Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, calling Will Graham a first rounder is a technicality because the AFL shifts the round to include bids as non-live selections, he was pick 26, he was not rated as a first round talent.

So if we consider it a true first round pick (top 18 player) then we will have had 5 after this year and potentially Zeke next year.

So again, over 15 years the dogs, who don’t have a true ‘academy’ have had a more relentless stream of high quality players given to them than the Suns have through theirs so far.
Im calling it a first rounder because the wooden spoon teams 2nd pick was pushed back to 30, largely because of your academy bs.
It was a first rounder

Youll have 2 top 5 picks, 1 top 10, 2 top 15, and 1 late 1st round pick from your academy by the 2026 draft. Thats an incredible haul, that surpasses what the Dogs have had. Walter and Uwland cancel out JUH and Darcy, Lombard and Rogers cancel out Croft and Cordy.
Youve still got Read and Graham after that which cancels out the rest.

I dont know why youre arguing this, the Dogs have had the best run with f/s and academies of any non qld/nsw club, and you are trying to defend the academy by saying you havent clearly had more than them?
You guys are far and away beating 13 other clubs, forget the Dogs

Youve had a great run, and its gotta stop or the AFL is going to have to start advertising themself as an entertainment company not a professional sport

The Suns don't need to walk. They just need to look at their list and their assets and figure out the best way to maximise both. Rioli is obviously the target but the only reason pick 6 is on the table is because Victorian clubs have come to expect Gold Coast to bend over. You've got four academy prospects coming through next year so trade 6 into 2025, give 35 to Collingwood to Noble, give everything else to Richmond for Rioli and points. Richmond will be able to do some damage with 12, 20, 21, 26 and 29 in their arsenal plus whatever they get from Bolton / Baker.
Preaching to the converted mate, I think P6 for Rioli is ridiculous unless they are paying the majority of his wage and even then it’s still way over the top. Unfortunately Craig Cameron couldn’t win a poker hand to save his life. I’m sure he’d fold four Aces but only after going all in

At the futures game being played right now at the MCG it could be argued. We have three of the best five players on the ground at half time.
Ive got it on but im not familiar with your academy kids other than Uwland.

I think we will hear a lot in the media about your academies again VERY soon lol

You guys have the whip hand no doubt, unless we wise up and walk away. Then you’re left with a depreciating asset and a supporter base pissed that The rebuild will take that much longer.

For the record I don’t think we will walk but I have everything crossed that we do!
A good and honest post.

I don’t think you guys need more flight risk kids though. You need established talent.

At the futures game being played right now at the MCG it could be argued. We have three of the best five players on the ground at half time.
secret smell GIF

Whoever said it probably backtracked after realising how stupid they sounded. Rioli is in his prime and has 6-8 years left in the game.

You will change your tune as soon as you see how he rips the ball from the oppo and supercharges your ball movement.

Any perceived overs you pay will be more than compensated by the massive unders you pay for Lombard. Added to the rort of Walter et al last year, and Uwlund & co. next year.

Footy is booming in SE Qld. They'll have a conga line of freebies for years to come.
It was Cal Twomey that said it
Ive got it on but im not familiar with your academy kids other than Uwland.

I think we will hear a lot in the media about your academies again VERY soon lol

Never ceases to amaze me how the entitled big Vic clubs love to sook it up yet they have every advantage, Father Son, 15 games and finals at there home ground, minimal travel, raid poorer vic clubs and other states using the BS I miss my mum but only want to play for x rule, we have one advantage, one our academy. An academy that is yet to produce an AA, a BnF or a premiership player.

Victorians have bleated on about how bad the suns are and how they should be Shut down or moved for years. now that we have finally got our shit together and are generating a football culture on the Gold Coast you want to shut that down. We haven’t even won anything, the entitlement is just outrageous

It was Cal Twomey that said it

Never ceases to amaze me how the entitled big Vic clubs love to sook it up yet they have every advantage, Father Son, 15 games and finals at there home ground, minimal travel, raid poorer vic clubs and other states using the BS I miss my mum but only want to play for x rule, we have one advantage, one our academy. An academy that is yet to produce an AA, a BnF or a premiership player.

Victorians have bleated on about how bad the suns are and how they should be Shut down or moved for years. now that we have finally got our shit together and are generating a football culture on the Gold Coast you want to shut that down. We haven’t even won anything, the entitlement is just outrageous

What is the football culture there?

Im not Victorian lol. Im from the state that gets nothing

Its clear the AFL allowing every club to bid on their NGAs is their way of trying to appease the 14 clubs that will no cdoubt be complaining, but its really not adequate.
I wouldnt suggest removing the GC academies, but limiting access to even 1 kid per year or something would go a long way to make it fairer.

The QLD and NSW teams I presume were never meant to be state teams, but thats the direction its going to go.

I know but that's the point. At Richmond it worked because hardback focused on the game plan and culture and player development and left recruitment to Hartley and other people and didn't dominate everything. If he tries to run everything at GC and if they let him it will fail for both parties regardless of the talent on the list. Good clubs have clearly defined roles.
He is not running everything

He is working to form the team he believes will play his game plan and the players he needs to implement that game plan
he had his 1st year to look over the list and see what he needs and has made the call on a few players he doesnt think gets him to where he wants and the players he needs and that is his job. surely you cant expect list managers to find players without the coaches influence to what he needs.

Its clear the AFL allowing every club to bid on their NGAs is their way of trying to appease the 14 clubs that will no cdoubt be complaining, but its really not adequate.
I wouldnt suggest removing the GC academies, but limiting access to even 1 kid per year or something would go a long way to make it fairer.

The QLD and NSW teams I presume were never meant to be state teams, but thats the direction its going to go.
The academies exist to serve a purpose - to grow the game in non-traditional areas. They aren't going away. But they can and are being exploited so the best thing the AFL can do (and hasn't done) is to remove the discount. The reward for clubs developing their own players is priority access to them. They don't need a discount relative to all other clubs on top of that.

At some point the talent from these academies will spill over to other clubs. It will take some time but you can only field 23 players each game. NSW/QLD academy players will seek opportunities elsewhere if those opportunities aren't present at the clubs that drafted them like fringe players at other clubs. It will take some time for this to happen though.

Yes, it means manufactured success in NSW and Queensland for a while but this is a goal for the AFL, not an unintended consequence.

I think because 6 has been agreed so far out and talked about as the deal, that a lot of you guys have just become numb to how ridiculous it is.

Like, the Schultz trade seems bad only because Pies dropped, I would have this as the biggest heist (at the time of trade) since Weller.
Any 1st rounder was a bad call no matter where Collingwood finished and to add to that a 2nd rounder thrown in for good measure

Whilst nobody thought it would be #10 only the delusional Pies fans would have thought it to be #18 and most neutrals
would have said 13-15 range. So even #15 + #34 for Schultz was squeezing that lemon well and truly dry
Freo totally went in dry as they did with Weller & Hill

Well Done :thumbsu:

The academies exist to serve a purpose - to grow the game in non-traditional areas. They aren't going away. But they can and are being exploited so the best thing the AFL can do (and hasn't done) is to remove the discount. The reward for clubs developing their own players is priority access to them. They don't need a discount relative to all other clubs on top of that.

At some point the talent from these academies will spill over to other clubs. It will take some time but you can only field 23 players each game. NSW/QLD academy players will seek opportunities elsewhere if those opportunities aren't present at the clubs that drafted them like fringe players at other clubs. It will take some time for this to happen though.

Yes, it means manufactured success in NSW and Queensland for a while but this is a goal for the AFL, not an unintended consequence.
I know it can sound like complaining about vic bias or whatever, but how many of those kids that get traded for cents on the dollar because theyre a first round pick who cant get a game are going to go to WA or SA as their first choice?
99% of the QLD and NSW kids will go to Vic teams for cheap, as we have seen already with GWS and GC getting called feeder clubs for some time now.

I would 100% restrict access to 1 kid a year or something, the QLD and NSW kids need to operate in the same conditions as every other kid, they cant just all go to their local teams. Theyve gotta spread out around the country at some point.

Manufactured success is never a good thing, ill never concede on that

he said it with a straight face as well, which was most impressive. Especially after it also said Rioli was coming to the end of his career, then backtracked.

The Suns trades team are dumb enough to pay overs, we all know it but geez I hope they pull the pin
Wined and Dined him since April / May
Blew sweet whispers in his ear and made him all the promises and finally a player like Rioli comes and and says make me a Sun. And they pull out

Then your supporter base complain high profile players dont choose the SUN's ?
Your supporter base are over the moon about Rioli and even Dusty coming so why do you hope they pull out ?

Because of a draft pick ?
Do the suns need any more kids ?

All that will happen with another kid will be he stays on the list and asks for a trade in 3 years time for 20 cents in the dollar whils wasting the best years of Touk , Rowell , Anderson , king etc

GC have another 4 kids coming through the academy next year and will easily get the points to cover them
GC need hard bodies to take the next step and play finals after so many years and get that club going

In Dimma you should trust

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it can sound like complaining about vic bias or whatever, but how many of those kids that get traded for cents on the dollar because theyre a first round pick who cant get a game are going to go to WA or SA as their first choice?
99% of the QLD and NSW kids will go to Vic teams for cheap, as we have seen already with GWS and GC getting called feeder clubs for some time now.

I would 100% restrict access to 1 kid a year or something, the QLD and NSW kids need to operate in the same conditions as every other kid, they cant just all go to their local teams. Theyve gotta spread out around the country at some point.

Manufactured success is never a good thing, ill never concede on that
This will start to happen next year with matching bids getting more expensive. The Suns have 5 playing in the current game, no way they can take them all.

This will start to happen next year with matching bids getting more expensive. The Suns have 5 playing in the current game, no way they can take them all.
Still taking an average of say 2-3 academy kids in the first 2 rounds of the draft each year for a big discount, meaning you can trade those extra points away for better picks to get ahead of bids or trade away to pay overs for players isnt really it fixing itself.
Cant fit all the kids you take in your team, theyll get fed up of playing VFL and ask for a trade, most likely to Vic.

Itll be a blight on the competition until it gets changed

My bad, sorry, I added your post just for the “VERY soon” comment the rest was directed at the first posted quote. The Eagles know the pain better than anyone with the vic bias, especially travel I would of thought

All the more reason to trade it into the future in the first 5 mins of the trade period, take it off the table.
Is that you Adrian? I thought you'd retired. Didn't realise you just moved clubs instead.

The AFL has already limited access dependant on where a club finishes on the ladder, they have also dropped the discount from 20 to 10%

Thanks, and why would I give a shit? Going to be more misses than hits in that group as in every draft
I don’t think anyone cares if you give a shit or not. You said the supporter base would be pissed because the rebuild would take longer. The picks I’ve listed would give us 6 picks in 30 without giving up Rioli, Baker or Graham.

I think teams in a rebuilding phase would take 6 picks in 30 in a deep draft.

Jees suns fans get very touchy on a day they have never experienced.

Wined and Dined him since April / May
Blew sweet whispers in his ear
and made him all the promises and finally a player like Rioli comes and and says make me a Sun. And they pull out

Then your supporter base complain high profile players dont choose the SUN's ?
Your supporter base are over the moon about Rioli and even Dusty coming so why do you hope they pull out ?

Because of a draft pick ?
Do the suns need any more kids ?

All that will happen with another kid will be he stays on the list and asks for a trade in 3 years time for 20 cents in the dollar whils wasting the best years of Touk , Rowell , Anderson , king etc

GC have another 4 kids coming through the academy next year and will easily get the points to cover them
GC need hard bodies to take the next step and play finals after so many years and get that club going

In Dimma you should trust
There is so much bullshit in this post a truck would be needs to cart it away, perhaps it could be dumped at Punt Road, it wouldn’t be the first time from memory

You don’t know he was wined and dined, could just as easily visited Dimma and said I want out of Yzes zoo just like Coasty Martin

I think the Suns fans are 50/50 at best on Rioli and he’s only a high profile player to Tigers fans, as neutral supporters on this tread have stated time and time again

We have lost 1 kid we wanted to retain in the past 5 years, Rankine

Highly unlikely all 4 kids will get picked up, at best Addinsall and Uwland get to the club ( just smashed it in the futures game)

Last edited:
Jamarra - pick 1
Darcy - pick 2
Croft - pick 15
Ayce - pick 15

Wallis - Port Adelaide bid their first round selection under the old rules
Liberatore - Sydney bid their second round selection in under the old rules

Hunter - north bid their second round selection

Rhylee West - pick 26 (same as Will Graham)

You’ve had absurd father son and academy handouts for the last 15 years but by all means, how dare the Suns have 4 top 18 academy picks in the same time..

deranged to be comparing a list from a team across 15 years with what you club has got in the last 1 year. Uwland was good today in the futures game, good chance o pick 1 next year it looks like, yoiur other guys going what, top 10 this year?

I don’t think anyone cares if you give a shit or not. You said the supporter base would be pissed because the rebuild would take longer. The picks I’ve listed would give us 6 picks in 30 without giving up Rioli, Baker or Graham.

I think teams in a rebuilding phase would take 6 picks in 30 in a deep draft.

Jees suns fans get very touchy on a day they have never experienced.
4 after 10 = crap shoot

There is so much bullshit in this post a truck would be needs to cart it away, perhaps it could be dumped at Punt Road, it wouldn’t be the first time from memory

You don’t know he was wined and dined, could just as easily visited Dimma and said I want out of Yzes zoo just like Coasty Martin

I think the Suns fans are 50/50 at best on Rioli and he’s only a high profile player to Tigers fans, as neutral supporters on this tread have stated time and time again

We have lost 1 kid we wanted to retain in the past 5 years, Rankine

Highly unlikely all 4 kids will get picked up, at best Addison and Uwland get to the club ( just smashed it in the futures game)
You just typed alot of words with out saying anything apart from you miss Rankine

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past 6 months and have not watched any news or footy shows then you would have to be blind not to have followed the Dimma/Rioli news.
but lets just presume you have

Do you honestly believe a player comes out end of season after a B & F year and decides ill just move to another club without knowing exactly what the deal will be and without talking to the coach
Dimma & Rioli have had eachother on speed dial for nearly 10 years

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back