Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Two key players down and players missing shots from 10-15 metres out? That is nothing to do with coachng.

S#!+ thread title I'm sorry.
I think we all understand that coaching has nothing to do with the injuries to two kpds in the space of15 minutes or missing straightforward shots. But don’t you concede that coaching may play a role in losing to all top eight opponents bar one this year, or losing to teams below us on the ladder regularly and also no improvement in stopping scoring run ins?

Thought Smith and Daniel were disappointing. The Bont is getting tagged. Any chance? 3 tackles and 2 clearances between them. On the flip side, Libba was massive again. 10 tackles, 5 clearances and 10 score involvements. In the votes again.
Daniel didn't play any of the last qtr.

Smith spent the first half of it on the bench.

This would suggest that they both went into the last qtr injured.

We were down two and possibly more rotations if Smith had to return to the field injured.

Its little wonder that we got run over in the end.

Last edited:

:think: Are we the only 2 people on this board who have this view?
Not necessarily. Will say however we do not have the team to run this gameplan for 4 quarters and spending a whole pre season to try and correct it yet coming up so short certainly questions the overall coaching group.

We have issues in each section of the ground so Bev does have some responsibility

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Are we the only 2 people on this board who have this view?

No, but it brings to light how much of a gamble is put on forcing a press with little to no defensive capacity when 2 KPD’s are off with injuries. You just can’t keep playing that game and hope for something magical to happen. Just about every press from the 12 min mark of the 3rd quarter was transitioned fast out catching Duryea or Gardner ahead of their direct opponent.

While the small forwards were having minimal impact in applying pressure to keep the ball i50 it was clearly not working when they kicked 3 in a row. You don’t wait to bleed 6 goals then put a slow tall on the backline that’s already hampered by another slow KPD

Smith spent nearly half of it on the bench.

Watching them during the game, I can't help thinking Ed might not have been the only one who was crook.

Neither seemed to have much energy after 1/4 time.

Very unlike CD, in particular.

So we were 2.5 rotations down in the last quarter and lost by 5 points. Hard to sheet it all home to the coach I'd've thought. Doesn't entirely explain the 3rd but might give a hint.

I'm not that bothered by the result. We still have time.

Our 8 year old played basketball with only 5 team members turning up today. One of our team has asthma and had to stay out there the entire game. Against a team that had full rotations and had beaten us each time we played them for the last three seasons I watched an 18 year old coach:

- ensure the asthmatic kid managed his energy in the last two quarters by playing deep defence and running up less (completely changing the original game plan);

- will his team together and encourage and instruct them over the line continuously adjusting for improvement;

- adjust the team so that our players were matched against players he felt their skills could specifically exploit.

In other words - coach.

We should have been overrun, we should have run out of gas, we ended up taking a 15 all halftime game to a 29 - 23 win.

I get it’s not elite sport and I’m just a pretty proud dad but **** me me I would take the ability to adjust and think through a game plan over the shit Bevo and Sycophants is delivering 8 years in any day.

My god it’s time.

Naughton going back when we had the two injuries wouldn't have helped much when Toby Greene was getting separation on his opponents and turning the game on its head in the 3rd. GWS needed to be stopped steaming out of our forward line and driving through the middle of the ground, like it was a game of checkers. We are decidedly ill equiped to do this. Our small forwards dont/didn't offer enough pressure after the 1st qtr and our mids cannot transition or cover the ground quickly enough to do anything about it. its why we press so hard at the contest and around the ball. Because the coaches understand that once the ball gets wide and into space then we're ****ed.
Exactly. We're coaching to compensate for a lack of quality on some lines.

Are we the only list in the top 8 without an intercept marking defender?

No, but it brings to light how much of a gamble is put on forcing a press with little to no defensive capacity when 2 KPD’s are off injuries. You just can’t keep playing that game and hope for something magical to happen. Just about every press from the 12 min mark of the 3rd quarter was transitioned fast out catching Duryea or Gardner ahead of their direct opponent.

While the small forwards were having minimal impact in applying pressure to keep the ball i50 it was clearly not working when they kicked 3 in a row. You don’t wait to bleed 6 goals then put a slow fall on the backline that’s already hampered by another slow KPD
Whats a viable alternative though?

Go man on man and get exposed for pace?

Leave outriggers wide of the contest and get exposed for pace?

Play a rigid structure and guard space and then get exposed for pace?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whats a viable alternative though?

The team/structure unfortunately doesn’t have a viable plan B game and a defensive capability to adapt to an opponent gaining momentum

Our 8 year old played basketball with only 5 team members turning up today. One of our team has asthma and had to stay out there the entire game. Against a team that had full rotations and had beaten us each time we played them for the last three seasons I watched an 18 year old coach:

- ensure the asthmatic kid managed his energy in the last two quarters by playing deep defence and running up less (completely changing the original game plan);

- will his team together and encourage and instruct them over the line continuously adjusting for improvement;

- adjust the team so that our players were matched against players he felt their skills could specifically exploit.

In other words - coach.

We should have been overrun, we should have run out of gas, we ended up taking a 15 all halftime game to a 29 - 23 win.

I get it’s not elite sport and I’m just a pretty proud dad but * me me I would take the ability to adjust and think through a game plan over the s**t Bevo and Sycophants is delivering 8 years in any day.

My god it’s time.
You could've just called me a Beveridge sycophant and saved me your movie of the week story.

The team/structure unfortunately doesn’t have a viable plan B game and a defensive capability to adapt to an opponent gaining momentum
Given the cattle we have to work with.

What is a viable plan B?

We can't keep relying on him every week and it certainly wasn't the reason we lost but Bont was very quiet after QT...

Bontempelli - Q1
13 disposals (69% efficiency)
5 contested possessions
1 clearance
42 ranking points

Bontempelli - Q2-Q4
14 disposals (50% efficiency)
12 contested possessions
6 clearances
60 ranking points
It wasn't even his lack of impact. It was his fumbling.

You could've just called me a Beveridge sycophant and saved me your movie of the week story.

Given the cattle we have to work with.

What is a viable plan B?

Given the issues with the defensive structure, Ed out before the game with illness, losing Bruce and Keath, Williams didn’t have much of an impact I’m not surprised with the team being overrun. Perhaps Daniel for the quick switch out but with him off for the 4th that was out of the question.

Putting Lobb down there though wasn’t a good idea, speed was needed to get the ball out with better efficiency

That was disgraceful

It makes me sick Gardy will now be gifted another couple weeks due to lack of defensive stocks I’d prefer we roll the dice on Busslinger

How does Vandermeer play ahead of west or Cleary? What does he actually offer to the side other than a slight burst of speed..

Another wasted year again are we any danger of getting some actual coaches and fitness staff in at the end of the season?

Absolute joke

You clearly have some in house connections Smiley.

What’s the word re coaches?

Surely people aren’t happy.

What about the silent president?

It wasn't even his lack of impact. It was his fumbling.
Ward went hard-tag after quarter time and was good at it.
Bont, despite how amazing he is as a player, couldn't shake Ward.

Ward went hard-tag after quarter time and was good at it.
Bont, despite how amazing he is as a player, couldn't shake Ward.

And they also did their best to negate Libba’s impact

Brother we lose the same way every game. You have to make adjustments and deal with these things. The giants aren’t a dynasty team they barely have a FF. They’re a decent team but not very good without Hogan and Green by any stretch. If a coach can’t implement anything to try and stem the flow and the answer is to put Lobb back when you have Naugton, it’s laughable. This is purely coaching.

Obviously there are other reasons we lost but accepting mediocrity shouldn’t be the way.
They're now on a 7 game winning streak.
They're a very good side at the minute. We lost by less than a kick while being two rotations down and others playing through injury.

This is a list with significant holes in it. Gardner is an honest toiler but he's KPD 2, 3, 4 on other lists while he's often no 1 (in the absence of Jones) on ours
No intercept marking player.
No settled wings.
Weightman is a genuine hybrid forward but we have no dedicated small forward.

I just don't think we have the list others think we do.

Think we had a game like this in 2016. We were killing it then had a couple of untimely injuries. Seems like we had 2 untimely injuries plus 2 illnesses in this case. Anyways, it worked out OK in the end....in 2016.

We must be due for some luck. You don't want to rely on it but FFS we've had more than our share of sh1t luck already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Back