand in Melbourne and handball a footy through a hula-hoop located in Devonport. Probably the most talented player North has drafted since 2000.

Big fan of Cunnington some of the best hands in the comp and makes great decisions ball in hand too. He would have been a genuine top 5/top 10 mid for the majority of his career if he was blessed with a better engine.

I think he would be rated much higher by other players and coaches than he is by the media or public
Not many inside mids better than him.

I believe he holds the all time record for most 20+ contested possession games as well as the record for most contested possessions in a game.

Genuine freak would like to have seen if he could have changed his body shape a little to get that TOG% up around 85 and be more involved in link up play.

That being said they got it above 80% this year for the first time in his career so maybe he’s still improving.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big fan of Cunnington some of the best hands in the comp and makes great decisions ball in hand too. He would have been a genuine top 5/top 10 mid for the majority of his career if he was blessed with a better engine.
But no AA selection ever if he was wearing the colours of Brisbane,Sydney,GWS,Geelong,
Richmond and your club he would b

I believe he holds the all time record for most 20+ contested possession games as well as the record for most contested possessions in a game.

As good as Cunnington is, I have him at 21 20+ contested possession career games, Josh Kennedy at 42 and Dangerfield at 38.

Cripps and Oliver both on 21 so you’d expect them to finish far beyond Cunnington, although Cripps has only managed one of those 20+ CP games over his last 37 games.

Cunnington’s 32 in a single game is the record.

Some others who I thought might be close to 21, like Tom Mitchell or Matt Priddis, we’re not that close. Bontempelli has only had one 20+ CP game in his entire career! Liberatore has 11. GAJ only had 17.

As good as Cunnington is, I have him at 21 20+ contested possession career games, Josh Kennedy at 42 and Dangerfield at 38.

Cripps and Oliver both on 21 so you’d expect them to finish far beyond Cunnington, although Cripps has only managed one of those 20+ CP games over his last 37 games.

Cunnington’s 32 in a single game is the record.

Some others who I thought might be close to 21, like Tom Mitchell or Matt Priddis, we’re not that close. Bontempelli has only had one 20+ CP game in his entire career! Liberatore has 11. GAJ only had 17.

Hmmmmm well I stand corrected

Be an AA player a number of times but when your a member of the most hated sporting club in Australia then your not respected by others.
It's laughable. I don't value any of those individual awards at all. We know who is the better of Cripps and Cunnington.

He has a good couple of years left in him. Then he’ll be off to Geelong.

north won't let him go. heart and soul of the club. he's probably planning to go back to his farm when he's done at north but I hope they keep him around as an assistant or development coach, he's been so good for the younger guys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cunnington - under the radar and under the veil

Remove this Banner Ad

Back