Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

How does Baily Smith trade capital from Geelong sound for Houston. Probably equal talent. 1 in contract and 28, the other young, out of contract and coming off knee injury. Surely roughly similar value?

1. Carlton want to use an F1 pick on Houston because they want to keep a decent first round pick in this years draft.

2. Gold Coast want an F1 pick for Lukosius because they want draft capital for next year.

3. Port want 2 first round picks for Houston and could sell getting Lukosius as being 'worth a first round pick'.

Am I going crazy, or is this like the easiest trade of all time now that Lukosius has chosen Port as his destination?

Carlton gives up F1 and 31 to Gold Coast and 11 to Port. gets Houston and 12 (rates Houston worth 5-7 assuming Carlton make finals next year).

Gold Coast gives up Lukosius and 12, gets Carlton's F1, 31 and 36 (rates Lukosius worth 16-23 assuming Carlton make finals next year).

Port gives up Houston and 36, gets Lukosius and 11 (rates Houston and being worth 23+Lukosius, which even under the "worst" case scenario of Carlton winning the premiership, makes him worth 8).

Throw some picks around to even it up, but this will be the basis of the trade IMO.
Seems needlessly complicated and GC are getting screwed over.

Just keep it simple.

Carlton trade 11+F2 (or 31) for Houston

Port trade their F1 for Lukosius.

I know Carlton want to keep 11, but they'll have to trade it. Their F1 is probably only worth pick 20 in this draft.

Seems needlessly complicated and GC are getting screwed over.

Just keep it simple.

Carlton trade 11+F2 (or 31) for Houston

Port trade their F1 for Lukosius.

I know Carlton want to keep 11, but they'll have to trade it. Their F1 is probably only worth pick 20 in this draft.

Don't think it's that complicated, particularly if it gets a fair outcome. 3 club trades are quite common.

Port F1 alone is slight overs for Luko. 11 + 31 alone is slight overs for Houston. Goldcoast pick 12 is due to be swallowed up and they need future 1sts to match a bid on a likely pick 1 next year. Carlton wants a pick in the 1st round this year but happy to trade out of 2025.

Working out a 3 way trade makes sense and helps to even it all out.

or
North offer Pick#2 to Freo for their 1st two round picks maybe 9,10
Then North offer Pick#10 + their F2nd to Port for Houston and their F2nd
Port offer Pick#10 + Norths F2nd to GC for Lukosius and their F2nd

North end up with #9 + Houston + Ports F2nd
Port end up with Lukosius + GC F2nd
Gc end up with #10 and Norths F2
Freo get pick #2

And then how do Fremantle get their deals done with pick 2? I don't think this scenario works for them.

Don't think it's that complicated, particularly if it gets a fair outcome. 3 club trades are quite common.

Port F1 alone is slight overs for Luko. 11 + 31 alone is slight overs for Houston. Goldcoast pick 12 is due to be swallowed up and they need future 1sts to match a bid on a likely pick 1 next year. Carlton wants a pick in the 1st round this year but happy to trade out of 2025.

Working out a 3 way trade makes sense and helps to even it all out.
It helps Carlton and Port out by screwing over GC. If GC want to trade out of this draft and into the next they should get a great deal. Everyone else wants to trade the other way and get their pick 12, they don't need to trade it out cheap.

Carlton's F1 + 31 isn't enough for Houston. They may have enough if they get something decent back for Kennedy, Owies, etc. but I doubt they will. They'll need to use Pick 11.

It helps Carlton and Port out by screwing over GC. If GC want to trade out of this draft and into the next they should get a great deal. Everyone else wants to trade the other way and get their pick 12, they don't need to trade it out cheap.

Carlton's F1 + 31 isn't enough for Houston. They may have enough if they get something decent back for Kennedy, Owies, etc. but I doubt they will. They'll need to use Pick 11.
You keep saying it screws over Gold Coast because you're looking at it from the perspective of a club that doesn't have academy prospects coming through this year and next year. Gold Coast don't give a **** about picks, they want points for this year and next year to match bids.

Pick 12 is 1268 points.

Pick 31 + Pick 36 is 1108 points - the deficit is the equivalent of Pick 59. So if you want to make it more fair, add Carlton's 62 to the trade (which they won't give a **** about if they are bringing in Houston). That values Lukosius at Pick 19 and Houston at Pick 7 if Carlton win the flag.

Pick 31+36+59 = 1266 points. And they get an F1 for Luko.

You can't get any more fairer than that.

They seem to have made a point to use the media to emphasise this is not a "get rid of him" situation. Maybe it is and they are hiding it well but I think a top 20 pick next year is pretty fair. I actually think he'll be a good pick-up for you guys though the forwardline would really hum with a Dixon that was 5 years younger.

Regardless, I dont really think any shenanigans are needed between Houston and Luko to pay for one another though Port have had a lot of success in the past conning other teams to pay for their players in a multi team trade so they'll probably keep at it.
If we get pick 24 from the Saints for Solda it should be enough for Luko

If we get pick 24 from the Saints for Solda it should be enough for Luko
I think if you look at Soldo for Luko and how that seems ridiculous, you'll see that's probably optimistic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think if you look at Soldo for Luko and how that seems ridiculous, you'll see that's probably optimistic.
Depends how much Port will be paying for Luko existing contract, GC would need to be $folking out if they seek a first rounder, where their coach is on record saying, they do not need more picks.

Salary dump, come on down.

1. Carlton want to use an F1 pick on Houston because they want to keep a decent first round pick in this years draft.

2. Gold Coast want an F1 pick for Lukosius because they want draft capital for next year.

3. Port want 2 first round picks for Houston and could sell getting Lukosius as being 'worth a first round pick'.

Am I going crazy, or is this like the easiest trade of all time now that Lukosius has chosen Port as his destination?

Carlton gives up F1 and 31 to Gold Coast and 11 to Port. gets Houston and 12 (rates Houston worth 5-7 assuming Carlton make finals next year).

Gold Coast gives up Lukosius and 12, gets Carlton's F1, 31 and 36 (rates Lukosius worth 16-23 assuming Carlton make finals next year).

Port gives up Houston and 36, gets Lukosius and 11 (rates Houston and being worth 23+Lukosius, which even under the "worst" case scenario of Carlton winning the premiership, makes him worth 8).

Throw some picks around to even it up, but this will be the basis of the trade IMO.

That is a shocking deal for Gold Coast

You keep saying it screws over Gold Coast because you're looking at it from the perspective of a club that doesn't have academy prospects coming through this year and next year. Gold Coast don't give a **** about picks, they want points for this year and next year to match bids.

Pick 12 is 1268 points.

Pick 31 + Pick 36 is 1108 points - the deficit is the equivalent of Pick 59. So if you want to make it more fair, add Carlton's 62 to the trade (which they won't give a **** about if they are bringing in Houston). That values Lukosius at Pick 19 and Houston at Pick 7 if Carlton win the flag.

Pick 31+36+59 = 1266 points. And they get an F1 for Luko.

You can't get any more fairer than that.
Pick 12 could net GC a quality player or twice its value in future picks. But you are suggesting they offload it for 31 and 36, which they don't need as they have heaps of picks they can use to match a bid on Lombard already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Dan Houston [UFA 2027] - wants to head to Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Back