Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Super-mega-ultrathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the pressing need to find extractors. I look at Hawthorn and Geelong see they way they're playing football and look back at the list and see a problem more and more with our running brigade across the board. Everything between half back and half forward seems deficient when comparing lists, they're tall, they're fast and they use the ball well.

Getting some quality extractors (that have some offensive potency) will give us long term flexibility on where we rotate Shuey, Masten and Gaff. Instantly improving the depth and make us a more potent side.

If you had to draw a line you would consider Acres to be an outside midfielder, but he's very balanced in this respect.

Alec is an inside midfielder, he's more selective than Priddis and Kerr though. Where he settles at higher levels is anyone's guess.

Interesting people consider Acres as an outside midfield player. Probably got this from the limited 18's carnival . Watching his games last year and this year I would put him more as a balance midfielder. He's a player who knows when to to be a sweeper or when to hit the pack and get his own ball. Players like this are unique, most players are either inside or outside player not a balance of both.

PATRICK CRIPPS Height: 190cms Weight: 89kgs Team/Club: WA/East Fremantle Position: Inside Midfielder Player Comparison: Luke Ball Draft Range: 20-30 Player Profile The surname is familiar, because it is.
Patrick Cripps is the third cousin of West
Coast and former St Kilda player Jamie
Cripps, and the younger cousin is set to
make a big impact at AFL level once
drafted at seasons end. Cripps is professional player, disciplined, and
places a huge emphasis on hard work
and a team-first attitude that clubs hold
in high esteem. Cripps plied his trade as
an inside, ball winning and extracting
machine, whilst also playing in stints across half back showing a bit of
versatility to on-looking recruiters. Cripps
craves a contest, he’s very much in a
Luke Ball mould (but with a few more
cms on him), and has the body shape
that’ll quite easily be up to the rigours of AFL football. With a big engine, Cripps is a fairly good runner, but won’t damage you as a burst-away prospect, but he is so vital to on-ball structures,
and offers so much in the way of tackling, clearances and shovelling the ball out of packs to a
player running past, that as an inside player – it really can’t be measured. Cripps could make an
immediate impact in 2014 if drafted to a bottom 8 club that needs a classy inside midfielder, a
bit in the same way Ollie Wines has impacted in his first year at Port Adelaide, or could spend a
bit of time in a reserves competition, where he could be groomed to take over a role in the coming years. Strengths Came into the championships with big wraps on him, and demonstrated his ability to link up, be
involved in scoring chains and play on ball, where his clearance work was standout early. He’s
quite a good size at 190cms, and fantastic in the contested situation, and plays predominately
as an inside midfielder, and moves like a Luke Ball type. The other fantastic thing about Cripps,
is that he has grown a massive 20cms in the last two years, which shows recruiters that his
body is still developing, and potentially has more to go – that in itself is a great base to build off. Has great poise, consistency, vision and clean hands and is club leadership material. Craves a
contest, is dirty if he doesn’t stick a tackle, adds a lot of physicality, courage, heart, passion
and ferocity to any side. A born competitior who is always determind to win the contested
ball. Was also vice-captain of the WA side, and led the team in the final match against SA
where he was a strong leader. Weaknesses Not a polished kick of the footy by any stretch of the imagination, a true inside midfielder is what
Cripps is. Lacks pace too, but his grunt work and leadership more than makes up for that. There
are areas of his game that can still be modifield and fine tuned, and his kicking will get some
immediate attention once drafted.

If sheed is still there at our pick we should take him and run . Good inside and outside mid raking left foot , clean hands inside goes fwd and kicks goals ! Also has captain written all over him in the hodge mould , as in what he does on the field inspires his fellow team mates. Second pick outside mid with class . Acres if available or dwyane Wilson ! Then 3 rd + 3rd compo pick activated for best available mid and a utility ,maybe garlett . If we could package smith and 3 rd compo pick ( which is end of 3rd round) for a early 3rd pick we could have 4 picks in top 40 then upgrade bennell with 4th rounder. That would be 5 new players on senior list and a rookie .

Give me Marcus Bontempelli over Sheed any day of the week as our first pick.

I agree that WC need another quality OM to accompany Gaff, but it's not such a pressing need to the point that it needs to be sorted in this year's draft. There are bigger holes to fill.

I've always seen Acres as more of an outside player, hence not wanting WC to use a first round pick on him due to the great need for a quality IM or two.

It's a broad definition to say "midfield" nowadays, as it encompasses every differing midfield role. That's why I use "IM", "OM", "tagger"/"run-with" for clarity. What specifically is going to be Alec's role?

Acres is my favourite kid this year truly both inside and out so very balanced.
Oh EH Acres has genuine pace, he is quicker than a Dalziell, who is has similar endurance levels.
Acres, Robinson, Cripps along with our first rounder would be very nice.

Acres is my favourite kid this year truly both inside and out so very balanced.
Oh EH Acres has genuine pace, he is quicker than a Dalziell, who is has similar endurance levels.
Acres, Robinson, Cripps along with our first rounder would be very nice.

You've likely seen Acres play more than I; Does he have/use break away from congestion pace?

An IM/OM with break away from congestion pace = another Shuey. That's exactly the type of midfielder WC should be eying off with their first round pick. If Acres is such a player, there's no doubt that he should be pursued at the earliest possibility. But, unlike Shuey, I don't think Acres has shown as much aptitude for the grunt work of an IM as Shuey had at the same stage. This vital component makes me hesitant to want Acres as WC's first round selection, especially given WC's need of a midfielder who can capably play as grunt.

It isn't priority for WC to get more midfielders who're predominantly first or second receivers of handballs that come out of congestion, but rather, someone who has a well rounded game, but focuses on his extraction work. Such is my ideal of what WC should be looking for come draft time with their first pick.

http://tesseract

From what you've wrote, I think freeman is the player you'd like most.

Personally think we'll end up with pick 7 and that botempelli will go at 5 or 6.

I dunno, I can see us potentially getting pick 5 to be honest... 5 to 7 anyway. Next week will be telling...
I do however think bontempelli will rise in the rankings after a strong tac campaign and what I suspect will be a strong combine from him.

I think we should go after Adam Cooney and Eddie Betts. Both are restricted free agents and we should have enough cap space after the expected retirements/delistings. Would solve two problems and also would not cost any draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we should go after Adam Cooney and Eddie Betts. Both are restricted free agents and we should have enough cap space after the expected retirements/delistings. Would solve two problems and also would not cost any draft picks.

Cooney will sign with the bullies. Betts is a spud, no way, we need quick back men who can tag small to medium forwards out of game.

Cooney will sign with the bullies. Betts is a spud, no way, we need quick back men who can tag small to medium forwards out of game.
They might end up staying with their respective clubs. No harm in trying, right? Betts may be a spud but he is better than Hams, is n't he?

For those who know more/have seen the potential Draftees in the flesh, how likely is it that we can build/develop speed into Sheed's game? My concern is that we are writing off Sheed because of this shortcoming and his lack of a standout feature (Despite being very solid across many areas).

I'm basing this on the fact that Shuey's pace developed substantially during his early years with us, and that he wasn't exceptionally quick to begin with. I'd argue that if there are things that are wrong with Sheed's gait and posture, we could get them sorted pretty quick.

Betts is not a spud, but I don't think he offers us value. I'm not concerned about our forward line.

With Brennan, Wilson and Carter, I think we are addressing our need for medium defenders. Not a priority IMO.

Midfield is the issue.

For those who know more/have seen the potential Draftees in the flesh, how likely is it that we can build/develop speed into Sheed's game? My concern is that we are writing off Sheed because of this shortcoming and his lack of a standout feature (Despite being very solid across many areas).

I'm basing this on the fact that Shuey's pace developed substantially during his early years with us, and that he wasn't exceptionally quick to begin with. I'd argue that if there are things that are wrong with Sheed's gait and posture, we could get them sorted pretty quick.
IIRC, Shuey tested in the top 10 over 20m at draft camp. He was/is very quick.

Shuey has always been quick. Tested quick at draft camp. Sheed is just a natural footballer. Think simon black. I strongly believe he will succeed at afl level to a high standard. Not every star mid is a gamebreaker (mitchell, joel selwood, dal santo).

IIRC, Shuey tested in the top 10 over 20m at draft camp. He was/is very quick.

My bad if that's the case. I must have him mixed up with someone else. I had heard through the grape vine that he was quick, but not with the burst speed that he has now.

I wonder if it's worth going balls out to get a second first rounder. Given Mitch Brown signing on, the obvious question is: how?

Short of Ash Smith, what have we got that is worth something that we can trade, that also doesn't hurt us?

This coupled with the "Yarran's agent wants him to come to WA" deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back