Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course not. It was hardly a success was it?
Seven years later and still no finals.

All the more reason not to do it again with another dumb decision

Interesting, but at the time you would have had no problem with it at all? If I'm not mistaken you picked him up with pick 13 in the draft the same number, you think Gold coast should be parting with for Rioli yet you got pick 2 for him because if I'm not mistaken he was still contracted with you at the time.

Think this is our point, if Gold Coast want Rioli they will pay to obtain him irrespective of what he might be worth to those outside.

Interesting, but at the time you would have had no problem with it at all? If I'm not mistaken you picked him up with pick 13 in the draft the same number, you think Gold coast should be parting with for Rioli yet you got pick 2 for him because if I'm not mistaken he was still contracted with you at the time.

Think this is our point, if Gold Coast want Rioli they will pay to obtain him irrespective of what he might be worth to those outside.
Uh I’m a freo fan? Of course I had no problem with it!!

I was laughing at how ridiculous it was that they gave up Weller for pick 2!

It’s the same for you - the tigers nuffie in you wants pick 6 and pick 7 and 8 too for Rioli if someone is dumb enough to pay that for it.

Pick #7 is exactly the value for a 3 more year contracted Daniel Rioli and anybody saying its overs is just delusional

Uncontracted i repeat UNCONTRACTED Adam Saad traded for pick #8 YES pick #8
so thats the best example of a player thats most comparable just a few years ago.
NOW add in the 3 year contract
THEN add in if the suns want any of that contract paid

Richmond will ask #7 + #13 and the suns know exactly what its going to cost but Richmond will pay 50% of his salary for the remaining 3 years of his contract and give some junk picks back

If no salary contribution #7 + #21

Uh I’m a freo fan? Of course I had no problem with it!!

I was laughing at how ridiculous it was that they gave up Weller for pick 2!

It’s the same for you - the tigers nuffie in you wants pick 6 and pick 7 and 8 too for Rioli if someone is dumb enough to pay that for it.

We will get pick 6, it happens all the time when a contracted player wants to play for another team who is a good player. Gold Coast will be no different.

Last edited:
Pick #7 is exactly the value for a 3 more year contracted Daniel Rioli and anybody saying its overs is just delusional

so thats the best example of a player thats most comparable just a few years ago.

Richmond will ask #7 + #13 and the suns know exactly what its going to cost but Richmond will pay 50% of his salary for the remaining 3 years of his contract and give some junk picks back

We will get pick 6, it happens all the time when a contracted player wants to play for another team who is a good player. Gold Coast will be no different.
I have found in life that if you convince yourself of an outcome as yet to be reality you often walk away disappointed

Should you hold and get your value for him because he's in contract for 2 more years?

Absolutely.

Rioli has 3 years to go on a contract. If the GC want him, I can't see it being cheap. Ditto Bolton.

On the other hand, Richmond probably won't get much for Baker because........he's OOC.
OOC yes, but even if he wanted to walk to pre-season guess who has the number 1 in the pre-season.
That's why I don't think there will be any mucking around with any deal. both clubs will want the deal to get done.

Last edited:

To be fair Saad was 1 year younger😀. Also Bombers shipped Saad with picks 48 and 78. Blues sent back 8 + 87. Previous trades mean nothing. You should check what Suns got for Saad. I would say forget salary pay as part of deal. Luko is leaving probably. My guess it will be pick 7 alone or picks 13 + 20. Some later picks swap possible. Don’t forget you’re not Tigers list manager😂

To be fair Saad was 1 year younger😀. Also Bombers shipped Saad with picks 48 and 78. Blues sent back 8 + 87. Previous trades mean nothing. You should check what Suns got for Saad. I would say forget salary pay as part of deal. Luko is leaving probably. My guess it will be pick 7 alone or picks 13 + 20. Some later picks swap possible. Don’t forget you’re not Tigers list manager😂
Thats just the point he was a player the suns and bombers both couldnt settle the player and he was not even anywhere near as good as he is now and still got a pick 8. He was a year younger but Rioli has a 3 year contract and is a required player that the suns have convinced to come and would have pledged to 100% get the deal done so they are obliged to make sure it gets done and pick #7 is the correct price. The "extra's" i mentioned will be a separate issue and totally dependent on what the GC cap is like maybe not for now but they could be planning for 3 year ahead and having 50% of Rioli salary paid could mean more to them than a pick #12/#13 or #20

But the trade for Rioli will be #7 if no salary attachments imo

However Tigers supporter posting on here think that means his value pretty much doubles. Pick 6 being worth basically two Pick 13’s.

I'm not making any ambit claims here. I'm actually unsure where the two clubs are at.

But am I holding out for more than pick 13 and some chump change 2nd/3rd rounder for a bloke with 3, yes 3 years left on his contract. If I'm in charge?

Yes, yes I am.

Both Rioli and Bolton know it may not work and would return. There's no angst between players and club. It's not a Stringer/Bulldogs or Carey/North situation.

GC have made the play here. They are the ones who need to make it work, As footy boss Wayne Campbell said last week, we've told Daniel we want him, it's up to us to get it done.

I would be surprised if pick 13 is the best part of the deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Use aren't getting more than pick 6. Required player for suns yes and is contracted but I can only see it as either

Rich Rioli
Suns pick 6

Rich Rioli
Suns pick 12 & 20

Win win for both clubs for both clubs
That is not a win for Richmond for a contracted Rioli ........ WHY ?
Because we know #7 is sitting there to be had and GC cannot say NO after making him comeout and declare he wants to move.

There is absolutely no reason Richmond agree on a deal they know they can get better and Wayne came out and pretty much said - Richmond you can have your way with us

Wayne came out and pretty much said - Richmond you can have your way with us
He did not say that really but I understand that you as a Tigers supporter interpreted it your way.
"There's always a fair range in price," Campbell said.
"We'll deal with Richmond in good faith, and we hope to get the deal done.

"We said to Daniel we want him here, so it's up to us to uphold our end of the bargain."

He did not say that really but I understand that you as a Tigers supporter interpreted it your way.
The last line is the kicker

"We said to Daniel we want him here, so it's up to us to uphold our end of the bargain."

Daniel : I'd like to come Dimma but can this get done ? Will Richmond trade me
Dimma : I'll make sure it gets done and we dont care what picks are the cost

GC will know Richmond would not trade Rioli for pick #12 that will end up 14-15 and Richmond has so many later picks they are already looking to move up with and would be no use to get another that will get diluted dowm
Pick #7 is the non negotiable imo

Future second then. Pick 13 and a future second is ample for Rioli.

Or bundle up later picks to move up yourself.

I literally just cant fathom GCS wasting an opportunity to get a highly talented kid in the draft ahead of the bid for Lombard.
Someone will bid on Lombard before 6 if the Suns hold it draft night. The 5 clubs before that would be mad not too. Just gives the Suns an extra potential gun player if they don't.

IMO the Suns trade it into next year to help get Zeke Uwland.
Never said you’d don’t get a slight premium for being in contract.

Neutrals generally seem to value Rioli around the GCS Pick 13. I think it’s reasonable that the extra value comes in the form of the addition of something like a second/future second.

However Tigers supporter posting on here think that means his value pretty much doubles. Pick 6 being worth basically two Pick 13’s.
Pick 12 is perfectly reasonable to everyone other than Richmond fans, who have been telling themselves it's pick 6 and more for so long they can see no other outcome.

Someone will bid on Lombard before 6 if the Suns hold it draft night. The 5 clubs before that would be mad not too. Just gives the Suns an extra potential gun player if they don't.

Pick 12 is perfectly reasonable to everyone other than Richmond fans, who have been telling themselves it's pick 6 and more for so long they can see no other outcome.
You know its gonna happen

Buying club pays the price for a contracted player

You remind me of the Richmond supporters before the Prestia trade knowing we are going to pay it but holding out hope it may not happen

But it did

You know its gonna happen

Buying club pays the price for a contracted player

You remind me of the Richmond supporters before the Prestia trade knowing we are going to pay it but holding out hope it may not happen

But it did
I wouldn't be shocked if Richmond ended with pick 6, but there will be more to it than just Dan Rioli.

You remind me of a guy who has repeated his opinion so often he's convinced himself it is a fact.

I wouldn't be shocked if Richmond ended with pick 6, but there will be more to it than just Dan Rioli.

You remind me of a guy who has repeated his opinion so often he's convinced himself it is a fact.
Like what ?

You remind me of me during the prestia trade
i get where your coming from we been there

Like what ?

You remind me of me during the prestia trade
i get where your coming from we been there
The Suns will want future picks to match academy players/trade for A graders. Richmond would be mad to trade their F1 as it could well be pick 1 again, but they may end up with some good future picks from other trades. And they need as many high picks as possible.

The Suns and Richmond have done several trades without fuss (including Prestia). This will be no different.

Pick 12 for a 3 year contracted player is not reasonable.

Have a look at what I contracted players have gone for over the last few years.

I tell you what, Flanders is contracted to 2027, same length.

Give you pick 13 for him.

I'm not making any ambit claims here. I'm actually unsure where the two clubs are at.

But am I holding out for more than pick 13 and some chump change 2nd/3rd rounder for a bloke with 3, yes 3 years left on his contract. If I'm in charge?

Yes, yes I am.

Both Rioli and Bolton know it may not work and would return. There's no angst between players and club. It's not a Stringer/Bulldogs or Carey/North situation.

GC have made the play here. They are the ones who need to make it work, As footy boss Wayne Campbell said last week, we've told Daniel we want him, it's up to us to get it done.

I would be surprised if pick 13 is the best part of the deal.
You’re cherry picking what Campbell said but we will all find out soon enough

I understand that Dimma wants Rioli, but when he came into the club at the trading period last year it was the first time we actually smashed it, turned pick 4 into 4 young guns AND pick 12 this year. I know Dimma sold the farm for Taranto and Hopper, but I think he knew he was out the door by then and wanted to throw everything at one last flag tilt, I’m hopeful he is pulling the puppet strings on Craig Cameron again and he can work some magic again this off-season, just like last. What that looks like, it’s going to be interesting

The Suns will want future picks to match academy players/trade for A graders. Richmond would be mad to trade their F1 as it could well be pick 1 again, but they may end up with some good future picks from other trades. And they need as many high picks as possible.

The Suns and Richmond have done several trades without fuss (including Prestia). This will be no different.
I dont think Richmond would be in any position to off load our 1st pick and doubt 2nd pick either
Only thing would be moving picks this year into next year.

What scenario are you thinking Richmond will give back future picks for ? Surely not for pick #7-Rioli

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back