Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Super-mega-ultrathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. It's why I think WC should take Patrick Cripps with their 2nd round selection. Patrick Cripps is a tall IM at 188cm. He's a big rig at 88kg, which is an excellent base to build upon for an IM. He averages 24.9 disposals per game at Colts level, which is good.

Should be a lot of big bodied midfield prospects potentially available at our first or second picks.
Cripps, Acres, Dunstan, Marsh, Lennon and Scharenberg off the top of my head.
Freeman and Salem aren't particularly tall (neither is Joel Selwood) but are very solidly built and play hard, strong football.
Freeman and Marsh's pace along with strong frames make them very intriguing prospects

And a top rate outside winger. But the core group is in place in my view.

WC should wait till next year to draft another wingman, IMO. WC need to be drafting IM's to replace Kerr and, eventually, Priddis. More than one IM is needed, too. Both Kerr and Priddis are aging, so with two fairly early draft picks, now is especially the right the time to prepare to replace them with quality youngsters.

Rosa is adequate on the wing. No rush to replace him given his age. That's why a top quality wingman shouldn't be on the shopping list for this year, for it isn't a pressing need. WC's two early rounds picks should be on IM's, not an OM. If a top quality wingman were to be the agenda, a first round pick would likely be required. A first round pick on a type that's not needed at present, like a wingman, shouldn't be on the agenda this year unless WC's recruiters have completely lost their marbles. So, a wingman may a more suitable option for next year's draft.

Another option could be to make Masten a permanent feature on a wing, while focusing on bringing in bigger bodies for the IM roles. Masten's running capacity and ability to spread from the contest certainly makes him more than a capable option on a wing.

The more that is posted about this guy the more I like. 6'3 and 88kg is a good place to start.

Anyone know how his footskills are?

Pokes at the ball a little too much for me. He's compared to Jobe Watson a lot and it's pretty accurate, even when it comes to his kicking action.

WC should wait till next year to draft another wingman, IMO. WC need to be drafting IM's to replace Kerr and, eventually, Priddis. More than one IM is needed, too. Both Kerr and Priddis are aging, so with two fairly early draft picks, now is especially the right the time to prepare to replace them with quality youngsters.

Rosa is adequate on the wing. No rush to replace him given his age. That's why a top quality wingman shouldn't be on the shopping list for this year, for it isn't a pressing need. WC's two early rounds picks should be on IM's, not an OM. If a top quality wingman were to be the agenda, a first round pick would likely be required. A first round pick on a type that's not needed at present, like a wingman, shouldn't be on the agenda this year unless WC's recruiters have completely lost their marbles. So, a wingman may a more suitable option for next year's draft.

Another option could be to make Masten a permanent feature on a wing, while focusing on bringing in bigger bodies for the IM roles. Masten's running capacity and ability to spread from the contest certainly makes him more than a capable option on a wing.

West Coast could do with some genuinely talented outside midfielders and flankers because apart from Gaff we're pretty poor in the department and even then Gaff isn't perfect as he's not tall, or quick. I don't think it should be our top priority but tall guys with leg speed and foot skills should be a commonly occurring draft aspiration irrespective of where they play.

Acres is great because he can rotate through the wings, flanks and through the centre square at colts level. Doesn't have genuine leg speed but is a great runner, strong mark and sublime decision maker. Could easily go top ten.

We have at least one midfielder coming at the end of next year.

Should be a lot of big bodied midfield prospects potentially available at our first or second picks.
Cripps, Acres, Dunstan, Marsh, Lennon and Scharenberg off the top of my head.
Freeman and Salem aren't particularly tall (neither is Joel Selwood) but are very solidly built and play hard, strong football.
Freeman and Marsh's pace along with strong frames make them very intriguing prospects

I think that WC should use both their first and second round picks on IM's this year. If WC are fairly sure they can grab a beast in Cripps with their second round selection, their first can go on someone not so big but has class and/or a standout feature to their game that brings something to the midfield that it lacks or is short of.

Scharenberg would be nice get for a first round selection, for if he doesn't eventually become an IM, he could still fill a role somewhat akin to that of Short Steppell on the half back line. Behind WC's need for IM's, I believe another quality HBF is needed. WC have plenty of HBF's, but many of them aren't reliable enough. And to possibly have a midfielder who can rotate into the back line rather than go forward, just adds an extra dimension to WC's midfield by bringing something that WC lack at present.

From what I know of Acres, he has no problem finding the pill, but I don't think he's the contested ball winning fiend that WC need. Would want as second round pick, but WC's first is likely overs.

Are his hands in close that good? Would you be happy taking him at our first/second round or prefer others?

Very good at colts level as he stands up in tackles and gets his hands free easily.

Of the WA boys id prefer Acres as a second round pick but doubt very much he'll be there. I'd be happy to have Cripps at the club for anything but a first round pick.

West Coast could do with some genuinely talented outside midfielders and flankers because apart from Gaff we're pretty poor in the department and even then Gaff isn't perfect as he's not tall, or quick. I don't think it should be our top priority but tall guys with leg speed and foot skills should be a commonly occurring draft aspiration irrespective of where they play.

Acres is great because he can rotate through the wings, flanks and through the centre square at colts level. Doesn't have genuine leg speed but is a great runner, strong mark and sublime decision maker. Could easily go top ten.

We have at least one midfielder coming at the end of next year.

I agree that WC need another quality OM to accompany Gaff, but it's not such a pressing need to the point that it needs to be sorted in this year's draft. There are bigger holes to fill.

I've always seen Acres as more of an outside player, hence not wanting WC to use a first round pick on him due to the great need for a quality IM or two.

It's a broad definition to say "midfield" nowadays, as it encompasses every differing midfield role. That's why I use "IM", "OM", "tagger"/"run-with" for clarity. What specifically is going to be Alec's role?

I think that WC should use both their first and second round picks on IM's this year. If WC are fairly sure they can grab a beast in Cripps with their second round selection, their first can go on someone not so big but has class and/or a standout feature to their game that brings something to the midfield that it lacks or is short of.
Sounds like Sheed and Cripps would fit the bill then.
Cripps the strong body and Sheed the classy inside/outside type.

If we could get our hands on some more 2nd round picks that would be very handy, because there seem to be a lot of likely midfield players of different sorts that we would have a lot of use with.

I agree that WC need another quality OM to accompany Gaff, but it's not such a pressing need to the point that it needs to be sorted in this year's draft. There are bigger hole's to fill.

I always saw Acres as more of an outside player, hence not wanting WC to use a first round pick on him due to the great need for a quality IM or two.

It's a broad definition to say "midfield" nowadays, as it encompasses every differing midfield role. That's why I use "IM", "OM", "tagger"/"run-with" for clarity. What specifically is going to be Alec's role?

I agree with the pressing need to find extractors. I look at Hawthorn and Geelong see they way they're playing football and look back at the list and see a problem more and more with our running brigade across the board. Everything between half back and half forward seems deficient when comparing lists, they're tall, they're fast and they use the ball well.

Getting some quality extractors (that have some offensive potency) will give us long term flexibility on where we rotate Shuey, Masten and Gaff. Instantly improving the depth and make us a more potent side.

If you had to draw a line you would consider Acres to be an outside midfielder, but he's very balanced in this respect.

Alec is an inside midfielder, he's more selective than Priddis and Kerr though. Where he settles at higher levels is anyone's guess.

If we could get our hands on some more 2nd round picks that would be very handy, because there seem to be a lot of likely midfield players of different sorts that we would have a lot of use with.

Or Robertson or Jansen (3rd Round if he's there).

Exactly what I had in mind in regards to the Sheed/Cripps combo.

We differ on Brown's worth to the side, but an extra second round pick is what I had in mind when wanting to trade him to St Kilda. The extra second rounder would've been handy. I don't see how WC would get another now. Jared Jansen is another midfielder that WC should be looking at. He's averaging 29.6 disposals at Colts level over 2012/13 seasons. At 188cm and 91kg, he's a beast.

Exactly what I had in mind in regards to the Sheed/Cripps combo.

We differ on Brown's worth to the side, but an extra second round pick is what I had in mind when wanting to trade him to St Kilda. The extra second rounder would've been handy. I don't see how WC would get another now. Jared Jansen is another midfielder that WC should be looking at. He's averaging 29.6 disposals at Colts level over 2012/13 seasons. At 188cm and 91kg, he's a beast.
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we have a third round compensation pick stashed away from somewhere (and it has to be activated this year?), in addition to the one we're getting for Lynch?
Something to work with at least. Could send a fringe want-away like (potentially) Ash Smith and a pick or two for an upgrade into the second round if we're lucky.

For all of the misgivings about Brown, trading him would be pretty much a nil-all draw once we brought in someone to replace him. If this is indeed Glass's last season that would have made it an even more difficult proposition.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee you blokes are bloody miserable

Scooter, Shuey, Masten, Gaff and Wellingham are the nucleus of a top rate midfield
they aren't our emerging mids,they are our mids.I guess cripps and newman would be our only other midfield prospects .I wouldn't put hams or razzle in the emerging category altho im a fan of razzles this year

From what I have read of cripps he is a bigger version of priddis . Inside beast but poor kick and very slow and I know how much people here rate priddis !

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we have a third round compensation pick stashed away from somewhere (and it has to be activated this year?), in addition to the one we're getting for Lynch?

Yes, the compensation pick is the one Collingwood received for Josh Fraser when he went to Gold Coast. We traded our third round pick in 2010 for it. The compensation picks teams received for losing uncontracted players to GC or GWS could be used over a 4 or 5 year period. I believe West Coast has to use this pick in 2014. It can be used in a trade.

The compensation pick received for Lynch as a free agent was used last year. Compensation picks after losing free agents have to be used in the that year.

Yes, the compensation pick is the one Collingwood received for Josh Fraser when he went to Gold Coast. We traded our third round pick in 2010 for it. The compensation picks teams received for losing uncontracted players to GC or GWS could be used over a 4 or 5 year period. I believe West Coast has to use this pick in 2014. It can be used in a trade.

The compensation pick received for Lynch as a free agent was used last year. Compensation picks after losing free agents have to be used in the that year.

We drafted Hutchings with it. So far he has shown a bit and I am hopeful that he develops into a very good player for us.

Which is one of the reasons I like Bontempelli. He seems to have most of the attributes that the Eagles need.
he doesn't seem to be in that top bracket in the phantom drafts but is talked about as potentially the best in the draft.Is it just his lack of exposure at senior level?I like the sound of him from what I have read

he doesn't seem to be in that top bracket in the phantom drafts but is talked about as potentially the best in the draft.Is it just his lack of exposure at senior level?I like the sound of him from what I have read

Pick 10-15 in most of the phantom drafts. Slightly later than the Eagles look as if they will be picking, but , like you I like the sound of him (and liked what I saw in the under 18 championships) so I think he could be a worthwhile first round pick for the Eagles.

If sheed is still there at our pick we should take him and run . Good inside and outside mid raking left foot , clean hands inside goes fwd and kicks goals ! Also has captain written all over him in the hodge mould , as in what he does on the field inspires his fellow team mates. Second pick outside mid with class . Acres if available or dwyane Wilson ! Then 3 rd + 3rd compo pick activated for best available mid and a utility ,maybe garlett . If we could package smith and 3 rd compo pick ( which is end of 3rd round) for a early 3rd pick we could have 4 picks in top 40 then upgrade bennell with 4th rounder. That would be 5 new players on senior list and a rookie .

From what I have read of cripps he is a bigger version of priddis . Inside beast but poor kick and very slow and I know how much people here rate priddis !

Cripps isnt slow at all and is above average kick to very good kick.
Cripps has burst speed of about 5 metres enough to break away from a contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back