Remove this Banner Ad

wooshta_9

All Australian
Suspended
Sep 10, 2003
Waikerie S.A
Other Teams
Fremantle
I know its probably to early to sart a thread like this but i thogh i might anyway.

These thre are out of contract at the end of next year and are all from Wa whcih onr do you think the Dockers have the best chance of luring to the team next year.

Simon Black has won 3 flags, a Brownlow, a Norm Smith. He isn't going anywhere.

Mark Coughlan won't go anywhere for a little while yet, Richmond will do everything they can to keep him. A lot depends on how Richmond perform in the near future.

Josh Carr... If Port's finals campaign breaks down again, then perhaps Stevens won't be the only Port midfielder with home sickness.

• Banned
Just to explani the reason hat i think these thre are a chance to go back home.

Black - can brisbane pay him enough, they're about to loose Copland cause he wants more money so how are they gonna pay Black

Coughlan - once again it all depends on money, at the moment i think he is on a rokies wage so that will rise quite a lot, and with Brown and possibly Copeland on there way down there have they got enough room in the salary cap.

Carr - my main reason is the we have his brother Matthew and everone wants to play with their brothers these days.

I would have thought the player with the best chance of coming home would be Carr, although I think the chances are still slim unless we finish in the bottom 2 or 3 next season.

But it still doesn't do any harm in driving up their prices for the existing clubs to have to pay. I'm sure if we offered Coughlan $700k a year Richmond would automatically match it. ;)

E) Paul Barnard

Believe it or not, it doesn't all come down to money. Why would Black want to leave Brisbane after everything that's happened? Not going to happen.

Coughlan will be the Tigers next Captain and will undoubtedly get paid quite handsomely.

Carr I dont know about, but is hardly in the class of the other two players and - whilst being handy - won't be a huge recruit.

Then there's the small matter of Fremantle's salary cap, which is already straining and it would be very unlikely to be able to fit a player such as Coughlan or Black in. On top of that, unless Freo have a really poor year, they would have to organise a suitable trade and I doubt they would want to give Pavlich, Haselby et al away.

NO CHANCE IN HELL (and Freo doesn't need them anyway)

Best chance at Josh Carr I'd guess but really, why go and buy players from other clubs ? - why not just have faith in their young players and draftees and see what happens ?

That's what the majority of ultimately successful teams do.

Great crop the Dockers, they don't need to bring another ringer in.

Originally posted by wooshta_9
Black - can brisbane pay him enough, they're about to loose Copland cause he wants more money so how are they gonna pay Black

Nope. Brisbane will find a way to pay Black. Simple as that. They will let other players go before Black. You don't let go of players of his calibre.

Originally posted by funky_monk
Add most probably at least one of Surjan, Waters, Dunn and McLean plus our current list and I'l think we'll be cool.

Just out of curiousity, what do you think of Surjan given how well he gots on with Glen Jakovich? Related, best of mates, and is quoted as saying things like its Jako is his idol, and his dream is to play with him?

Obviously got his head screwed on, that lad :)

Carr would be the most likely of the three to come over to Freo. Having said that, it doesn't mean we shouldn't have a red hot go at the others (in particular Coughlan)!!

Originally posted by Mead
Just out of curiousity, what do you think of Surjan given how well he gots on with Glen Jakovich? Related, best of mates, and is quoted as saying things like its Jako is his idol, and his dream is to play with him?

Obviously got his head screwed on, that lad :)

You left out the or play against him part

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by dasler
You left out the or play against him part

Well obviously he was referring to the intraclubs :)

Seriously you'd hope that Schwab has learnt his lesson after the Trent Croad adventure. The dockers' core group are all young, so they can afford to draft to improve their team rather than recruiting big names with inflated market value. Drafting one of the talented young midfielders around this year would sort out your midfield long term, so why cast about for another big name?

If Polak, McPharlin, Schammer and co improve as much as Docker fans expect them to, chances are they're going to want some pretty handy money over the next few years. If you picked up Josh Carr, you'd probably have to push one of those sort of players out the back door to afford him, which would be utterly insane.

Likely that we won't get any of them, but if it's to be one of them, then I reckon Carr would be the most likely. As long as it's not for any deal involving SA boys Pav or Schammer!!!

There will always be speculation, by both fans and inevitably the media, that when a WA player from an interstate club is out of contract that he is "in talks" with one of (or both) the WA clubs.:rolleyes:

If we can pick up Brock mcLean in the draft the tottally dis-regard this thread because then it wont mater cause we would already have our new tough hard at it midfielder.

blacks family all moved to brisbane - so he has no reason to return to wa
i'd say carr (cos' of matt) is the most likely to want to come - i thought i read somewhere that schammer would be happy to return - so that's a possible trade if both clubs want it

with crud gone, and farmers deal renegotiated for substantially less, there is now room under the cap for a star recruit. but that wont happen, cos the trade that richmond would want for a star like coughlin wont be what the dockers will want to trade. and black is happy up there.

id say the extra room will be used up in the next few years on upping the salary of the young players that develop. a suitable trade for carr could happen tho.

First time I have ever agreed with anything mead has ever said.
The likes of Polak,McPharlin,Haselby,Pavlich and more are coming up for contract negotiations.
If we sign them all up frankly I dont care if we dont get any of these guys.
Hopefully wont be duped into paying the price they most certainly will be asking.
We at the moment have a team that can win the premireship, we just need to develop them.

If Freo can get Black then you can justify paying top dollar - he is an absolute champion.

Freo can develop one of the young kids from this year's draft into a Coughlan or Carr type so why pay top dollar for them. And of course if you want Carr you have to deal with Port Adelaide and Mr Grumpy himself. He so deluded he will probably want Pavlich for Carr.

Would Freo bother trying to get Hay as well, or would the Eagles be the only club chasing Hay?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dockers after WA Midfielders.

Back