Recommitted Darcy Parish [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

It's funny the obsession people have with digging the heels in. Parish has played the 6th most (59 games) games of any 2015 draftee. The kid can obviously play. He cops a raw deal because he was a top 6 pick and people are so sad and pathetic on this forum they enjoy digging the heels in than commending the success'.

If Parish was selected in the 20's this would be a non discussion.
The Jack Watts effect.

End of the day top draft picks get greater scrutiny.

The Jack Watts effect.

End of the day top draft picks get greater scrutiny.

No one is denying top draft picks get more scrutiny. Carlton and North get more than anyone with the amount of busts they have had in the last decade. Plenty have stuffed up draft picks.

You have made your point known that you hate Essendon. Its fine, we get it.

Parish is a depth player now, Francis is a KPP still developing in the VFL, Redman is a fringe best 22 player whilst we must have seen something for North's AFL (standard) side to list him when we delisted him. Eades was speculative and Hartley has been depth since drafted playing almost half available games (2016 bans helped his cause).

Last edited by a moderator:
Think he will stick around. Hoping that this year will help him solidify what his role will be moving forward.

Will very likely never hit the level we wanted when we drafted him but still think he can be a solid Liam Shiels level midfielder in a contending team.

Think he will stick around. Hoping that this year will help him solidify what his role will be moving forward.

Will very likely never hit the level we wanted when we drafted him but still think he can be a solid Liam Shiels level midfielder in a contending team.

I think Parish would be better off leaving. He's competing with a lot of similar types at Essendon whereas at another side his blend of running ability above average pace and ability to win inside ball could fill an important midfield role. Whereas with us he's stuck on HFF

I think Parish would be better off leaving. He's competing with a lot of similar types at Essendon whereas at another side his blend of running ability above average pace and ability to win inside ball could fill an important midfield role. Whereas with us he's stuck on HFF
Could go one of two ways
If he hasn't taken Zaka's spot by years end, he leaves
Or he sticks around in a system he knows for 2 more and weighs up where is vs. Zaka then.

Langford is in a similar boat with Myers. And i reckon Laverde is with Bags.
If both aren't in the 22 come the end of their contracts, i can see them looking to move.

All 3 can play. And they're probably at the cheapest they'll come if nothing changes in their playing situation come years end.

Could go one of two ways
If he hasn't taken Zaka's spot by years end, he leaves
Or he sticks around in a system he knows for 2 more and weighs up where is vs. Zaka then.

Langford is in a similar boat with Myers. And i reckon Laverde is with Bags.
If both aren't in the 22 come the end of their contracts, i can see them looking to move.

All 3 can play. And they're probably at the cheapest they'll come if nothing changes in their playing situation come years end.

I don't think the other two are in as similar position. Myers and Baguely are poor footballers and Langford and Laverde have a lot more to prove at AFL level.

I don't think the other two are in as similar position. Myers and Baguely are poor footballers and Langford and Laverde have a lot more to prove at AFL level.
Agree. Just in terms of spots and what their futures hold.
All 3 are young. Have talent. Need to prove themselves at AFL level to varying degrees.

Langford, imo, has a better body of work from his late 2018 games.
Parish is the closer to making it though.
Laverde needs to stop getting injured. He should have been able to bank the Port game from last year, hit preseason and unseat Bags as the defensive forward. He's bigger, taller, stronger marking and far more mobile.

Parish is unfortunate in that we drafted him, Merrett broke out, we drafted McGrath, then traded in Smith and Shiel. 3 guys with elite talent put him behind the 8ball. Esp when you consider his 2nd year got screwed up when our players returned.
Had a good debut year. From there, every challenge under the sun has come his way.

All 3 are young. Have talent. Need to prove themselves at AFL level to varying degrees.

Laverde needs to stop getting injured. He should have been able to bank the Port game from last year, hit preseason and unseat Bags as the defensive forward. He's bigger, taller, stronger marking and far more mobile.

Parish is unfortunate in that we drafted him, Merrett broke out, we drafted McGrath, then traded in Smith and Shiel. 3 guys with elite talent put him behind the 8ball. Esp when you consider his 2nd year got screwed up when our players returned.
Had a good debut year. From there, every challenge under the sun has come his way.

Agree we need to look to the future with our selections and bring in a combination of Laverde, Begley, Stewart, Langford and Mynott for Baguely, Brown and Myers.

Where do you see him playing his best footy? As a mix of inside and outside play or as a run and carry type mostly on the outside?

Where do you see him playing his best footy? As a mix of inside and outside play or as a run and carry type mostly on the outside?
He's better inside than out

No one is denying top draft picks get more scrutiny. Carlton and North get more than anyone with the amount of busts they have had in the last decade. Plenty have stuffed up draft picks.

You have made your point known that you hate Essendon. Its fine, we get it.

Parish is a depth player now, Francis is a KPP still developing in the VFL, Redman is a fringe best 22 player whilst we must have seen something for North's AFL (standard) side to list him when we delisted him. Eades was speculative and Hartley has been depth since drafted playing almost half available games (2016 bans helped his cause).
We would have loved the high end picks ess have had. Picks in the top 10 that are busts really hurt a side.

We would have loved the high end picks ess have had. Picks in the top 10 that are busts really hurt a side.
Feel free to trade out a bunch of good players and finish near the bottom. That's how we usually get picks.

Sometimes we trade them out again and bring in a few decent players, Saad, Smith and Stringer for the equivalent of a handful of second round picks has worked out well for us really. They've made us a much better team, provide experience and leadership and made us more attractive to other trade targets as well. Hawthorn and Geelong have been trading out picks for years instead of hitting the draft and it served them for a while. Sydney too to some extent, though they seem to have bottomed out now.

Unfortunately bringing in 3-4 midfielders since Parish was drafted has made Parish have to work for his spot, but I mean competition for spots is meant to be a good thing so :shrug:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look I hate essendon as much as u hate us, but I can have an unbiased opinion, some of your drafting has been great, your lower picks in Fantasia, tippa, merret seem to be better choices than a lot of your higher picks. We’ve ****** up plenty of early picks aswell, but using 5 & 6 on blokes that might not be at your club within 4 years would piss me off immensely

Thorpe , Dowler and Muston dude. It happens

inside. He can tackle, harass, chase. He's good on the outside when he's confident in his disposal (sort of guy who would kick it on top of a forward surrounded by 3-4 defenders). But he's out of confidence at the moment.

Has an engine to run 4 quarters. He's good in traffic.
We should be playing him over Myers.

He's an inside mid for sure.

Came in and average 9 contested touches in his first year.

Doesn't have the pace or skill on the outside.

He basically needs to play as your #1 or #2 midfielder to be at his best but the conundrum is he is not good enough to be a #1 or #2 midfielder in a good side.

That is why he has done well in his first year when the Bombers players were suspended but once Heppell & co have come back and pushed him out he hasn't kicked on.

I'd take him for a pick in the 20s no problem as he is AFL standard and we need to keep adding AFL standard players but I think it would be fanciful the Dodo would let him go for that. It would basically be an admission he torched pick 5 or whatever he used on him originally and Dodo is not going to say he was wwwwwrong.

Fourth year player who is borderline best 22. Essendon would do well to get a pick in the 20s.
Nah a pick in the 20's seems right to me.

He is 4 years in and was a highly regarding draftee. Plus he isn't a spud, he is an AFL player

Recommitted Darcy Parish [re-signed]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back