Oppo Camp Death Riding: North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroo Spooners

Where will North Melbourne end up at the end of 2023?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a chat with a guy who used to work at Hawthorn.

Said I was surprised that after Clarkson had so much success building via the draft when he started that he didn't go back to that well. Instead tried to top up, recruit, trade away all their picks.

I asked why the change of mindset.

He said the difference was that when Clarkson started he was a rookie coach and hadn't won four flags.

At the beginning he had no say in list management, minimal in recruitment, nothing on contracts. There was separation of powers. Chris Pelchen had the say over the list, Clarkson just coached the team he was given.

However once he'd won four flags Pelchen was gone and Clarkson basically ran the show. Graham Wright didn't say no to him. Did everything his way including list management. And they nosedived

Said I was surprised that after Clarkson had so much success building via the draft when he started that he didn't go back to that well. Instead tried to top up, recruit, trade away all their picks.

He said the difference was that when Clarkson started he was a rookie coach and hadn't won four flags.

At the beginning he had no say in list management, minimal in recruitment, nothing on contracts. There was separation of powers. Chris Pelchen had the say over the list, Clarkson just coached the team he was given.

However once he'd won four flags Pelchen was gone and Clarkson basically ran the show. Graham Wright didn't say no to him. Did everything his way including list management. And they nosedived

The majority of the best drafting was done before Clarkson arrived with Franklin, Roughhead and Lewis already earmarked for 2004 draft.
Their 2005 and 2006 drafts were ordinary.
After the 2008 flag Hawthorn was rhe destination club recruiting the likes of Burgoyne, Gibson, Hale, Gunston, Lake, McEvoy, Frawley chesply.
The 2016 O'meara and Mitchel followed by Wingard trades exactly as you say Clarko taking over and they started to pay overs.

Pretty hard to say no to a modern day great coach.

The majority of the best drafting was done before Clarkson arrived with Franklin, Roughhead and Lewis already earmarked for 2004 draft.
Their 2005 and 2006 drafts were ordinary.
After the 2008 flag Hawthorn was rhe destination club recruiting the likes of Burgoyne, Gibson, Hale, Gunston, Lake, McEvoy, Frawley chesply.
The 2016 O'meara and Mitchel followed by Wingard trades exactly as you say Clarko taking over and they started to pay overs.

Pretty hard to say no to a modern day great coach.

These were all masterstrokes at the time to be fair.

At the time it seemed like Burgoyne and Gibson they'd overpaid for, Hale and Lake were finished, and Gunston and McEvoy were well rated juniors who hadn't consistently put it all together.

Masterful recruiting to put those blokes in a side with Hodge, Mitchell, Lewis, Buddy etc.

If North is paying him a fortune and taking up a big chunk of their soft cap, they will surely end up depleting talent elsewhere in their footy dept and Clarko ends up needing to be a one man army by necessity. Wouldn't have thought North would go over the cap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It does take a little bit of the fun out of death riding Nth Melb when they are that awful.

It does take a little bit of the fun out of death riding Nth Melb when they are that awful.

The point of a death ride is to enjoy their misery because they were dumb enough to trade a future pick to you.

That said, Clarko having them play loser football works for me.

The point of a death ride is to enjoy their misery because they were dumb enough to trade a future pick to you.

That said, Clarko having them play loser football works for me.
Thanks for the explanation Captain Obvious.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oppo Camp Death Riding: North Melbourne Tasmania Kangaroo Spooners

Back