Dangerfield - rotator cuff? - UPDATE: Cleared of serious injury, see page 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Dangerfield - rotator cuff?

I agree - no need for panic yet - but usually we have something more definitive by now - and IMO that is not a good sign - either way - shoulder or neck - (or heaven help him - both).

The issue of cupability is not whether or not there was intent. (I don't believe there was BTW). But this does not make those three players any less cupable - particularly as they are paid professional footballers who are paid to play safely - full stop. They need to take responsiubility for a serious injury which if serious enough (and we don't know yet) may be career-ending - let alone life changing. Gee I hope not.

Of course they are, they would regardless even if he broke an arm or leg. Its the SOP of any incident like that. The fact he has been taken to hospital for a scan is no great cause for concern. Sando would have already diagnosed in shoulder concern he might have but would need film to look at his neck.

I had one of those little wing thingo's snapped off one of the vert's in my neck in a similar incident. hurt like buggery without it being particularly serious but it was still the shoulder that was the problem long term.

No need for anyone to panic yet.

I was at the match and it didn't look good at all. Drilled headfirst into the turf by 3 blokes.

Hope there is no permanent damage, he has incredible potential - couldn't believe how good he was last week against the Swans.

"couldn't believe how good he was against the Swans" - funny that - great last week, drilled into the turf this week... hmn...

I was at the match and it didn't look good at all. Drilled headfirst into the turf by 3 blokes.

Hope there is no permanent damage, he has incredible potential - couldn't believe how good he was last week against the Swans.

I was at the ground so haven't seen a close replay.

But I will say the AFL had a good opportunity last week to rule this stuff out with Guerra - which was a lot more deliberate incident - where as this one looked to be a culmination of 3 blokes into 1. I will have to see it again but my initial thoughts were the MRP have dug their own grave here. I didn't think the Melbourne guys meant it, but the threat of suspension can be an effective deterrant.

Most important thing is that he is ok. All the best Paddy.

Yes thanks MB - i agree enitrely. Having spent years working with people with life-changing spinal cord injuries its time the AFL outlawed this completely with highly effective long suspensions. As I said in a previous post, i don't believe the Melbourne players intended this injury - but that doesn't make professional paid players any less culpable for what amounts to negligence IMO, similar to responsibility for any other injury.

I was at the ground so haven't seen a close replay.

But I will say the AFL had a good opportunity last week to rule this stuff out with Guerra - which was a lot more deliberate incident - where as this one looked to be a culmination of 3 blokes into 1. I will have to see it again but my initial thoughts were the MRP have dug their own grave here. I didn't think the Melbourne guys meant it, but the threat of suspension can be an effective deterrant.

Most important thing is that he is ok. All the best Paddy.

there was no intent for anything but a hard tackle - to the people saying intent was to hurt, get over it

you are taught to be aggressive and thats what they were - no malice at all, just a bad accident

hope the kid is ok

There was intent PP. If you expect players to have no intent to hit hard in tackles you're a goose.

But it's still not rerportable or a free. The issue here is the ability to do that within the rules. To imobalise a player and drive his head into the turf isn't good.

there was no intent for anything but a hard tackle - to the people saying intent was to hurt, get over it

you are taught to be aggressive and thats what they were - no malice at all, just a bad accident

hope the kid is ok

True to a point, for two of the Dees.

Just saw it on the news, and the player with the hand on the back of Danger's head/neck (that forced Dangers chin down towards his chest, making the contact with the ground worse) should have a case to answer.

I agree about the lack of intent - but in a professional game that makes them all the more culpable - agression yes, negligence absolutely not - there is a difference in professional sport.

hope the kid is ok

There was intent PP. If you expect players to have no intent to hit hard in tackles you're a goose.

But it's still not rerportable or a free. The issue here is the ability to do that within the rules. To imobalise a player and drive his head into the turf isn't good.

i meant intent to injure or be anything other than "rough as legally possible"

wasnt dirty - these things happen

hope the kid is ok

Yeah, agree. As much as I want someone to blame for the incident, unfortunately its just an unfortunate part of the game. We play a contact sport, unfortunately things like this will happen from time to time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Intent to hurt, hell yes, intent to injure, unlikely.

But having three players ride your head into the turf while imobalising your arms for protection has to be looked at by the AFL in terms of safety for players.

i just worry that were going to get to the point where this becomes touch football, or netball where players are too scared to do anything for fear of suspension

the game has become way too sanitized, todays incident to me is a byproduct of the game being played the way I like to watch it. i already hate the way this game is going, and i just dont want to see an overreaction to an incident like this cause more sanitization to the game

i know im a port fan, but i would be the same if it happened to a player on my team too - let em play the old way I say :)

i just worry that were going to get to the point where this becomes touch football, or netball where players are too scared to do anything for fear of suspension

the game has become way too sanitized, todays incident to me is a byproduct of the game being played the way I like to watch it. i already hate the way this game is going, and i just dont want to see an overreaction to an incident like this cause more sanitization to the game

i know im a port fan, but i would be the same if it happened to a player on my team too - let em play the old way I say :)
You support a rabble so should keep quiet.

This isn't really about the 'softening' of the game though...it was just a brutal tackle.

The Melbourne player forcing his head down should definitely have a case to answer.

Actually PP it was dirty by most standards - anything which grinds a head and neck into the turf is completely unacceptable and unprofessionally negligent IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I think the games gone a little soft; i.e hands in the back is a free, even if you don't push. GTFO.

But, that sort of tackling is bad.

So sad to see this and I really hope he's alright.

I understand that you guys are not happy with the situation at hand (pray it isn't a bad one :thumbsu:) and I won't respond to individual posts but I'll say this. Neither McDonald or Moloney are thugs. Neither would want to hurt Danger. Please keep your heads because the tackle wasn't an uncommon one (see Watts' first touch in AFL football) and it happens in this sport. There are always risks when you're AFL footballers or any sportsman for that matter because non-malicent tackles can end seasons (see Aaron Ramsey).

Really hope he's okay as well as the other injured blokes :thumbsu:

Nobody wants Australian Rules to become a non-contact sport, but what happened to Dangermouse isn't even legal in Rugby League - and that's a much tougher full contact sport than AFL. The player who had his hand on Dangermouse's neck is in a LOT of trouble. Chicken wing and spear tackles are BOTH illegal and this tackle combined both. It's not deliberate, but it's almost certainly reckless, if not negligent.

Of course it was dangerous, 3 of them each had him all tied up, arms pinned and you can see it was not from them falling over..

Its not hard to see body movement, they drove him into the ground on his head..

You know where and how the guys going to land when you do that, it was intent to drive him head first into the turf..

I love tough footy, but things like that are not tough.. So dont say its taking any toughness out of the game

Yay Vader - well said - someone is finally getting it!

Nobody wants Australian Rules to become a non-contact sport, but what happened to Dangermouse isn't even legal in Rugby League - and that's a much tougher full contact sport than AFL. The player who had his hand on Dangermouse's neck is in a LOT of trouble. Chicken wing and spear tackles are BOTH illegal and this tackle combined both. It's not deliberate, but it's almost certainly reckless, if not negligent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dangerfield - rotator cuff? - UPDATE: Cleared of serious injury, see page 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Back