Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Super-mega-ultrathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In order to bring in all this new blood we have to delist or trade out the same number of players (one more really if we are going to upgrade McGovern and keep Sinkers, Bennell and Tunbridge as rookies). We all have our "favourites" who we would like to delist but realistically who's going?
Niko, ASel, Newman and Embers would be my prime 4 to delist. Hams may be let go too. Cox will stay.
Glass to stay another year, Dazell, Smith another year? Kerry has another year to go.
Morto is on a 1 year deal - has he done enough?
This is a good draft and we might like to have more picks - how do we do that?

As long as it doesn't involve our first rounder (and obviously any core/required players) I'd be stoked to get Yarran.

Ash Smith for Yarran, get it done Woosh.

As if this would happen. I can't imagine Malthouse being too keen on Ash Smith!!!

We all have our "favourites" who we would like to delist but realistically who's going?
Niko, ASel, Newman and Embers would be my prime 4 to delist.
Nicoski - injury ends career
Adam Selwood - only adds game experience over rookies
Dick - can't get on the park
Tunbridge - don't think he can make the leap

If we go deeper:
Embley - unless he really gets his skill execution right, is starting to make too many mistakes
Glass - might be time to retire gracefully if his body can't handle it

This is a good draft and we might like to have more picks - how do we do that?
Use whatever trade bait we have. The issue is if you trade a player from the list, you would like to be sure the return is of greater value.

- Smith seems to have currency. Possibly package him with a 3rd or 4th for a 2nd round pick
- A lot of clubs would take Gaff, and he'd go home if it was put to him. The return would need to be large. An interesting one could be Conca and Richmond's first. It's a risky play but he's probably the best currency we have.

My guess is the club will still be in premiership mode and will be reluctant to let former stars go, or be aggressive in trade week.

Much will depend on retirements and how many draft picks we'd want to take.

Kerr - Possible retirement. Contracted so I think he'll play on.
Nicoski - Probable retirement. Hasn't played at AFL level for 2 years.
Dalziell - Possible delisting. Has probably done enough this season to be kept.
Cox - Possible retirement but it looks like he'll get a new one year deal.
Glass - Possible retirement. Playing well enough to keep going. I think he will keep playing.
Embley - Possible retirement. Hasn't had a consistent run because of injury and suspension. The last 5 weeks may decide his future. If he stays he is purely a depth player.
Newman - Possible delisting. Unquestionable talent but may have issues with application and discipline. Obviously has an upcoming legal matter that could decide his future. If he stays, it may be that he is redrafted to the rookie list.
A. Selwood - Possible retirement. Looks as though his body is struggling.
Dick - Probable delisting. Has had trouble staying fit and has barely played at AFL level for 4 seasons.
Morton - Possible delisting. Actually has a quality we lack in good skills. I think he gets at least another season.
Hams - Possible delisting. Not sure of his contractual status. Just an average player at AFL level.

Guys like Smith and Butler are contracted so they would need to be traded. Smith may have some currency, Butler won't.

None of our rookies are really pushing for permanent promotion. Rookies can be traded, so this is another option.

Sinclair - Was solid when he got an opportunity. We probably don't need 4 ruckmen on the senior list. However, interest from other teams may mean we need to promote Sinclair so he stays.
McGovern - Has shown flashes but injury has hurt him this season. Has he done enough? He will need to be promoted to the senior list or delisted and redrafted.
Bennell - His form in the seniors for Swans has been good since returning from injury. Being a small defender, he is the type of player we are looking for so he could get promoted.
Tunbridge - Got an opportunity against Essendon but it was limited. I think he'll be kept on the rookie list for another season.

If I was to predict what will happen.

Out - Nicoski (retire), Embley (retire), A. Selwood (retire), Newman (delist), Dick (delist), Hams (delist).
In - McGovern (rookie promotion), Bennell (rookie promotion), 4 draft picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If I was to predict what will happen.

Out - Nicoski (retire), Embley (retire), A. Selwood (retire), Newman (delist), Dick (delist), Hams (delist).
In - McGovern (rookie promotion), Bennell (rookie promotion), 4 draft picks.

Correct me if i'm wrong but don't all drafties get at least a 2 year contract. Dick was drafted last year off the rookie list so wouldn't he have 1 more year left?? I think McGovern will be delisted.

Do afl lists have max of 4 or 5 rookies?

Correct me if i'm wrong but don't all drafties get at least a 2 year contract. Dick was drafted last year off the rookie list so wouldn't he have 1 more year left?? I think McGovern will be delisted.

Draftees do get at least 2 years but players promoted from the rookie list do not.

I doubt it. McGovern is on an early off season.

I hope we give both Dick and Morton one more year. I reckon Cale is showing signs of improvement and I just think one more pre season might be the tonic for Dick (I know we say that every year) but he is the one person who can improve our forward line again with his pure crumbling ability.

Ive always thought he was a pretty good user of the ball. Hes better than Selwood and Priddis at the least. Anyone else have thoughts on Wellinghams footskills?

Who would be our best midfield kick? Im tempted to say Masten, he can drill passes but he can spray kicks sometimes under pressure
Shuey EASY you cant tell if he is a left or right footer. Who else can you say does that at the Eagles.

Shuey's field kicking is a bit better than masten's. Can do it on both sides and sprays less of them. Although masten is a better shot for goal on the run/snap, but shuey is a better set shot.
Shuey has been wayward this year but the last 2 he was sloting them from everywhere. What happened?

Umm, anyone think we could make a play at a few of Geelong's depth players.

Horlin-Smith strikes me as someone we could make a play for. Doesn't get a lot of game time and his performances warrant a look in. Also, Jesse Stringer's someone who has shown a bit without continuity of game time.

They're possibly quite cheap, are decent players in exceptional systems, so that's why I ask, no other reason.

EDIT: Scratch that, both are under contract. Schroeder, Murdoch and Bews are probably worth looking at though.

I think varcoe should be the one from Geelong to have a look at. Not as important there with the emergence of Motlop, so he could be on the table. More suited to our needs and cheaper than a yarren also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back