Do we need to recruit some tough guys in the next draft ?

Remove this Banner Ad

It depends what you mean by "tough".

Carlton are a bit on the precious side at the moment 'me thinks', the balance is tipped in favour of passive-aggressive types and Mr Nice-Guys. However, you don't go recruiting just to counter-balance one attribute or you run the risk of turning a blind-eye to other issues.

I could not disagree with this more. I'm sorry but this is just the opposite of the truth.

Toughness or hardness at the ball and the contest is something a player has or does not have...It is obvious when a player has it and when one doesn't. I believe it is actually the one side of someones game that cannot be adjusted ie. skills can be honed, fitness can be worked on etc. but it think that it is one thing that is instrinsic to a player and can be trained minimally if at all to be done better.

I'm not trying to put you or your opinion down but it seems like a view of someone who probably hasn't been that involved in football apart from viewing afl.... again not trying to be personal.

Spot on like sump through a colander. :thumbsu:

No you do not, you have Ryan Houlihan

You registered to post this? Please PM me before your next expose in case I need to cancel dinner out or postpone lifesaving surgical procedures. Can't wait for your next contribution. :thumbsu:

OP totally lost me when he nominated Jordan Lewis as a 'tough guy'.

112% of his posessions are uncontested. Making angry faces doesn't make you a tough guy.

The point is he's a big strong body.

Like I've made clear, I'm not saying we don't have hard players who go hard at the ball. I just think we lack a couple of Hammill/Fraser Brown who can fair-dinkum severely smash some opposition players.

You're right we don't have any Hammil/Fraser types anymore, who can smash opposition players....but I'm not convinced that we need them...the game has changed a lot since those guys were runnign around in Navy Blue.

Look at Geelong. There's not a single weedy player that I've noticed in their side. They break tackles and hold their feet much better than any other team in the comp.

Carlton, on the other hand, has a lot of undersized players that need to stack on some more kilos. So I guess I agree that we could do with some more beefcake types in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look at Geelong. There's not a single weedy player that I've noticed in their side. They break tackles and hold their feet much better than any other team in the comp.

Carlton, on the other hand, has a lot of undersized players that need to stack on some more kilos. So I guess I agree that we could do with some more beefcake types in the team.

Alot is stretching it, yes we have a FEW but we are also alot younger as a group than clubs like Geelong, who are alot more developed as a group than we are. Toughness is being taken out of the game with all the rule changes.

Hawthorn are younger than Carlton...they just won a flag.
They draft players who can win their own footy, and kick well. They also overdrafted for KPP in the hope a few of them will cut it.

Hopefully Wayne Hughes remembers this when he sizes up our next 6'1 running outside flanker who cant kick!!!

GO BLUES :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Do we need to recruit some tough guys in the next draft ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back