Draft Watcher Davo-27's 2019 Draft Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
first game i knew about 80% of the players in the second game i only knew by sight 30% of the players...

*ok so number 4 was Eddie Ford, not Elijah Hollands

*3 was curtis brown and not josh clarke, no wonder he wasnt playing as well as usual :p

Last edited:
there was a 26 who played and i think he was delahunty, just not named on the team sheet, just like 39 wasnt named for vic metro and i think it was McAsey

28 was Callow and not Ellem
Delahunty was injured.
He didn't play

there was a 26 who played and i think he was delahunty, just not named on the team sheet, just like 39 wasnt named for vic metro and i think it was McAsey

28 was Callow and not Ellem
You are thinking of Matt Conroy #29.

well the first game was a good game, its hard when you dont have a team sheet and are watching players play in new colours, especially the light blue with white numbering.

Baldi dominated the clearances and was a busy player from the 3/4's i saw, Hayden Young did his thing from half back, Cahill tackled hard and was involved in some tough play and got a goal for his efforts, Flanders was winning a lot of tough ball too and niggling opponents all game, Crosserley was the Allies best midfielder, he was involved in getting a lot of the allies tough poss, Thorne was good and provided run and carry and clever poss, Collins dominated half back for the allies, this kid will go high in 2020, Green was a bull in the middle, bashing bodies and i believe he kicked a goal? O'Neill was providing quality kicking from half back a new role for him, Callow and Conroy(thought it was Delahunty) took strong marks and were a dangerous focal point up forw, Pepper had a small run and did a couple of nice things (Hawk NGA)but was quiet, Wild got a lot of poss but was wayward as usual, Jackson Barling was good up forw for the Allies and in small bursts in the mid.

second game started with a bang, Eddie Ford(i thought he was Hollands) marked 45m from goal near the boundary and kicked a magnificent goal that went 55m in a straight line, early in the game Adam Carafa was winning a bunch of clearances and feeding runners, i thought he was Finn Maginness as he had his shoulders strapped and a similar frame, Harrsion Jones kicked 2-3(ended up being 4) lovely goals and he seemed a danger up forw, Gaden provided a contest in the air and won some hard fought poss, Errol Gulden was good in bursts, Stapleton was good and gave his team mates options, Downie was good in patches and kicked the last goal, Corey Watts struggled and im not sure where he stands atm.

the first game was a legitimate good contest as the Allies played their best team for the most part and so did Country, the Metro game felt like watching the bottom 25 for the Allies and Vic Metro

figured it all out (thanks for the player lists), my notes are all like 6 vc Baldi?, 28 Allies ?, 17 VC Young?, 1 Cahill, 4 Flanders, 12 Allies Crosserley?, 19 Allies Collins, 13 Allies Barling? 22 Allies Green, 36 Allies ?, 13 vc Rantall (got hit), Dodoro was talking about how he was trolling someone but he actually likes a player, i assumed he was talking about Pepper and a bid for him?(maybe mid-season draft, since its happening tomorrow) ect ect ect ect

Last edited:
well the first game was a good game, its hard when you dont have a team sheet and are watching players play in new colours, especially the light blue with white numbering.

Baldi dominated the clearances and was a busy player from the 3/4's i saw, Hayden Young did his thing from half back, Cahill tackled hard and was involved in some tough play and got a goal for his efforts, Flanders was winning a lot of tough ball too and niggling opponents all game, Crosserley was the Allies best midfielder, he was involved in getting a lot of the allies tough poss, Thorne was good and provided run and carry and clever poss, Collins dominated half back for the allies, this kid will go high in 2020, Green was a bull in the middle, bashing bodies and i believe he kicked a goal? O'Neill was providing quality kicking from half back a new role for him, Callow took strong marks and was a dangerous focal point up forw, Pepper had a small run and did a couple of nice things (Hawk NGA)but was quiet, Wild got a lot of poss but was wayward as usual, Jackson Barling was good up forw for the Allies and in small bursts in the mid.

second game started with a bang, Eddie Ford(i thought he was Hollands) marked 45m from goal near the boundary and kicked a magnificent goal that went 55m in a straight line, early in the game Adam Carafa was winning a bunch of clearances and feeding runners, i thought he was Finn Maginness as he had his shoulders strapped and a similar frame, Harrsion Jones kicked 2-3 lovely goals and he seemed a danger up forw, Gaden provided a contest in the air and won some hard fought poss, Errol Gulden was good in bursts, Stapleton was good and gave his team mates options, Downie was good in patches and kicked the last goal, Corey Watts struggled and im not sure where he stands atm.

the first game was a legitimate good contest as the Allies played their best team for the most part and so did Country, the Metro game felt like watching the bottom 25 for the Allies and Vic Metro

figured it all out (thanks for the player lists), my notes are all like 6 vc Baldi?, 28 Allies ?, 17 VC Young?, 1 Cahill, 4 Flanders, 12 Allies Crosserley?, 19 Allies Collins, 13 Allies Barling? 22 Allies Green, 36 Allies ? ect ect ect ect
Both teams had about the same aust reps,

AFL Academy reps out:

Allies were missing Rosas Jnr, Delahunty, Reville, Dakin, Davies, Jungfer, Tozer (7)
VC were missing Chirgwin, Hollands, Serong, Dow, Kemp, Ash, Stephens, Perez, Bruhn, B Smith, De Koning, Wareham (12)
VM were missing W Phillips, Mahony, Tucker, Major, Edwardes, Ralphsmith, Bryan, Williams, Dean, Worrell, McAsey, Anderson, Macrae, Rossiter, Jeka, Bianco, Rowell (17)

Last edited:
congrats to Mitch Riordan, Kyle Dunkley and Cody Hirst, 3 very good youngsters and no surprise they got drafted.

time to edit and take them off my first post.

hey davo did any of the Tasmanian boys impress you on the weekend for the allies

the same 4 Tassie players that have played well all season looked good, O'Neill, Collins, Davis and Callow to varying degrees, i felt as if Collins was the best Tassie player followed by O'Neill both in defence, the other 2 were ok

(Log in to remove this ad.)

O’Neill in defence? How did he look never seen him play there did you like him there?

he played that half back play maker role which worked for him because of his high kicking skills and ability to read the play, he lacks some speed though, which is why i like him more as an inside mid, but he did well off of half back and wing

Vic Country 37 man squad

1 Ned Cahill - Dand
2 Caleb Serong - Gipps
3 Cody Weightman - Dand
4 Sam Flanders - Gipps
5 Cameron Wild - Murr
6 Riley Baldi - Gipps
7 Mitch Martin - GWV
8 Thomson Dow - Bend
9 Isaac Wareham - GWV
10 Harrison Pepper - Gipps
12 Lachlan Ash - Murr
13 Jay Rantall - GWV
14 Liam Herbert - GWV
15 Ryan Sparkes - Gipps
16 Brodie Kemp - Bend
17 Hayden Young - Dand
18 Brady Rowles - Bend
19 Fraser Phillips - Gipps
20 Elijah Hollands - Murr
21 Cooper Stephens - Geel
22 Darcey Chirgwin - Geel/Sand
24 Brock Smith - Gipps
25 Flynn Perez - Bend
26 Jesse Clark - Geel
27 Oliver Henry - Geel
29 Lachlan Williams - Dand
30 James Schischka - Bend
32 Ben Worme - Bend
33 Josh Treacy - Bend
34 Bigoa Nyuon - Dand
35 Toby Mahony - GWV
36 Sam De Koning - Dand
37 Blake Kuipers - Dand
38 Henry Walsh - Geel
39 Josh Smith - Gipps
40 Charlie Comben - Gipps
41 Tanner Bruhn - Geel

Vic Metro 36 man squad

1 Jack Mahony - Sand
2 Mitch Mellis - East
5 Trent Bianco - Oak
6 Finlay Macrae - Oak
7 Lachlan Stapleton - East
8 Adam Carafa - North
9 Will Phillips - Oak
11 Matthew Rowell - Oak
12 Ryan Byrnes - Sand
13 Daniel Mott - Cald
14 James Ross - East
15 Louis Butler - Sand
16 Darcy Cassar - West
17 Ryan Gardner - North
18 Lachlan Potter - North
19 Josh Honey - West
20 Connor Downie - East
21 Hugo Ralphsmith - Sand
22 Miles Bergman - Sand
23 Dylan Williams - Oak
24 Noah Anderson - Oak
25 Finn Maginness - Sand
26 Ryan Sturgess - North
27 Oscar Lewis - Sand
28 Jamieson Rossiter - East
29 Fischer McAsey - Sand
30 Harrison Jones - Cald
31 Josh Worrell - Sand
33 Corey Watts - Sand
34 Charlie Dean - Sand
35 Nikolas Cox - North
36 Emerson Jeka - West
37 Andrew Courtney - Sand
38 Brodie Newman - Cald
39 Jack Bell - Sand
40 Nick Bryan - Oak

a few players i would have liked to see in the squads that were not included.

Vic Country:
Chas Karpala - Geel - he has some tricks about him, high tackle numbers 9 a game, can play anywhere but mostly mid
Luca Goonan - Dand - solid bodied mid/forw, good burst player and strong around the contest
Jye Chalcraft - Murr - clever forw who can also mix it in the mid
Riley Wilson - Bend - solid half back flanker, run and carry type with courage
Charlie Harris - Geel - slightly built mid so i can understand why he didnt get picked but could be a back-up?
Charlie Lazzaro - Geel - one of the best underagers going around, not sure if injured or playing school footy?
Noah Gribble - Geel - another solid underager that plays mostly half back
Hudson Kaak - Murr - if Vic C are struggling to kick goals, Kaak has kicked 11 goals in 4 games this season at an average of close to 3 a game

Vic Metro:
Jackson Davies - North - i love his attack on the ball from defense and his calmness under pressure
Harrison Minton-Connell - Cald - i think he may be injured but could get a call up?
Zakery Pretty - East - really good in and under mid, surprised he didnt get a call up
Sam Ramsay - Cald - skilled mid, goal kicking mid
Eddie Ford - West - had an impressive Trial game, but was not enough to get selected in the squad, good underager
Josh Clarke - East - one of the best underagers who has played mainly as a half back
Jackson Cardillo - Cald - talented young player, might be a bit too skinny for this years squad?

Last edited:
potential starting 22 imo... (prediction?)

Vic Country

B: L.Williams, De Koning, B.Smith
HB: Young, Schischka, Ash

C: Dow, Flanders, Rantall
R: Walsh, Kemp, Baldi

HF: Weightman, Hollands, Serong
F: Cahill, J.Smith, Martin

INT: Pepper, F.Phillips, Rowles, Henry
EMER: Wild

(the depth is an issue with 3 players injured C.Stephens/Perez/Chirgwin with only Sparkes/Comben of a high level to come in)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vic Metro

B: Lewis, Newman, Ross
HB: Bianco, McAsey, Worrell

C: Stapleton, Maginness, Mott
R: Bryan, Rowell, Anderson

HF: Mellis, Rossiter, Mahony
F: D.Williams, Dean, Jones

INT: Downie, Ralphsmith, W.Phillips, Byrnes
EMER: Carafa

(Metro have a bit of depth with Macrae/Butler/Cassar/Gardner/Honey/Bergman/Sturgess/Watts/Jeka as good backup)

Last edited:

Vic Country

(the depth is an issue with 3 players injured C.Stephens/Perez/Chirgwin with only Sparkes/Comben of a high level to come in)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Vic Metro

(Metro have a bit of depth with Macrae/Butler/Cassar/Gardner/Honey/Bergman/Sturgess/Watts/Jeka as good backup)
Byrnes unlikely, had ice on the hamstring at quarter time of the Metro trial game

Vic Country

Vic Metro

Sturgess and Carafa both playing

P.S. another thing i wanted to say was i believe Jack Musika(Sth Fre) would be a good inclusion to the WA squad for the Championships.

Completely disagree. The only positive he brings is tackling pressure and there's a lot of that from the inside midfielders already in the squad. Terrible decision making and skills are very bad. Also struggles with his smaller frame as an inside mid and doesn't have the pace or skill to convert to the outside. His ceiling is a WAFL reserves ball magnet. Hard pass.

Also surprised to see you rank Deven Robertson so low. Easily a more natural footballer than Warner who you have ranked at 22 and they play the same position?

You don't seem to rate Martyn in your top 50 but Towmey has him as a top 20 players in the system what's the major reason you don't seem to rate him
Twomey doesn't rate Martyn as top 20.

Every year, Twomey puts out his first Top 20 after U18 Championships. This weeks article was just a 20 players to watch article.

Pretty similar, but not as good as Matt Balmer's article for Fox Footy.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...e/news-story/c92fa71e9e216855779d1c2074245a6c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back