Mega Thread Delist/Trade/Draft Supermegaultrathread - Trade Period Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm hoping brisbane are too scared Sheed may potentially leave after 2 years to consider him or any west australian

Terry Wallace was on 5AA at 4-30ish and made an interesting point about the WCE deal.

He said seeing as the WCE, Brisbane and Collingwood were involved in the 3 way trade and the new draft order is

6 Collingwood
7 Brisbane
8 North - locked in with a father son pick
9 Melbourne
10 Collingwood
11 West Coast

Then a gentleman's agreement could have been made about Sheed that Collingwood won't pick him at 6 or 10, Brisbane wont risk another WA kid with 7, 8 is locked in for North with them taking Mcdonald's son. That leaves Melbourne but they might be confident Melbourne wants another player other than Sheed and that Collingwood and Brisbane don't want that player either.

Stephen Rowe went on about that's draft tampering and Tippett, but Wallace said a player hadn't been part of it and that you would be surprised what is discussed at trade talk and what deals are locked in and as long as no one talks, the AFL will never find out.

I keep hearing pick 6 for sheed is overs as his predicted to go 10-20 ! We then do a trade that will hopefully result in sheed and yeo for pick 6 ! Why are people pissed off , cos there may be a slider ! The only blokes that will slide to pick 6 are Kelly Billings and scharnberge and they don't fit our apparent draft needs! The question is what do we do with our second !

Didn't we approach Collingwood to make the trade?

The question is why, given that we still haven't passed the second pick on for Yeo.

It should have been a three way deal involving Brisbane to ensure that we got exactly what we wanted (I.e. Yeo).

Then a gentleman's agreement could have been made about Sheed that Collingwood won't pick him at 6 or 10, Brisbane wont risk another WA kid with 7, 8 is locked in for North with them taking Mcdonald's son. That leaves Melbourne but they might be confident Melbourne wants another player other than Sheed and that Collingwood and Brisbane don't want that player either.

Stephen Rowe went on about that's draft tampering and Tippett, but Wallace said a player hadn't been part of it and that you would be surprised what is discussed at trade talk and what deals are locked in and as long as no one talks, the AFL will never find out.

Brisbane currently have 3 Victorians, a South Australian and a Western Australian leaving. Don't think drafting on the basis of state is going to do us much good. Kolodjashnij would be the one without the risk I guess, but I have a feeling GC take him at 5.

For Collingwood, Brisbane, and Melbourne, that is an outside mid or utility. For us, we want the inside mid.

We actually have a greater need for an inside mid I reckon. Rockliff, Rich, Redden and Mayes aren't naturally inside ball winners, and do their better work outside (especially Mayes). Our two best ball winners on our list this year were Moloney and Black. Moloney is 30 when the season starts and Black has retired. Wouldn't be surprised if we were linked heavily to Crouch leading up to the draft.

I keep hearing pick 6 for sheed is overs as his predicted to go 10-20 ! We then do a trade that will hopefully result in sheed and yeo for pick 6 ! Why are people pissed off , cos there may be a slider ! The only blokes that will slide to pick 6 are Kelly Billings and scharnberge and they don't fit our apparent draft needs! The question is what do we do with our second !

You are an enthusiastic fellow aren't you? Lots of these !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, I want to be optimistic too, but too much faith has been put in 'gentleman agreements' ;)

Terry Wallace was on 5AA at 4-30ish and made an interesting point about the WCE deal.

He said seeing as the WCE, Brisbane and Collingwood were involved in the 3 way trade and the new draft order is

6 Collingwood
7 Brisbane
8 North - locked in with a father son pick
9 Melbourne
10 Collingwood
11 West Coast

Is it draft tampering to say you won't take a particular player?

We actually have a greater need for an inside mid I reckon. Rockliff, Rich, Redden and Mayes aren't naturally inside ball winners, and do their better work outside (especially Mayes). Our two best ball winners on our list this year were Moloney and Black. Moloney is 30 when the season starts and Black has retired. Wouldn't be surprised if we were linked heavily to Crouch leading up to the draft.

So, IYO, is it more of an extractor you guys are after?

Is it draft tampering to say you won't take a particular player?

Don't know. Rowe threw it in because he has Tippett paranoia.

What I found interesting was that Wallace admitted side deals are done to allow certain players get to certain clubs. He's been in those rooms where discussions have happened. Whilst i said in my previous post that Brisbane wont take another WA kid, Wallace meant they wont take Sheed - if its all part of the deal of course.

Don't know. Rowe threw it in because he has Tippett paranoia.

What I found interesting was that Wallace admitted side deals are done to allow certain players get to certain clubs. He's been in those rooms where discussions have happened. Whilst i said in my previous post that Brisbane wont take another WA kid, Wallace meant they wont take Sheed - if its all part of the deal of course.

Thanks for your insight dude, I think you've lowered the blood pressure of a few Eagles BF posters if what Wallace said was true :thumbsu:

The sad part is that if we end up getting Sheed or whoever it is we want at pick #11 it's a very good trade for us, IN ISOLATION.

However fact is it appears that Collingwood dictated the the terms and while we POSSIBLY win from this trade it looks like the Pies have already massively won.

We seriously lack balls.
Trades don't have to be win-lose.

Does it even matter if it is in writing? Draft tampering would be draft tampering whether it is in writing or orally agreed, I would have thought.

The crime is the same - but it is a lot harder to prove if there isn't evidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for your insight dude, I think you've lowered the blood pressure of a few Eagles BF posters if what Wallace said was true :thumbsu:

Its why I posted here because I didn't understand the deal when I saw it and thought something else might have to be involved. I heard you guys weren't happy and figured unless you were a WCE supporter and heard Wallace talk about WCE on trade radio,(I listened for 10 minutes this arvo then they started on Essendon and had to turn it off but WCE and WB summaries followed that) or lived in SA and heard him of 5AA, then you would be left wondering what's going on, like I was a few hours earlier.

If what Wallace said is right - your officials are not going to come out and say what Wallace said, for fear of getting a whack from the AFL.

Good luck with the deal guys.

Elliot Yeo will be a very good player for you guys. I would have given pick 31 up for him in a heartbeat of he was prepared to move to Melbourne.

Win-win all round.

Nah, surely the deal with Collingwood wouldn't have gone ahead without an agreement with the Lions that 31 would be enough. If the Lions lied/changed their mind, we'd just about have grounds to sue you'd think.

I wouldn't stress.

Question:

Is making this statement

"All the kids between 5 and 15 (ish) are similar talent's and so downgrading our pick is not a big deal"

A cop out for a person whose job it is to sort out exactly who the best kid is?

I don't know if it's a cop out, but it's BS, as far as I'm concerned. When we look back at the draft in 5 years time, there will be a huge variety in the output of the draftees taken from pick 5 - 15. It's easy to be wise in hindsight, but these blokes are being paid to get these decisions right.

The more i think about it i think we are doing the right thing about keeping our 2nd round pick and getting Yeo.

Heaps of players we could try:

Garlett
Robertson
Cripps
Jensen
Marsh
Jay Kennedy Harris

That's probably my order of preference aswell, maybe Marsh ahead of Jansen.

There is a fair bit of WA talent tipped to go around that area of the draft, which is great. Not out of bias, but because they all pretty much would address a weakness at WC (height, speed, or both).

Robertson has skills and pace to burn, and is a beast in the contest. If Garlett is gone I hope we pounce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back