Do you follow the same team as your parents?

Remove this Banner Ad

Quick quizz, is your team the same as that of your parents?

(Mine were both Collingwood, as are all three of my sisters)

(Use parents or best substitute, eg if you were raised by a couple other than your parents, and they were better guardians to you, choose them. If you only really had one parent, use that parent as all or nothing. If you don't know who a parent barracked for, assume it wasn't the same team.)

My Dad is the reason my brother and I follow Geelong, my Mum supports Geelong as well but only because the rest of us do.

The women in our family barracked for Carlton and the men Collingwood, giving me the impression that the men tried to marry into middle or upper middle class ......... smart thinking me thinks. :D

Good thread.

My mum has been supporting Hawthorn for as long as I can remember, I thank her for getting me into watching Aussie Rules.

My dad is a Brisbane supporter has been for ages as well, but he does have a soft spot for Carlton ;)

My parents don't follow the footy but are happy for me if the Saints do well.

The old man has a few observations on footy that he finds amusing, one being that when a forward does something good he gets a pat on the back or rump and a drink, not unlike the dog.
and you get a score that you are disappointed with for missing what you were actually aiming at.

Dad barracks for richmond but he started out going for geelong because he grew up there but got sick of everyone following the same team then he went for south melbourne til he chose richmond which he's stuck to for the last 30 years. He started taking me to richmond games when I was 5 years old, before mum could turn me into a carlton supporter. :D

Parents, grand parents, cousins, aunties, uncles, wife, kids et al are/were all bulldogs. Except for a couple of blow ins when some of the rello's insisted on marrying outside the faith.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mum's side all Port Adelaide (except the Fitzroy influenced branch caused by my uncle, who seem to be being Portised now), and my Dad grew up in NSW.

Dad's American and isn't interested in any sports much, Mum doesn't really follow anyone but used to go to watch Paul Sarah at Kardinia when she was at uni in Geelong in the 70s.

I would probably be a Richmond supporter if my Tiger-mad gradfather hadn't died before I was old enough to be indoctrinated.

My maternal great grandparents were North, my maternal grand-parents were North, my parents are North, my generation are all North, and the next generation are North as well.

Sure, people have married into the family and may have barracked for other teams, but they ended up coming to North games - and barracking for them..

Originally posted by Mobbenfuhrer
Quick quizz, is your team the same as that of your parents?

(Mine were both Collingwood, as are all three of my sisters)

(Use parents or best substitute, eg if you were raised by a couple other than your parents, and they were better guardians to you, choose them. If you only really had one parent, use that parent as all or nothing. If you don't know who a parent barracked for, assume it wasn't the same team.)
My folks are Bomber supporters. I'm a Hawthorn supporter.

Good topic.

Mum is mad Hawthorn, Dad is Melbourne. They didn't talk for 3 days after the 1987 Preliminary Final (true story).

As my Mum is more of a supporter than Dad my sister and I became Hawthorn supporters from a young age, and became members.

Eventually the old man got sick of been left out so he started coming out to Waverley each week - but we made him sit in the public section whilst we sat in the members!

Soon he got tired of this and became a proud, passionate and paid up Hawthorn member, despite been a Melbourne supporter!

My fathers side of the family all come from Geelong and all barrack for the Cats. My mothers side of the family have never been interested in footy, but now my mum is a Geelong fan also.

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you follow the same team as your parents?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back