List Mgmt. Delisting and drafting is almost as fun as trading: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did i see someone wrote up about jackson nelson getting a few games as a defensive mid?
I remembering him getting sent to Rocky one game and keeping him quiet. At the end of his first year he spent a bit of WAFL time in the middle and racked up the ball, don't think it was in a defensive capacity though. Club mustn't see that as where his strengths lie though, nothing like that recently.

If
Todays West:
Vozzo said the Cats had not made it clear what they were keen for in a potential Kelly deal.

“Tim’s expressed a pretty solid interest to get back to Perth and play for us,” Vozzo said.

“So we’re pursuing that as hard as we can. We’ve got a bit of work to do with Geelong.

“They haven’t actually told us (what they want), other than what we’ve read in the paper.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/west-c...d-in-a-potential-tim-kelly-deal-ng-b88990114z
they should come out and say they want Mutimer.

It's amusing that Geelong fans don't think the Cats have placed a foot wrong, despite that fact that they have a player who wants to leave after just one season. I've read a lot of Cats fans write that Kelly gave them a decent indication he wouldn't mind playing there, but the proof is in the pudding to a degree. To me, Geelong have missed on a draft pick - it doesn't matter that TK is a good player, it means nought if he doesn't want to play for you.

To that end, what doesn't sit well with me is that Geelong don't just want to be made whole after a drafting error - they want a premium. If the shoe was on the other foot, we'd be trading away our homesick youngster for cents on the dollar and chalking it up as a missed pick. To a large degree this happened with Ebert.

I also hope our recruiters are happier to walk away from this trade than our fans seem to be. TK will be on our list eventually and if he's not here in 2019 he can take a spot on Geelong's list and develop there, while we use the extra slot to take a look at another youngster. It doesn't hurt to have TK on loan, as such.

Finally, I kind of wonder if Kelly is just the flavour of the year. Yes, he's had one good season, but if you go back 12 months, SPP was the guy we missed out on and we had to do whatever it takes to erase that error. 12 months later and SPP isn't on our radar.

As much as Geelong fans would like Kelly to stay for 12 months in the hope that he changes his mind in that time, we might be better served waiting 12 months to see if his value holds. Maybe in a year he's not such a priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong want him for one more year because they still believe they can win a flag before their best retire
Also the fact that they have a top 2 B and F player sitting on rookie salary for another year. They’ll let him go without a fight as soon as the 2019 trade period opens

Scully will be a salary dump to hawks for cheap . Scully is a mercenary so GWS wont care .
Hawks could be trading one of their best young talents in burton for a lazy wingard . Baffles the mind if they do that
Scully signed in for 500k apparently to keep GWS together and Hawks offered more. Wingard wanted 1m, can't imagine he'd drop to 600k!

Geelong want him for one more year because they still believe they can win a flag before their best retire

:thumbsu::thumbsu:
Exactly that proposition has been made on Melbourne radio a number of time by Dwayne Russell a resident of Sleepy Hollow.

Bradd Dalziell played the final 7 games of his debut season, averaging 26 touches a game. The following year he played 8 games, his output was reduced and that was the end of his time with the Lions. Barely got a game with us over a 4 year period and never reached the heights of his first season.

Byron Schammer polled 12 Brownlow votes in his second season with the Dockers, 1 behind Paul Hasleby who was their #1 that year. He polled in 3 further games in the next 7 years.

Des Headland polled 16 Brownlow votes in his 3rd season. 19 touches a game (equivalent to low to mid 20s in today's footy) and 34 goals for the year. Was not even 5th banana in that midfield and moved to Freo. He was OK for a season or two with Freo then his career just sort of petered out into nothing.

If you want to go further back...

Craig Turley aged 26 (3rd season) was runner up in the Brownlow, B&F winner in a dominant side and AA. Was 9th in the B&F in 1992 then didn't do a great deal after that.

Tim Kelly isn't a sure thing. He could replicate his 2018 form for 5 years, he could get better with more time in the AFL system, and he could drop off.

If Nelson goes who can move to defence? Leaves us with no depth. Not that Kelly isn’t worth it.

Sheppard Barrass Cole
Hurn McGovern Duggan

Schofield, Mr 23rd man
Jetta, floats around spots in the 22
Yeo, AA HB we prefer not to use there

Could easily try one of our young forwards in defence (Brander/Allen) or play Venables there to get him a bit more involved a la Duggan who was battling as a mid.

If Nelson goes who can move to defence? Leaves us with no depth. Not that Kelly isn’t worth it.

Schofield is defensive depth (replaced Sheppard), Oscar Allen can play defense, and we still have Francis Watson. Not sure if Rotham can play small or not.

Sheppard Barrass Cole
Hurn McGovern Duggan

Schofield, Mr 23rd man

Could easily try one of our young forwards in defence (Brander/Allen) or play Venables there to get him a bit more involved a la Duggan who was battling as a mid.

I suppose we have 5 good small/medium defenders. 2 are old. After that it’s Watson or Rotham. Or get someone to change position.

Schofield is defensive depth (replaced Sheppard), Oscar Allen can play defense, and we still have Francis Watson. Not sure if Rotham can play small or not.

It’s not much depth for smaller defenders. For talls we are laughing. But we would make do for a year and then recruit one if we needed.

I suppose we have 5 good small/medium defenders. 2 are old. After that it’s Watson or Rotham. Or get someone to change position.

It’s not much depth for smaller defenders. For talls we are laughing. But we would make do for a year and then recruit one if we needed.

I think we'll be looking to recruit a smaller running defender or two in the draft this year or next year.

Sheppard Barrass Cole
Hurn McGovern Duggan

Schofield, Mr 23rd man

Don't forget Watson. He was emergency a couple of times iirc, so the club rate him.
I hope he gets a few games in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back