Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

2020 Trade for Out of Contract Adam Saad
CarltonSaad (86 games) + #48 (-) + #78 (-)
Essendon#8 (-) + #87 (-)

2021 Trade for Out of Contract Adam Cerra
CarltonCerra (53 games)125 XG
Fremantle#6 (-) + #2022R3 (Carlton) (-)146 XG

2022 Trade for Out of Contract Tim Taranto
GWS#12 (-) + #19 (-)146 XG
RichmondTaranto (38 games)100 XG

But pick 13, the Tigers should just take it and be happy?

GC have identified a need and targeted a player.

The fact he has 3 years left increases the price to pay. It absolutely does. I cannot see a way that pick 13 is the best part of the deal.

The last line is the kicker

"We said to Daniel we want him here, so it's up to us to uphold our end of the bargain."

Daniel : I'd like to come Dimma but can this get done ? Will Richmond trade me
Dimma : I'll make sure it gets done and we dont care what picks are the cost

GC will know Richmond would not trade Rioli for pick #12 that will end up 14-15 and Richmond has so many later picks they are already looking to move up with and would be no use to get another that will get diluted dowm
Pick #7 is the non negotiable imo
Except they've probably already agreed to a trade which is why he was strong about it in the interview. Dont think Campbell is that much of goose to be that strong otherwise

Suns will cave and pay more than what Geelong paid for Cameron. Pathetic club and Wish Geelong could benefit from the Suns poor decision making
The only club that abuses GC in trades more than Freo is Geelong, not sure you have much to complain about

Someone will bid on Lombard before 6 if the Suns hold it draft night. The 5 clubs before that would be mad not too. Just gives the Suns an extra potential gun player if they don't.

IMO the Suns trade it into next year to help get Zeke Uwland.

Pick 12 is perfectly reasonable to everyone other than Richmond fans, who have been telling themselves it's pick 6 and more for so long they can see no other outcome.

Just because you need Pick 6 for another academy player it won't come at the expense of the Tigers losing a contracted player for pick 12. The Suns got four Academy players last year Walter (No.3), Ethan Read (No.9), Jake Rogers (No.14) and Will Graham (No.26). How many do they need before the AFL admits that it's baby the Suns is a lost cause.

Just because you need Pick 6 for another academy player it won't come at the expense of the Tigers losing a contracted player for pick 12. The Suns got four Academy players last year Walter (No.3), Ethan Read (No.9), Jake Rogers (No.14) and Will Graham (No.26). How many do they need before the AFL admits that it's baby the Suns is a lost cause.
This will never happen. This isn't the thread for this but AFL is booming in SE Queensland. The AFL is getting exactly what it wanted. It's making huge ground in a rugba league state.

This will never happen. This isn't the thread for this but AFL is booming in SE Queensland. The AFL is getting exactly what it wanted. It's making huge ground in a rugba league state.
Some people will never get it.

And if Suns play finals people will complain about concessions even more than now.

I was a bit surprised this year that despite not making finals Suns had 4 sold out games. GWS could only dream about it. It was great atmosphere, for sure a lot of opposition fans but I did notice plenty of young people supporting Suns.

Some people will never get it.

And if Suns play finals people will complain about concessions even more than now.

I was a bit surprised this year that despite not making finals Suns had 4 sold out games. GWS could only dream about it. It was great atmosphere, for sure a lot of opposition fans but I did notice plenty of young people supporting Suns.

Yeah if you look closely at a suns game you will always find multiple family’s with parents in oppo gear and their kids in suns gear

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The only club that abuses GC in trades more than Freo is Geelong, not sure you have much to complain about
While I agree that the Suns have had some howlers when trading with Freo it’s not all one way traffic.

Freos discarded key defender in Sam Collins has just won his 2nd b&f , Charlie Ballard was a consolation from the Weller trade that has proven to be a quality player. Moving on Harley Bennell proved to be a good decision as was Matera, Corbett and Brodie

While I agree that the Suns have had some howlers when trading with Freo it’s not all one way traffic.

Freos discarded key defender in Sam Collins has just won his 2nd b&f , Charlie Ballard was a consolation from the Weller trade that has proven to be a quality player. Moving on Harley Bennell proved to be a good decision as was Matera, Corbett and Brodie
Who you draft doesn't reflect the trades and we got what we wanted out of all those trades bar Bennell. I wish we could have seen if Merriman could fix Bennell. Poor guy went from your early quacks to our own.

Who you draft doesn't reflect the trades and we got what we wanted out of all those trades bar Bennell. I wish we could have seen if Merriman could fix Bennell. Poor guy went from your early quacks to our own.
Agree the trades for the most part worked for Freo, all in getting at is it hasn’t all been bad news for the Suns

Didnt GC pay fremantle to take Brodie ?
its exactly the same as the Bowes deal which both were shocking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2020 Trade for Out of Contract Adam Saad
CarltonSaad (86 games) + #48 (-) + #78 (-)
Essendon#8 (-) + #87 (-)

2021 Trade for Out of Contract Adam Cerra
CarltonCerra (53 games)125 XG
Fremantle#6 (-) + #2022R3 (Carlton) (-)146 XG

2022 Trade for Out of Contract Tim Taranto
GWS#12 (-) + #19 (-)146 XG
RichmondTaranto (38 games)100 XG

But pick 13, the Tigers should just take it and be happy?

GC have identified a need and targeted a player.

The fact he has 3 years left increases the price to pay. It absolutely does. I cannot see a way that pick 13 is the best part of the deal.
Taranto and Cerra were WAY younger than Rioli - they are not comparable. Even Saab was a couple of years younger.

I think it will be pick #6 for Rioli and pick #29 (maybe even pick #41 too).

Richmond get a high end pick and salary cap space.

GC get Rioli plus points for academy players.

Win-win!

Someone will bid on Lombard before 6 if the Suns hold it draft night. The 5 clubs before that would be mad not too. Just gives the Suns an extra potential gun player if they don't.
So why wouldn't you try and move it up the order rather than trade it out?

I suspect that both North and West Coast would be willing to trade back and you seem to have the picks to get it done.

So why wouldn't you try and move it up the order rather than trade it out?

I suspect that both North and West Coast would be willing to trade back and you seem to have the picks to get it done.
What would you be looking for in return?

Personally I don’t believe a club would bid on Lombard before 6 because the top end of the draft is very even, so you would be giving up a shot at an elite player just to spite the Suns, can’t see it happening

Personally I don’t believe a club would bid on Lombard before 6 because the top end of the draft is very even, so you would be giving up a shot at an elite player just to spite the Suns, can’t see it happening
Nobody is bidding on Lombard in the top 10

We'd want 6 and 13, or maybe 6, 20, 26.

Teams will bid on Lombard where they rate him. Whether that is before 6 or not, I don't know. Many watchers seem to rate him around that mark. But I agree that nobody is bidding tactically or to spite the Suns.

We'd want 6 and 13, or maybe 6, 20, 26.

Teams will bid on Lombard where they rate him. Whether that is before 6 or not, I don't know. Many watchers seem to rate him around that mark. But I agree that nobody is bidding tactically or to spite the Suns.

Personally I really doubt someone in the first 5 picks is bidding on Lombard.

Particularly since it would completely be out of spite in this instance. It’s not like they are letting him slip down the rankings.

Most clubs don’t want to ruin a trading relationship that they may need one day.

Last edited:
That is a mistake, they should. If nothing else it wipes out more of the Suns picks as they will match him
And if Suns don't match they end up with player they did not want? Top 5 bid would be insane when Lombard is projected outside top 10.

All teams make their list and follow it. They don't bid to spite another team if they have a better player available.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back