Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The downgrading of pick 6 has introduced a fair degree of risk in relation to our first pick, with the (apparently) sole goal of securing Yeo.

SO WHY ISN'T THE YEO DEAL DONE YET?!

We're either gonna come out of this looking like geniuses or idiots.

It's Brisbane holding up the deal. They have agreed in principal to a round two for Yeo deal. They are waiting on Polec. They may be holding out for picks 28 and 31 for Yeo and pick 29. Just waiting to see if they still have pick 29. If not then its pick 31 for Yeo.

Enjoyed the Sheed highlights, interested to see his kick on the right foot was pretty good. As far as the Yeo trade is concerned, I am interested that Brisbane have not gone after anyone in the trade period to replace all they lost with not only the guys going home but of course Black retiring. Would they be interested in Rosa or even the return of Dalzeil?

Enjoyed the Sheed highlights, interested to see his kick on the right foot was pretty good. As far as the Yeo trade is concerned, I am interested that Brisbane have not gone after anyone in the trade period to replace all they lost with not only the guys going home but of course Black retiring. Would they be interested in Rosa or even the return of Dalzeil?

The return of Dalziell.....

Now you're just being mean! They're doing it tough enough already :)

I'm not happy that we seem to 'lock in' players for picks so early, but considering we do, the trade makes total sense. I will judge the success of it on who we get with the second rounder we don't trade away. A hidden gem there would make it a great result.

Terry Wallace was on 5AA at 4-30ish and made an interesting point about the WCE deal.

He said seeing as the WCE, Brisbane and Collingwood were involved in the 3 way trade and the new draft order is

6 Collingwood
7 Brisbane
8 North - locked in with a father son pick
9 Melbourne
10 Collingwood
11 West Coast

Then a gentleman's agreement could have been made about Sheed that Collingwood won't pick him at 6 or 10, Brisbane wont risk another WA kid with 7, 8 is locked in for North with them taking Mcdonald's son. That leaves Melbourne but they might be confident Melbourne wants another player other than Sheed and that Collingwood and Brisbane don't want that player either.

Stephen Rowe went on about that's draft tampering and Tippett, but Wallace said a player hadn't been part of it and that you would be surprised what is discussed at trade talk and what deals are locked in and as long as no one talks, the AFL will never find out.

It was Callum Twomey that schooled him here.

He has no idea about list needs by his own reasoning.

The return of Dalziell.....

Now you're just being mean! They're doing it tough enough already :)

Like your sense of humour there.

ping.php

Wont we have won as soon as we land Yeo while still having a second round pick?

Perhaps. It would winning have been playing hard ball with Brisbane and running the risk of Yeo falling to the psd/nd? I can't see Brisbane going for nothing.

If the intention was to use the second rounder to get Yeo then Brisbane should have been in the deal thus mitigating our risk and ensuring our intention to trade with Collingwood netted our intended result of getting Yeo. It blows my mind that we didn't do this. Especially since apparently we instigated the trade. Like wtf?

Also we should have got pick 10. The gentlemen's agreement could have been the other way round. We might very well have asked for 10 and caved like a bitch when Collingwood said 11 or nothing.

I don't think we have put ourselves in a totally horrible situation, however it appears from the outside that we could have done a lot better.

I am also a firm believer that at the top end of rd1 you draft the best available and we will be kicking ourselves if someone like Aish drops to 6.

I remember the late great Wally Foreman suggesting it was his opinion that Terry Wallace was a "bit of a fraud" and more "style than substance"....

I always remember it because at the time most viewed Wallace as a star coach/commentator/expert and the way Wally explained it struck a chord.

Time has proved Wally 100% correct.

Fair enough Twoney is good to follow. Just passing on the message of why the deal might have been done the way it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plough's a good a game-day motivator, but outside of that context he doesn't really offer a hell of a lot.

Fairly certain the club wanted another pick in the second round so we can recruit two midfielders which is a strategy i'm okay with.

Even if the Yeo trade falls through although highly unlikely, it would not be a huge loss as I think there is enough talent in this years draft anyway.

I'm starting to lean towards wanting Acres as pick 11. Would be happy with either though.

Would be nice if we could some how work our way into a late first round pick and get them both but can't see what we can offer up that would get us there.

Just read the write up on Acres in the Draft Forum, he sounds like just the midfielder we need. Taller, good decision maker and skilful both sides of his body.

Could Sheed be a smoke screen and Acres is the player we are really keen on?o_O

Either way one of Sheed or Acres are two mids we would be happy to land.

Watched the Cripps highlights today, another bigger bodied mid and from the looks will be available mid second round.:thumbsu:

Not liking the silence from the West Coast media team re this 6 for 11 trade.

I know it's not particularly exciting news, but it would be nice to see something from the club as to their reasoning.

I also feel uneasy about this 'gentleman's agreement' that is assumed to be part of the deal. I hope it doesn't exist because it's draft tampering, plain and simple. Aside from feeling my club would have cheated, the AFL has been cracking down lately on highly subjective transgressions (ie tanking & resting fit players). No reason why they couldn't step in here if something is amiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I know it's not particularly exciting news, but it would be nice to see something from the club as to their reasoning.

I also feel uneasy about this 'gentleman's agreement' that is assumed to be part of the deal. I hope it doesn't exist because it's draft tampering, plain and simple. Aside from feeling my club would have cheated, the AFL has been cracking down lately on highly subjective transgressions (ie tanking & resting fit players). No reason why they couldn't step in here if something is amiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I don't know they are necessarily going to, would essentially be advertising our drafting strategy, Im happy for them to keep quiet now and justify it post draft if at all

Is it really draft tampering? Saying you have no interest in certain players isn't going to change the order of the draft, all you're doing is letting people know your intentions ahead of draft day. I can't see how that is illegal.

I remember the late great Wally Foreman suggesting it was his opinion that Terry Wallace was a "bit of a fraud" and more "style than substance"....

I always remember it because at the time most viewed Wallace as a star coach/commentator/expert and the way Wally explained it struck a chord.

Time has proved Wally 100% correct.

Wallace has all manner of out clauses for his manifold f*ck-ups as a coach who oversaw some ordinary recruiting decisions but he looks a little nervous here when his fingerprints are all over this draft.

Will be very interesting to track Wallace's talent spotting capabilities because he certainly never gets the weight right when it comes to trade discussions.

Always takes his whining to another plane when trades transpire. Looks as genuinely shocked as Gary Glitter.

why didnt we trade pick 28 and pick 6 for 10 and 11? why did we get 11 and not 10? what if collingwood draft Sheed at 10? why do we always get bent over? are we gay? bloody hell we have no clue on trading, no clue, who trades pick 6 for pick 11 and 31, idiots! Collingwood is the worst team to trade with. This trade will haunt us, just watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back