Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Super-mega-ultrathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt we'd get Gaff to GC if he had go-home disease. That said, even if it was done with a little 3-way action getting Bennell is basically replacing him with a similar outsidey mid. Although Swallow is a little different, it doesn't solve the thought of trading one of our outside mids for an inside.

LOL love it.

Yet a player under contract can shop himself, let the club be low-balled and then be pissed off with the result.

Or looking at it another way, a club can target a specific under contract player knowing full well the final say in the trade rests with that player. There's no tampering rules so the player just needs to be convinced, and you end up with the same result: pissed off player, club in a bind.

Fundementally I agree with what you're saying and you're right - it doesn't seem 'fair' both ways. The problem is the structure and the reality of it is weighted to the player.

Take Brown for example, he wanted to leave, didn't leave, now stays and gets a contract extension.

If we tried to trade LeCras and the trade falls through given he is under a 5 year contract the worse case from a LeCras perspective is that he is disgruntled, unhappy and then wants to be traded and we possibly get less for him (although given he is contracted we would hold the cards). However that attitude might affect Gaff, Shuey, etc when its time for them to re-new their contracts.

I disagree. I think we've got a lot of quick players - Gaff, Shuey, Scooter, Naitanui, Darling. Agility and the belief to take the player/game on are issues though, and Shuey is generally the only player who does this.
Which presumably can be solved by coaching (see: Bomber Thompson at Geelong) or by grabbing players who do this already (Jetta at Sydney).

With the current team the problem is, if you grab a Yarran, by the time Cox/Embley/Priddis et al have gone back to his mark and looked around a bit, Yarran has either run further away than Cox/Embley/Priddis et al can kick, or the defense has caught up and cover him.

Of course, moving the ball quickly is useless if we don't do it accurately to the correct targets - which is another problem we've had this year (see: Waters' cross vs Essendon). I don't think a Yarran will solve that.

Hmm, agree to disagree here on the quickness of our players (but agree with most of your other comments). I don't think Shuey, Gaff or Selwood are overly quick, they have average or above average speed for today's mids, I don't see them as having genuine pace. Shuey appears quick at times due to his agility and ability to beat players through traffic and while quick(er) doesn't have line breaking ability (but is our best option atm and can at times break open the play).

I like Yarran's flexibility to be played off the half back, through the middle in bursts and off the HFF. Acknowledge your comments above, but his value would also come from breaking away from stoppages, line breaking run & carry, etc. Given he is out of favour somewhat and is a WA boy I'd like to see him targeted. Back home and playing with his mate NicNat we might see the best of him. Ideally I'd prefer someone like Bennell, but that seems out of reach.

On a side note my preference with our first pick would be to try and target a genuine young mid like a Bennell. Pick 6 + A.Selwood for Bennell ftw. :D

Could be a Wayne Carey, could be a Tom Hawkins, could be a Paul Johson. There is no certainty when it comes to the draft, I think this is a typical media stunt from Kevin and GWS.

The saying goes "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" GWS seem to think it is the other way around.

2010 draft had David Swallow way out in front at pick 1. IMO, Bennell and Prestia are both ahead of him at this point.

Yeah agree, it comes down to opportunity cost, which is why I disclaimered my post with 'with minimal hurt'. I wouldn't move heaven and earth to get pick 1, but if we could do it relatively painlessly then why not. From (the little) I've seen and heard Boyd is unlikely to be a Paul Johnson.

The reality is though that we have a 0.00000001% chance of trading for pick 1, so its a moot point.

The reason we took Morton, Dick and Bennel is because of Gold Coast and GWS they had all the picks so ours pick were late in the draft and also because of Stevens, Swift, and Ebert leaving we had no depth. I think after this coming draft we will have the depth we need. MID, MID, MID, MID PLEASE WC

Yeah agree, it comes down to opportunity cost, which is why I disclaimered my post with 'with minimal hurt'. I wouldn't move heaven and earth to get pick 1, but if we could do it relatively painlessly then why not. From (the little) I've seen and heard Boyd is unlikely to be a Paul Johnson.

The reality is though that we have a 0.00000001% chance of trading for pick 1, so its a moot point.

That's generous. We needed to go hard for JOM or Martin. FTS.

I also think Morton and Bennel and Dick without injuries could be better than some on our list and don't forget Hill was a reject and he has come good and what about Sydney taking a reject from the hawks called Kennedy. The last GF would have looked a lot different if the hawks stuck with him.

That's generous. We needed to go hard for JOM or Martin. FTS.

Yep. What scares me is reading a report that Martin has been significantly better in the reserves than JOM was last year. :eek:

I also think Morton and Bennel and Dick without injuries could be better than some on our list and don't forget Hill was a reject and he has come good and what about Sydney taking a reject from the hawks called Kennedy. The last GF would have looked a lot different if the hawks stuck with him.

I'd really like to see all three of those guys get a chance over the next few weeks seeing as our season is shot (not sure if the latter two are match ready yet given their injuries though).

I'd really like to see all three of those guys get a chance over the next few weeks seeing as our season is shot (not sure if the latter two are match ready yet given their injuries though).

Bennell's had a pretty extended run in the seniors now. Dick's only been back a couple of weeks since his most recent injury layoff.

GWS won't even have pick one. The AFL will give that to Melbourne as a priority pick.

What they should get is a PP 2nd round pick if anything at all.

But the AFL may want some football headlines to distract us from the Essendon fiasco and with those in charge who knows.

Demetriou has talked about how the integrity of the game is so important well if that's the case Melbourne get nothing because they were just found guilty of tanking and Essendon get the biggest combined penalty in AFL history. Salary cap breaches like Tippet is nothing compared to club endorsed, funded and supported drug program that still no one knows is legal?

I don't put ordinary foot skills down to lack of match fitness and games, for Wellingham's foot skills were the same during his time at Collingwood. He's been around the game long enough to make a call on this issue. I won't be making excuses for Wellingham's ordinary foot skills.
Ive always thought he was a pretty good user of the ball. Hes better than Selwood and Priddis at the least. Anyone else have thoughts on Wellinghams footskills?

Who would be our best midfield kick? Im tempted to say Masten, he can drill passes but he can spray kicks sometimes under pressure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who would be our best midfield kick? Im tempted to say Masten, he can drill passes but he can spray kicks sometimes under pressure

I think Masten is the best midfield kick. His kicks are often spears: low and hard. Such keeps it at the right height for opposition players to at times intercept it. Such doesn't necessarily make them bad kicks though. Perhaps it could be considered a decision making error instead, given he attempts such passes when opposition are in close proximity to it's intended target.

O god I hope they don't give them a PP!! even a second round one they don't deserve...

I'd be okay with them getting a pick at the end of the first or second rounds.
But to give them another top pick is just relieving them of the responsibility that all clubs have to pick wisely. Giving them a less quality pick says "yeah you don't have enough talent on your list, but this way instead of it being handed on a platter you'll have to find it".

Ive always thought he was a pretty good user of the ball. Hes better than Selwood and Priddis at the least. Anyone else have thoughts on Wellinghams footskills?

the best thing about wellingham from last match (and i hope this is on par with his usual form) was his delivery into the forward line. he was able to look ahead, make a good decision and pin point a pass to a forward. it was like a breath of fresh air compared to the usual "bomb and pray" technique we're so used to seeing.

Wellingham is generally reliable by foot. He can be erratic and is far from elite but the best thing about him is that he lowers his eyes.

I would rate his footskills as 'decent' and probably ahead of Scott Selwood based on the latter's 2013 form.

His kicking I think is similar to Masten's in that he lowers the eyes, tries to hit ambitious targets and can absolutely spear a kick to a lead. Not as consistently good as Masten's, but a breath of fresh air compared to the dinky 20m kicks of little consequence or kicks to packs that many in the team favour.

the best thing about wellingham from last match (and i hope this is on par with his usual form) was his delivery into the forward line. he was able to look ahead, make a good decision and pin point a pass to a forward. it was like a breath of fresh air compared to the usual "bomb and pray" technique we're so used to seeing.

I would have thought that Scott Burns would be getting stuck into them about bombing it long. Woosha seems to love the long kick, we over do it. We need more run and carry, got to many slow and middle speed players though

Shuey's field kicking is a bit better than masten's. Can do it on both sides and sprays less of them. Although masten is a better shot for goal on the run/snap, but shuey is a better set shot.

Shuey's field kicking is a bit better than masten's. Can do it on both sides and sprays less of them. Although masten is a better shot for goal on the run/snap, but shuey is a better set shot.

yeah I rate Shuey more damaging by foot.

I really hope these rumors of West coast being very interested in Yarran aren't true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back