News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

The other thing about Dan Houston was his durability as he missed very few games due to injury in fact he played over 20 games in six of the eight seasons he was with us. Dan was also consistent as he averaged over 20 disposals a game across 168 games for us, He was skilled, durable and consistent with it. Half back flanker or not you do not easily cover for a player of that stature.

As for being better coached I suspect we may see an even greater player under a new Coach and a new game plan. The thing that hurts as much as losing Dan is that he will make Collingwood even stronger.

I rate Houston's loss as the most significant departure from our club since Shaun Burgoyne left us for Hawthorn. I hope that Dan Houston's transfer does not translate into Premierships as was the case with Shaun at Hawthorn.
Can't argue with that, I agree entirely, making the wobbles stronger is really shit. We will miss him but it's done, we are run by morons, even Kane can see it's a shit sandwich.

Do the board know how angry we are? Do they care? It just feels like we get shit on at every step. We get predictably shit on in finals, we get shit on with the coach not immediately being fired as the season ends, we get shit on by the chairman calling us bastards, now we've been shit on at the trade table. Do they even care?

I can only speculate on that.

Do I think the Board cares about fan reaction about the Houston trade? Minimally.

Do I think the Board cares about the fan anger over recent decisions and results particularly surrounding finals and the coach etc? Yes. Do I think the Board is going to act or make any decision based solely on fan sentiment alone? The only time that has ever happened under this regime was when they went back to the 1 captain model in 2020 after the unmitigated 2019 disaster.

At the same time, the great Wayne Bennett once said if you consistently listen to the fans you'll end up being with them.

Collingwood are going all in for the now. So they might get a flag but they are just as likely to fall short then the cliff will come pretty quick they have a host of over 30's and apart from Nick their 23 and under players in their squad haven't been played or are just ordinary no names. They are the next Richmond if we get rid of Ken I would expect port to play in more finals than Dan in the next 6 to 8 years.

Collingwood are going all in for the now. So they might get a flag but they are just as likely to fall short then the cliff will come pretty quick they have a host of over 30's and apart from Nick their 23 and under players in their squad haven't been played or are just ordinary no names. They are the next Richmond if we get rid of Ken I would expect port to play in more finals than Dan in the next 6 to 8 years.
Awesome.

the future 1st is the part I hate the most, as soon as we added in ratboy that should've made it a future 2nd. pathetic trade, pathetic fight from a pathetic club
Do we have a first round pick on next year's draft? Or we gonna have to trade someone again to try get into that?

The answer is next year we will trade Zak Butters to recover that 2025 first round pick. Don't laugh folks anything is possible. If a player knocks on the door and says I want to go home that is it- he is gone.

At the same time, the great Wayne Bennett once said if you consistently listen to the fans you'll end up being with them.

There is quite a spectrum between consistently listening to the fans and consistently huffing your own farts. It'd be nice to be somewhere in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well that’s not true, if they were trying to save Ken’s career you’d keep the 2 x AA
Dan wanted out and that was clear as things progressed but imo some bad blood may have developed between Port and Houston's camp which made it detrimental to him staying at Port.

This is only my gut feel, I could be way off.

campaigner move to share the welcome to Collingwood post but yet to see the

Thanks port for giving me a chance when literally no one else did then not delisting me after one year of nothing as a rookie
Also sorry for getting suspended like a knob right before finals

Also sorry for abandoning an agreed trade with Melbourne, then flitting like a hummingbird from club to club with nothing to trade and telling you at the last minute that thing about coming back? Psych!

The other thing about Dan Houston was his durability as he missed very few games due to injury in fact he played over 20 games in six of the eight seasons he was with us.

... and one of those two seasons where he played fewer than 20 games was 2020, where he appeared in 17 of the 19 games we played (including finals).

I hate the club and the pissants involved more.
Dan was the catalyst of all of this. We accepted a poor deal, yes. But other than that what else did they do wrong? I'm pretty sure we didn't want him to leave.

It appears to me that Dan has been an entitled pain in the arse throughout the whole process and the club caved to his petulance yesterday.

The only thing Farrell has comparable to Houston is an elite leg nothing else.
Farrel is a great long shot on goal. So he's dangerous like Houston for the handball receive 60 out.

His forward 50 entries are always long and high bombs to the back of the pack.

But his passing isn't anywhere near Houston's level. Dyl Williams is a far better option to fill that whole, if he can get the rest of his game going again
What has Connors and Cripps being tight done for us?

For us? Nothing.

For Cripps, a better relationship with a management team and a star player to Collingwood in which he can use as leverage when he inevitably end up there.

It's all swings and roundabouts for the AFL
Connors and Cripps aren't tight. Cripps is tight with Dan's actually manager Giechen. But Giechen wasn't getting the trade done, so Dan went over his head to his managers boss.

Cripps being tight with Dan's manager is why we had the initial ok to stay, we'll try again next year stance.
Sack CD after that interview - mindless ramblings.

Who cares if pick 13 was going elsewhere. That's Collingwood's problem. They were the ones who needed to find the picks to give us.
He said Dan is the reason they had to accept unders

that + what Chewy said --> sounds like Dan said/did something in the past 24 hours that made it untenable
You know what it actually means. We were going to bend over to Dan's wishes to get to Collingwood even without pick 13. We would've accepted whatever shit deal they offered because it was the best they had left.

Trade radio going on how Houston going to Melbourne was a done deal and how Perryman’s decision to go to Collingwood had a flow-on effect with what Port could do.

Perryman and perhaps Cumming + 2 x 1st rounders from Melbourne. Add Richards and Luko and all of a sudden you got yourself a good trade haul.😫

That was certainly the plan. Obviously hasn't even come close to that in reality.

Farrel is a great long shot on goal. So he's dangerous like Houston for the handball receive 60 out.

His forward 50 entries are always long and high bombs to the back of the pack.

But his passing isn't anywhere near Houston's level. Dyl Williams is a far better option to fill that whole, if he can get the rest of his game going again

Connors and Cripps aren't tight. Cripps is tight with Dan's actually manager Giechen. But Giechen wasn't getting the trade done, so Dan went over his head to his managers boss.

Cripps being tight with Dan's manager is why we had the initial ok to stay, we'll try again next year stance.

You know what it actually means. We were going to bend over to Dan's wishes to get to Collingwood even without pick 13. We would've accepted whatever shit deal they offered because it was the best they had left.

You got everything right accept they wouldn't have accepted the deal without pick 13. Gold Coast threatening to send that pick to North on Monday morning accelerated proceedings given North were happy to take 13 to the draft and were not offering anywhere near what Port ended up with for Houston.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Dan Houston traded to Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back