Does Caro know something about the Tigers we don't?

Remove this Banner Ad

We tanked for one quarter. You?
We're discussing the serious topic of tanking and you are interested in quantity?

It's quality that matters ET, quality.......

We're discussing the serious topic of tanking and you are interested in quantity?

It's quality that matters ET, quality.......
I'm interested in the thoughts of the average Carlton supporter because they're the ones who were cheering on losses and bragging about nabbing Kruezer. We are discussing the serious topic of tanking from the outside.

Yawn, Richmond win and get pick 3 they use on Cotchin and Carlton use pick 1 on Kruezer and pick 2 in the trade for Judd. And it was ordinary for the Tiges to get the spoon and Carlton get the first pick.
Not a chance. Eagles made it known they wanted Cotchin and would have used that Pick 2 on him. You guys might have opted for Masten or Morton.

Yawn, Richmond win and get pick 3 they use on Cotchin and Carlton use pick 1 on Kruezer and pick 2 in the trade for Judd. And it was ordinary for the Tiges to get the spoon and Carlton get the first pick.
richmond win and wce end up with pick 2 and use it on cotchin. they did everything in their power to get hold of that #2 pick. they were all over cotchin.
and yes it was ordinary that a team can finish last and not get pick 1.

I'll say it again. We were really the worst team in 2009 and probably 2007. We never got a priority pick because other teams "played the game" better (i.e. tanked). If the league had any guts, it would reward us with a priority pick this time around since we deserved it and never got is back then. If ever there was a year that demonstrated how poorly we "played the game", it was 2006. Would you believe we finished ahead of Geelong! They were so much better than us that they beat us the very next year by over 150 points yet were able to nab Joel Selwood before we could in 2006. That year more than anything demonstrated how hard we tried to win every game and didn't tank whilst other teams did the usual "list management" and surprisingly fell below us on the ladder to be rewarded with better draft picks.

To accuse the tigers of tanking is one of the most naive comments ever said on BF. OMG one last quarter of a coach letting the team play its own way DOES NOT CONSTITUTE TANKING.
Melbourne with a carefully hatched plan consisting of meetings and player instructions DOES!!!!

We tanked for one quarter. You?
We had one less scoring shot than Melbourne, but unfortunately hit the post 7 times. Credit must go to our players though, because despite having been shit for 5 years, our players improved their skills so much they were able to deliberately hit the post 7 times to ensure we lost the game.

i think santa hit the nail pretty firmly on the subject matter.....systematic and carefully thoughout "list management" was not occurring at richmond. **** those sides from the last 10 seasons were horrible.

get santa back on the richmond board!

Tigers definitely had no interest in winning that game and very much wanted to lose it. Don't think they took steps to make it hard for the players to win although Wallace has admitted he did nothing all game (some would say that helped) in the coaches box and was always honest about how conflicted he felt.

Carlton's intent and efforts to ensure they lost late in the year were far worse.

The actual word he used was he felt "compromised", not conflicted.

Just like feeling "cheated" doesn't mean that you cheated.

What i remember re the Tiges was a game (and it could be the one mentioned v Saints) Where they were right in the hunt last qtr and one of the most bizarre moves i;ve ever seen happened with not much time left.
Got a lot of time for Foley, especially with what he's been through...but to see him switched forward effectively taking him out of the game was something i'll always ask questions about. He has tried his guts out for the Tiges, but with respect he was about the last guy you would ever take out of the middle and switch up forward with a few mins left and the game on the line...especially after what seemed a bit long on the bench during the last 5mins.

Doubt i'd be the only one to remember this special Wallace move. Stuck in my head as the most blatant move between all the clubs suspected of "not trying enough" around that time.

http://www.vexnews.com/2008/09/crue...sledges-paralympics-as-not-really-like-sport/

The Age’s senior football writer Caroline Wilson sneeringly attacked brave Aussie Paralympians on the ABC’s Sunday Offsiders show declaring that “it’s not really like sport.”

To his credit, sports writer Francis Leach immediately challenged her and she seemed to have little to support her assertion other than patronising prejudice.

After stammering a bit, The Age journalist responded “Well, you’re watching people muck up.” She even offered the assertion that some viewers are watching the coverage “for the wrong reasons”, ie to watch the sportsmen and women being injured.

This is the 'person' that you flogs are listening too, and taking her words as gospel.

What an absolutely horrid, vile , disgusting piece of human filth you are, Caroline Wilson.

http://www.vexnews.com/2008/09/crue...sledges-paralympics-as-not-really-like-sport/

This is the 'person' that you flogs are listening too, and taking her words as gospel.

What an absolutely horrid, vile , disgusting piece of human filth you are, Caroline Wilson.
The problem that you have that on this occasion (tanking) is that they do not seem to be HER words. She is passing off information that is being leaked to her from within the club or at least from someone who was in the inner sanctum in 2009!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Harsh. Why is it that opposition supporters want to lump in another team's supporters into the same boat when it comes to something negative?

Carlton supporters are devoid of morality, Collingwood supporters are all unemployed ferals ... you know the stereotypes. Doesn't help an argument.

What you probably saw was a group of the more vocal Melbourne supporters singing the song and this formed your opinion of the whole supporter base. They are not all deserving of this pain, and if it does go further and punishments are metered out, some decent supporters are going to have to endure the recovery and then endure the jibes and taunts from generalising pointscorers forever and a day .... all for just supporting their team. As I said, pretty harsh.
Obviously not all but there was a shitload of them. First of all cheering every Richmond goal, then singing the song and rubbing it in our faces how we'd given them Scully and Trengove. Jokes on them now.

I'll say it again. We were really the worst team in 2009 and probably 2007. We never got a priority pick because other teams "played the game" better (i.e. tanked). If the league had any guts, it would reward us with a priority pick this time around since we deserved it and never got is back then. If ever there was a year that demonstrated how poorly we "played the game", it was 2006. Would you believe we finished ahead of Geelong! They were so much better than us that they beat us the very next year by over 150 points yet were able to nab Joel Selwood before we could in 2006. That year more than anything demonstrated how hard we tried to win every game and didn't tank whilst other teams did the usual "list management" and surprisingly fell below us on the ladder to be rewarded with better draft picks.

To accuse the tigers of tanking is one of the most naive comments ever said on BF. OMG one last quarter of a coach letting the team play its own way DOES NOT CONSTITUTE TANKING.
Melbourne with a carefully hatched plan consisting of meetings and player instructions DOES!!!!

Well said mate.

My best mate is a carlton fan and he says their tanking was justified because of how bad they were. What was it? 5-6 years of struggling? Nothing compared to the 30 odd years Richmond folk have suffered and yet we didn't try tanking and still got deprived of picks by better teams that played the list management game better. Weren't we the first team to finish last and not get pick 1?

Would love some retrospective draft picks to be given to us but doubt the AFL will say we need them. What about the last few years where we've been doing our rebuild through compromised drafts and excessive concessions for the new expansion teams :rolleyes:

Just Richmond doing it tough. Will make any future success that much sweeter!

I don't care if a team 'tanked' or not, if the AFL want to reward clubs for certain end of season finishes then of course its going to happen.

Change the rules regarding priority picks etc, not change the rules to suit that rule !!!

^ This.

The AFL orchestrated a reward system for teams that lose. The clubs aren't at fault, the AFL and their stupidity and continual head in sand approach (Vlad) is where the fault lies. Tanking is the byproduct of their insistence the priority pick system was fine and working well.

dont bring richmond into melbourne steamy pile of crap, richmond has never tanked, but had every right to do so, because of the shit we have had to go through for 30 years , but we didnt, melbourne will now reap what they sow, collingwood should be looked at reagrding season 2005, now their was some tanking, and eddie needs to just shut the **** up, he is such a turd

WTF are you talking about??. Teams actually suck in periods of their history, The pies sucked ass in 2005. The tigers have sucked for the last 32 years. I see this trend continuing, much to my own twisted pleasure and probably 1 million more like me. Suck it up.

Round 19 2005.

Collingwood lead by 23 points at the 19 minute mark of the final quarter and have all of the momentum.

North get up and win 6 points.

Collingwood go on to retain priority pick status and pick up Thomas and Pendlebury with picks 2 & 5 in the 2005 draft.

Gotta love those last minute goals to prove the Magpies tanked......absolutely unequivocal. Take away our flags.....

Gotta love those last minute goals to prove the Magpies tanked......absolutely unequivocal. Take away our flags.....

It was a turn around of some note. 5 goals in 8-9 minutes from a side that had only kicked 10 in the preceding 100 minutes.

Watch the time clock jump from 34 seconds to 14 seconds in the blink of an eye.

It was a turn around of some note. 5 goals in 8-9 minutes from a side that had only kicked 10 in the preceding 100 minutes.

Watch the time clock jump from 34 seconds to 14 seconds in the blink of an eye.
I seem to recall the bombers kicking 8 or 9 in the last quarter against the Swans this year at Etihad after only kicking 2 in the first 3 quarters, Swans won the flag. It happens. Collingwood were simply not good enough. Either that or they tanked....the facts are hazy

Remove this Banner Ad

Does Caro know something about the Tigers we don't?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back