Do you follow the same team as your parents?

Remove this Banner Ad

When I started following football in 1989 my mum didn't really give a stuff about the footy & my dad was a Glenelg supporter cos that's where he used to live, plus one of our relatives used to play for Glenelg. I chose to follow Port cos one of my friends at school was a Port supporter. I've also managed to convert my dad into being a Port supporter & my mum's become a Port supporter as well since she always used to watch the games with me when I lived at home.

Everyone in my family barracked for the tigers, and when I showed some interest in the blues they said were either going to adopt me out or break both my legs, so I am now a dedicated tiger fan.

Originally posted by chemical
my parents followed collingwood passionatly.....i backstabbed them and went for the blues!

I am guessing your parents have disowned you, same as Blues parents would disown their kid if they went for the Pies. :eek:

Mum and Dad from SA originally, Mum Sturt, Dad Port. Mum never followed a VFL team, though Dad was always a Carlton supporter.

Initially, I followed Carlton when I first discovered footy, cos Dad did, and he probably encouraged it, or at the very least hoped.

My 'conversion' to footy came in the 70's and after developing a liking for North Melbourne, I decided that I would barrack for whoever won the next game between the Roos and Blues. This game was played in 1976 at Princes Park (I think) and it just so happened that a certain M.Blight kicked a goal after the siren to win it for the Roos!! :D (Not that I wanted it any other way!!)

my brother an i both go for collingwood, my dad and his whole family go for collingwood, aunts uncles cousins, the whole lot of them except one 10 year old who somehow has become a hawthorn supporter despite 4 other pie brothers....
my mum didnt really follow footy but now she has no choice.

Originally posted by helen20
my brother an i both go for collingwood, my dad and his whole family go for collingwood, aunts uncles cousins, the whole lot of them except one 10 year old who somehow has become a hawthorn supporter despite 4 other pie brothers....

lol, what happened to him??

I'm the only one in my generation in my extended family (on my father's side) to support Collingwood. Only my uncle in the generation prior to mine was Collingwood. Everyone was Collingwood except my grandmother in the next generation, who is Geelong. My grandmother tried to weed out the Magpies in the family and get them all supporting Geelong. My dad (Essendon) and my uncle (Collingwood) rebelled. The rest followed their mother. Their father didn't give two hoots about the footy, he loved his races.

My mothers side is pretty much the Martyn family. She is North. Her mother (who is Skinny Martyn's sister) and her siblings are all North. Her husband lived in Flemington and played for North thirds, so he is North. My brothers are North. My cousins are North. My uncle, my second cousins, etc. It's all North. Sad really. Anyway, Mick's move to Carlton might have changed things but no. As they all say, they follow "North and Mick".

Me? I am Collingwood. And I am proud to say there is not one Carlton supporter to taint my family.

Funnily enough all my recent girlfreinds have been Collingwood fans, excluded one nighters of course. Two of them are just bandwagoners though. Doesn't worry me though, I plan on breeding an army of Magpies.

My parents were League supporters so I was the one that had to do the conversions!

Once I estabilished Richmond as my team, I got working on the folks so they'd never dare follow any other team now.

Dad is passionate Norwood, hates Port Magpies, and still won't talk about that 'fake, victorian crap'. I have taken him to Footy Park a few times for the Crows, but his hearts not in it. He is a true suburban footy man. Mum comes along, cos it's a family thing, and she enjoys Friday Night Footy at the Parade (we have dinner at a cafe first), and she is happy when we are happy, but she is not really into it. I would say Mum and Dad are nominal Crows fans.

As eldest of the three boys, it was my job to ensure I supported Dad in getting the other two into the Redleg fold. The middle one had a fling with West Torrens, but came home after he realised that a 12 year old has sod all chance of seeing them when Dad is only going to take him to two games (v Norwood!). Overall, mission successful.

I am Crows, as is the middle one. We both have Gold Memberships at Footy Park, and I also have a Victorian Membership.

The youngest one went Port Power. When I and my middle brother left the state to join the Navy, we left the young one in the hands of his mates, not the family (footy wise). I guess I blame myself for not being there! Bloody hell, there can't be that many Norwood fans that can bring themselves to follow Port Power...could there? He'll go to Alberton/Adelaide Oval, stand with his Maggie mates, with his 'Legs scarf on, laughing and cheering as we belt them silly, but as soon as the convo turns to Power........geez it's frustrating. "why I aughta...POW, right in the kisser!":D:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a good thread (certainly much better than many of the others here of late!!).

My dad is a Swans supporter and has been since the late 1930s (mum doesn't really follow footy). His mum and dad were also Swans supporters. My cousin is a mad keen Swans supporter also.

Under these circumstances, I had no choice!! :)

orright - seeing the other thread had gone (and with it my response), I'll post again!

Me - Freo
Husband - Freo
Daughter (9) - Freo
Son (7) - Freo
Daughter (4) - Freo

Peace and harmony in the house! :D

My Dad used to be a full-on Melbourne supporter, though his interest in footy has been wanning the last 5 years or so, not the game he grew up with, I guess. We have photos of my and my twin in "I'm a Little Demon" bibs, though maybe oit was more to do with our behaviour than our team of choice! ; )
His dad was passionate South Melbourne, he was in attendance for Souths only finals apperance after the war as South, in 1970. He passed away shortly after the Sydney move, when I was in nappies, but Dad tells me he hated it.
On my other side, Mum has never really been a footy supporter, as a kid I think she followed the Saints because of her father, who is a Saints supporter. I've only met him a few times, he lives interstate, so I have no idea if he still follows the team, we never discussed the footy.
My real Grandfatherly-type figure was a passionate Cats man.
My twin brother is almost as passionate a Sainter as I am, and my younger brother is nominally a Demon, but he really dosen't seem to be interested in footy that much.

My whole family supports the Power.
the only difference is my dad supports the Crows as his second team where as i would love to seem them soundly thrashed each week.

My entire family jumped on the Eagles wagon in 1987 and have never hopped off.

However the rest of my family were Claremont supporters in the WAFL whereas I have always supported East Perth (oddly enough my Dad played ressies at East Perth).

Prior to the Eagles we all had a VFL club we liked (except my Mum, who oddly enough is the only member of the family to have ever lived in Melbourne). I followed Essendon (after a disgraceful period of Pie interest when I was too young to know better). My Dad and one of my brothers went for Carlton, and my youngest brother claims he was a Hawthorn supporter. Can't say as anyone was that passionate though...

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you follow the same team as your parents?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back