D4 D4 Section - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So based on this SFX are an "old boys" club? They actually have no link to the School at all they are a long way from even being on talking terms! this is the main reason that they are struggling zero feeder.

Maybe the "old boys" clubs are just better run, more financial and have better links to jobs etc.? There are a few district clubs that have gone ahead and up the div's. They all have a common thread, a good structure off field!

What are your thoughts on playing in D4 with only 1 team Cosmo?

The VAFA needs to admit its mistake and reshuffle the divisions before its too late. Promote a side from d3 to d2, and demote one to d4. 3x10 division teams is perfect. Beyond that, 3 clubs in 2 years have now abandoned Seniors for club XVIII football. That is an ominous trend for the league, and for local footy in general. Footy clubs are fragile entities, and by extrapolation, so is the league itself.

This is the obvious solution, not sure if common sense applies to the VAFA though.

The 2 clubs that voted 'Yes' should be ashamed of themselves (Chaddy and Westbourne?). Even if the vote finishes at 7-2 the VAFA will approve entry for SFX. D4 needed a 9-0 vote to be any chance of preventing the administrators from crapping on the division.
If we didn't have them 1st and last round, it may have been different.
We don't want byes

We want a function after last round and a home game

The VAFA were keen to get a result on this late last week or early this week, so I think we should expect a decision soon. They have the results of the club votes but something tells me they won't be placing all the weight of the outcome on this.

Correspondence has been doing the rounds between the exec committee members of the relevant clubs so we're all aware of who was for it and who was against it. Valeyard - you said D4 needed a 9-0 result, is this on good authority or is it just a guess/opinion? (if it is, I tend to agree). Also, I noticed you put Westbourne in the 'yes' category, that conflicts with what's been doing the rounds between the clubs.

I'm surprised the VAFA are even considering it, raises all sorts of integrity issues - besides, they should be pocketing the savings they'll make on one less match of umpires each week.

Waz - It'd be nice to even up the divisions but I don't think you can go and demote LaTrobe now, especially when they were told in July (in order to keep the fight between the bottom sides alive) that only 1 side would be getting relegated.

Gav - Round 1 byes suck, there's no advantage and it's an extra week the boys have to wait to get back in to it.

Whatever the outcome, let's hope it's soon so we can start focusing on the season ahead.

Surely if they came in they wouldn't actually be eligible for the flag. What if they went up and couldn't field a team in D3 reserve next year?

There is no optimal outcome now that it has been considered. Should never have been considered in the first place.

To eliminate the dreaded bye the VAFA must push stronger for 10 teams per division. This means teams will be relegated/promoted despite not being top 2/bottom 2. This might seem harsh on some clubs. In the last few years we have seen come Clubs leave VAFA/fold/go to one-team only clubs. This is not going to change. The fixture should only be considered tentative until all teams are locked in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are your thoughts on playing in D4 with only 1 team Cosmo?

I don't really have any, but probably not a good look.

My point was really that any well run side can move up (or poorly run ones down) the Divs and its got nothing to do with being "old boys" or not. Probably hard to get your head around given how long you guys have been bottom to mid range D4 side! at least SFX have been to D3 in recent memory....

I don't really have any, but probably not a good look.

My point was really that any well run side can move up (or poorly run ones down) the Divs and its got nothing to do with being "old boys" or not. Probably hard to get your head around given how long you guys have been bottom to mid range D4 side! at least SFX have been to D3 in recent memory....

You are off topic. The main issue was around whether to let SFX play in D4 with 1 team.

You have chosen to take a cheap snipe instead of addressing the main issue ... why am I not surprised.

You are off topic. The main issue was around whether to let SFX play in D4 with 1 team.

You have chosen to take a cheap snipe instead of addressing the main issue ... why am I not surprised.

Cheap shot - Yes

Off Topic - No You brought up the "old Boys"

"Because SM are a district club and the VAFA seem intent of pandering to 'Old Boys'"

You continually pot the VAFA for this and then link a club which has no affiliation to a school in SFX? Just correcting your post.

Cheap shot - Yes

Off Topic - No You brought up the "old Boys"

"Because SM are a district club and the VAFA seem intent of pandering to 'Old Boys'"

You continually pot the VAFA for this and then link a club which has no affiliation to a school in SFX? Just correcting your post.

I would hardly call one post referring to 'Old Boys' continual. However thanks for the correction as I was unaware of the relationship between SFX and the school had degenerated as far as it has.

None of this matters now as common sense has prevailed and SFX will not play in D4 in 2016.

I would hardly call one post referring to 'Old Boys' continual. However thanks for the correction as I was unaware of the relationship between SFX and the school had degenerated as far as it has.

I guess it stands to reason - a club with no school link, no junior structure and unable to pay players is generally going to struggle more than a club with any or all of these things. Especially in an area like theirs with the amount of competition.

Spot on mate.....
Oops, forgot about Beamauris, Fitzroy, Hampton Rovers, Parkdale, Oakleigh, AJAX, Kew.....
Mounzer I should have worded my reply better, I was talking about clubs thats are stuck in D4 NOW, the teams that you mention other than Kew have been in higher divisions for a long time and as already mentioned have good junior programs and if i'm honest are probably better run. The point I was trying to make was the suburban clubs in D4 aren't a top priority for the vafa and other than the fees they collect from these clubs they wouldn't know where they play let alone what jumpers they wear.

Gav - Round 1 byes suck, there's no advantage and it's an extra week the boys have to wait to get back in to it.

Whatever the outcome, let's hope it's soon so we can start focusing on the season ahead.

Round one not the issue we'd prefer not to go out there. For us it's more the last round/home game/presentation night

Is anyone on here from mount lilydale, I've been trying to contact them for months. Feel like a change and play ammos. Since they are the closest team to me I thought they would be the easiest but after emails and phone calls it hasn't turned out easy after all.

Is anyone on here from mount lilydale, I've been trying to contact them for months. Feel like a change and play ammos. Since they are the closest team to me I thought they would be the easiest but after emails and phone calls it hasn't turned out easy after all.

Here's an idea - why not take your boots/runners and turn up to a pre season training session ....unannounced?

Or do you need a red carpet arrival and cheerleaders?

Here's an idea - why not take your boots/runners and turn up to a pre season training session ....unannounced?

Or do you need a red carpet arrival and cheerleaders?
Thanks for your generous advice, but it's a bit hard to do so when there is no training info on the website!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back