Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Essendon having zero situation awareness, bring in mckay goldy, dursma and gresham, they thought they were close to finals and ultimately just delayed leaning into a rebuild and backing in youth. North Melbourne did the same, tried bringing in mature aged talent to get them to the promise land, fell short and still haven't recovered.

You can go too soon, whether that's the case for Gold Coast remains to be seen, we have a glut of talented youth, but alot of undersized mids and still have a lot of holes in our list. There's no point selling the farm for a player if if leaves us vulnerable in other areas
Fair point, bringing in mature players may not always work. But for sure draftees will not help Suns to play finals next year unless by some miracle we would end up with Daicos or Ashcroft type.

I am with Dimma that we have enough talent to play finals and we should be going for specific needs by trading in mature players. Mental improvement is most important, IMO.

It's not like Suns have a lot of time on their hands before some players will have enough waiting for success.

What was projected to be a mid to late teens pick in the future plus a pick in the 30s for Schulz was a very fair price considering he was contracted and Freo were trying to make finals too.
Not a good example
Lets just say Schulz was available for trade and they wanted #16 + #30 or even #18 + #30
Would you pay that ?

Thanks for correcting me with your opinion
Normally, I don't reply to your well known opinion repeated over and over again. I could not help it. So, I did the same.

Now I will just wait for your comments when we give Tigers pick 6 for Rioli. I suspect I know who will you blame. All good. Just different opinions repeated.

Last edited:

Did you ever watch him play when he was at Freo? Doesnt sound like you did.

Liam Baker is the example im going to use, the value Baker seems to be at is between 15 and 20 depending on who you ask. Schulz was better than Baker, and Schulz was contracted while Baker isnt.
30 goals a year while getting up the ground isnt something a very average player does

Dude seriously if you think Schulz is a better player than Liam Baker you are fried

Lets just say Schulz was available for trade and they wanted #16 + #30 or even #18 + #30
Would you pay that ?
If I was in Collingwoods position last year I would.
Not for the Eagles
Dude seriously if you think Schulz is a better player than Liam Baker you are fried
Schulz has let himself down this year but last year 100% he was

Then your opinion is wrong

a bit like that bloke who says thats too much for that house but the house gets sold for 20% more at the auction and he walks away saying they over paid.

Sometimes when you want something bad enough you pay what the seller asks and that becomes its value
Opinions aren't wrong until proven by facts otherwise!

If I was in Collingwoods position last year I would.
Not for the Eagles

Schulz has let himself down this year but last year 100% he was
No you would not , Nobody that knows anything about football would agree with that valuation of Schulz
He is a #20-#30 range player at best and the Pies got taken to the cleaners and are struggling with trades this year because of that.

Dont die on this hill

I see Cotchin was well received at the Lions.

Something to bear in mind, particularly those oppo supporters who are downplaying the value of players that have learnt how to perform on the big stage over a sustained period.

From Coaches, assistant coaches, list managers, recruiters, fitness and performance managers to most importantly the players there's a reason why they're in hot demand, the intel doesn't grow on trees.

So Freo and the GCS have none of this retained generational knowledge (the Lions could be lumped here too), the Suns acquired Dimma (Fagan for the Lions) for this very reason, he knows what's needed to play a competitive, finals type football
I would say Hodge playing 2 years for Lions was quite important part of Lions development too.

Thanks for correcting me with your opinion
You're welcome. No need to thank me :)

Just saying what Cochrane mentioned several times publicly. All major trade decisions (like Weller, Martin in the past) go to board that makes final decision. You can ask Evans next time when you talk to him.

Last edited:
Normally, I don't reply to your well know opinion repeated over and over again. I could not help it. So, I did the same.

Now I will just wait for your comments when we give Tigers pick 6 for Rioli. I suspect I know who will you blame. All good. Just different opinions repeated.
Yes, we have different opinions and from my point of view that should be fine.

Well not long now once Rioli gets traded for #6 plus more then your opinion would be wrong as proven by fact ?
Yes ?
My opinion that #6 is overs is a opinion which stands regardless of future trades.

Whether Gold Coast choose to pay pick #6 or not will be factual.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL if that makes you feel good then let it be

But in todays market Daniel Rioli has a price tag of #6 ++
You can huff & puff all you want, but I doubt you are speaking on behalf of the Suns recruitment staff.

So the club that gave away pick 7 and bowes for a future third rounder doesn’t think pick 6 and 20 for Rioli is value …. Lmfao
That was a once off special for the Cats.

This scenario is hardly similar in any way... unless you are giving them a 1st rounder with Rioli lol.

That was a once off special for the Cats.

This scenario is hardly similar in any way... unless you are giving them a 1st rounder with Rioli lol.
How do you know this ??

Your words : You can huff & puff all you want, but I doubt you are speaking on behalf of the Suns recruitment staff.

Fair point, bringing in mature players may not always work. But for sure draftees will not help Suns to play finals next year unless by some miracle we would end up with Daicos or Ashcroft type.
Lombard will play from R1 I reckon. Probably the most consistently underrated player in this draft.

I am with Dimma that we have enough talent to play finals and we should be going for specific needs by trading in mature players. Mental improvement is most important, IMO.

It's not like Suns have a lot of time on their hands before some players will have enough waiting for success.
I'm trying to play it out in my head, say we don't get rioli and we don't make finals...

Uproar, savage media, the whole 9 yards. Rowell and Collins are the 2 ooc players we can't lose, I think both are terrific clubmen who will want a payrise but I don't think either would likely leave if they are getting a bump. With pick 6 we took a Smillie or a Trainor, either of them played ok, 10-15 games or so and we finish 2025. The squad ages an extra year, we have that inside/outside bull who gets that much stronger, or a Sam Collins replacement becomes that more experienced. We pick up Uwland + others and crack on in 2026. Worst case.

Best case, we take Noble, have him, Powell and Uwland across half back, we do pick up a gun, has an impact and we play finals anyway (which we should have done with this list already)

Say we do take Rioli for pick 6. We finish 7th, the media says it's about time you played finals, you've been given so many concessions, northen academies are a joke wah wah wah, we maybe win a final and feel like we're on the right path. Rioli has got about 3-4 more years until he's replaced, Alex Davies is playing midfield, or we have crab as Collins' replacement. We've then got to improve from a similar position to Hawthorn are in, to win a grand final with way less artillery (they are brining in 2 key backs).

Sydney couldn't win with a midfield of Grundy, Heeney, Warner, Gulden, premierships are so hard to win, I think we will be selling ourselves short if we go all in just to make finals without consideration to the bigger picture

I'm trying to play it out in my head, say we don't get rioli and we don't make finals...

Uproar, savage media, the whole 9 yards. Rowell and Collins are the 2 ooc players we can't lose, I think both are terrific clubmen who will want a payrise but I don't think either would likely leave if they are getting a bump. With pick 6 we took a Smillie or a Trainor, either of them played ok, 10-15 games or so and we finish 2025. The squad ages an extra year, we have that inside/outside bull who gets that much stronger, or a Sam Collins replacement becomes that more experienced. We pick up Uwland + others and crack on in 2026. Worst case.

Best case, we take Noble, have him, Powell and Uwland across half back, we do pick up a gun, has an impact and we play finals anyway (which we should have done with this list already)

Say we do take Rioli for pick 6. We finish 7th, the media says it's about time you played finals, you've been given so many concessions, northen academies are a joke wah wah wah, we maybe win a final and feel like we're on the right path. Rioli has got about 3-4 more years until he's replaced, Alex Davies is playing midfield, or we have crab as Collins' replacement. We've then got to improve from a similar position to Hawthorn are in, to win a grand final with way less artillery (they are brining in 2 key backs).

Sydney couldn't win with a midfield of Grundy, Heeney, Warner, Gulden, premierships are so hard to win, I think we will be selling ourselves short if we go all in just to make finals without consideration to the bigger picture
Let's see if Rowell re-signs this off-season before his last contract season starts (like he always did so far). I have some doubts. Luko is his best friend. A bit worried.

Bloody Swans pressure yesterday was 159! Crazy crap. I bet it was mental. That list may never recover.

It's in Dimma's hands.

Let's see if Rowell re-signs this off-season before his last contract season starts (like he always did so far). I have some doubts. Luko is his best friend. A bit worried.

Bloody Swans pressure yesterday was 159! Crazy crap. I bet it was mental. That list may never recover.

It's in Dimma's hands.
Thought Ando was Rowells best mate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Daniel Rioli [UFA 2027] - Wants to join Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back