Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Think we had a game like this in 2016. We were killing it then had a couple of untimely injuries. Seems like we had 2 untimely injuries plus 2 illnesses in this case. Anyways, it worked out OK in the end....in 2016.

We must be due for some luck. You don't want to rely on it but FFS we've had more than our share of sh1t luck already.
Jones back at KPD.
A chance to get a game or two into Buss (no doubt MC pick JOD again though).

Small forward is an issue. Arty Jones as a pressure player or Charlie Clarke call up?

You clearly have some in house connections Smiley.

What’s the word re coaches?

Surely people aren’t happy.

What about the silent president?

Don’t worry there’s pressure coming on Bevo but I don’t think we’ve got the balls to make any drastic moves

Not sure who you’re talking about when you say President as I’m yet to see or hear from any president for the last 2 years

Absolutely headless after today should not have lost that

They're now on a 7 game winning streak.
They're a very good side at the minute. We lost by less than a kick while being two rotations down and others playing through injury.

This is a list with significant holes in it. Gardner is an honest toiler but he's KPD 2, 3, 4 on other lists while he's often no 1 (in the absence of Jones) on ours
No intercept marking player.
No settled wings.
Weightman is a genuine hybrid forward but we have no dedicated small forward.

I just don't think we have the list others think we do.

I agree with you - the list is far from perfect and there are holes in it. However, these holes in the list don’t stop us from getting big leads against teams. Bad teams don’t get ahead like we do such as the games against Collingwood, Giants, Suns, Swans etc etc.

The problems have constantly come when other teams make adjustments. We don’t know how to react and we dont make changes to stem the flow. Obviously this game is harder to be critical on coaching with Bruce and Keath out but it’s just frustrating watching the same thing over and over again.

I just dont think you can say Bevo is doing enough with this list and is getting the best out of it.

We do not deserve to make the 8 after that pathetic display.

After Q3 10 minute mark…

WB: 3.3 (21)
GW: 9.7 (61)

Giving away lazy free kicks, dropping uncontested marks, horrendous ball movement and a total lack of forward half pressure.
the ease at which they exited our forward 50 and chained down the ground was alarming

Don’t worry there’s pressure coming on Bevo but I don’t think we’ve got the balls to make any drastic moves

Not sure who you’re talking about when you say President as I’m yet to see or hear from any president for the last 2 years

Absolutely headless after today should not have lost that

Surely there’s heat coming on the board from outside the club after the obviously horrendous decision to extend him

Given the issues with the defensive structure, Ed out before the game with illness, losing Bruce and Keath, Williams didn’t have much of an impact I’m not surprised with the team being overrun. Perhaps Daniel for the quick switch out but with him off for the 4th that was out of the question.

Putting Lobb down there though wasn’t a good idea, speed was needed to get the ball out with better efficiency
Thats the thing. Going into the last, Beveridge had no more hares to pull out of his arse.

We just didn't have the luxury of putting an extra player with speed into defence when it all started to fall apart late in the 3rd.

Because unless you switch the likes of VDM with his suspect skillset under pressure there just wasn't anybody to swing back to stem the wave that was engulfing us. Bearing in mind we'd already sent Williams back and he's middling paced and a straight line player. Not what you want in defence when a team is getting a run on.

There's a lot of things that were terrible about that game, but a special fresh in my mind shout out to Vandermeer for his abysmal efforts in the last 5 minutes. Messed up 2 very dangerous forward entries and one that looked like it was working our way.
as soon as VDM steps forward of centre he becomes awful again, has been decent off half back

It's a long time since I've been so angry during, and after a game. Still angry now tbh. Angry at the players, and the coach. And that little pr1ck from the opposition. Also a little angry at myself, as I let a few words slip in the third quarter that I think people in the vicinity didn't appreciate, esp my own gameday companions. I still claim they were an accurate reflection on the character of the opposition players, maybe need to be more discerning with the audience I expose them too!

Regardless, I know we were 2 KPDs down, but the decision making in the box and on the ground was abominable in that second half.
Should a new voice be in the box? Tonight I'm certainly leaning to "yes", but need to sleep on it. List certainly needs tweaking, pace the desperate and obvious need, to start with.

But I'm still really, really.... really angry.

Not sure I'd say I want us to miss finals. Tbh missing finals would be a massive fail in itself. But I fear like others that final/s would be as disastrous as some of our recent h&a efforts.

Anyway, not worrying about finals at this stage. Because tonight im just really angry.

FFFFFFFFAAAAARRRRRRKKKKKKKK!!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not what you want in defence when a team is getting a run on.

Agree

As Mof mentioned, which I agree, IMO it’s time to accept the reality that the current list just doesn’t have the required balance

Why Lobb down back? Meant English rucked the entire 2nd half and clearly looked cooked by the end. They weren’t even that tall In the fwd 50.
Thsoe justifying West‘s omission earlier in the week, well I present LVDM. My god he was bad.
I just can’t watch our FB any longer. We start everyone game 2 goals down due to the cough ups.

But in saying all that we got smashed in the middle from the mid point in the 3rd qtr. But it was exactly when English started to tire. See point one. Baker too would have been handy with his pace.
Baker is a good defensive runner and should play. we got found out there

Devastating. Just to see the get out muscled and run over so easily. Bruce and Keath did make difference. Riccardi got away and Bruce had him covered and was playing OK and Keath takes the possession and the game on.

But this isn’t the reason, either are the missed goals - it is the passion in the team to lift when the game is on the line.

Libba is brilliant Trelor is very good and so is Macrae but they are one speed. Smith dropping off has not helped. He should be a 25+ high impact player but hasn’t got the tenacity and metal toughness to lead - he showed it early and then lost control - am confident it will come but when we look for Boyd, Picken, Wood, Morris, Dickson, Clay types to live the heat and lift - there isn’t anyone answering the call?

The players that can lift to elite levels - they don’t have another gear. The ones who do are Bont, English, Weightman and Naughton - the latter two were smashed and couldn’t get into the game, they tagged Bont and Briggs just came out after half time and bashed English until he slowed down - one hit in the head (no free) and then a knee straight in the ribs and English was out. Then Briggs could see he had hurt him and got his tail up. True Mumford dirty but the best rucks run those types off their fee.

GWS are not a better team but have a gear in the best couple and an energy to the team and we didn’t do anything about that. We playing the same zone when we should have tight tagged Greene and pushed Williams back from wing back into the zone and brought VDM onto the wing and played 7:6:5 and launched from HB.

I don’t want to bag anyone but VDM consistently panics under pressure - I am not sure this is coachable. It has been the same problem for a long time. I know it is a positioning thing - but he is not using his speed to break out of defence and so that is not working. Cleary looked much better under pressure- actually was cool as ice for a five gamer. And there is obviously something up with Crozier who is streets better player and has courage.

With JJ back - I don’t see how he get a job ahead of Baker? With Scott as a utility - I don’t think we need to cover JJ that way.

Scott copped it here - and his misses were disappointing but he also did some good things.

Poulter was OK but shirked at least three contests and that’s not good enough. Enable easy marks and possessions.

Wasn’t the worst but Smith played well under his ability also - he tried in bursts and bet he covered a reasonable ground without having much impact.

Not a fan of Lobb but he showed some good thing early before losing all influence on the game. Was the worst game played by Naughton in a really long time - smashed by his opponent but also reacted badly and so did JUH. - having both so badly beaten and also off - effort wise is rare but basically means out avenues to goal: Naughty, JUH, Weightman and Lobb - all closed. That’s not good enough.

West adds some spine and without him that forward line looks like a bunch of fair weather supermodels. Simple fact is Naughty is a 50 goal FF playing nowhere near that level but also not working to get himself in the game.

Williams is a worry - very slow and slow decision making.

Dale was very very good - courage to go for marks and adjusted his role when Keath and then Bruce were off and played tall - a role Ed would normally play and then Williams previously.

Duryea seemed like he was playing well but then F’face just toyed with him when the game was on the line - he was the loose and kept losing his footing - indicating he was blown up. Problem is who else do we have a small hard defender.

I think at this point we all expect us to choke away leads. Lobb at FB is irrelevant when the damage was done with our horrendous management of the third quarter and how we opened ourselves up to fast break goals when we should have been managing the game.

This is what we are under Bev now, 2022 and 2023 have made it very clear the GF broke us (or Bev) and we have no idea how to respond to persistent issues.

Jones back at KPD.
A chance to get a game or two into Buss (no doubt MC pick JOD again though).

Small forward is an issue. Arty Jones as a pressure player or Charlie Clarke call up?
Would Jones (L) be ready next week? If he is then yes. I'd go with JOD in that scenario, otherwise we're looking at Gards, JOD and Buss. What can ya do?

I agree that small forward is a significant issue and a quick one at that. Jones (A) does fit the bill in terms of pace and pressure. Not being a watcher of VFL I couldn't say whether he's on the way back up or not but I think I'd be prepared to risk it if he's well within himself. He does bring closing speed pressure, defensive work rate and a dash of flare in attack.....and if he can recapture it ... enthusiasm.

The most pressing requirements this week might be echinacea drops for the whole squad. A double dose for Bailey.

the rotation less is a legitimate excuse
as we werent outmarked and their goals were chains and groundballs then really no excuse for being tall defendors down.
when youre in control of the game and know you are a rotation down, you make adjustments to style and lock down, we continued a high press, laughable.

Would love to have someone in the side who could play a shut down role on Greene when he gets on a roll, but I don't think we have such a beast.

Even if we did, Bevo probably wouldn't tag anyway 😕

Greene is probably pound-for-pound the best 1-on-1 player in the comp. So no, we don't have a player who could shut him down, because no such player exists.

It's a long time since I've been so angry during, and after a game. Still angry now tbh. Angry at the players, and the coach. And that little pr1ck from the opposition. Also a little angry at myself, as I let a few words slip in the third quarter that I think people in the vicinity didn't appreciate, esp my own gameday companions. I still claim they were an accurate reflection on the character of the opposition players, maybe need to be more discerning with the audience I expose them too!

Regardless, I know we were 2 KPDs down, but the decision making in the box and on the ground was abominable in that second half.
Should a new voice be in the box? Tonight I'm certainly leaning to "yes", but need to sleep on it. List certainly needs tweaking, pace the desperate and obvious need, to start with.

But I'm still really, really.... really angry.

Not sure I'd say I want us to miss finals. Tbh missing finals would be a massive fail in itself. But I fear like others that final/s would be as disastrous as some of our recent h&a efforts.

Anyway, not worrying about finals at this stage. Because tonight im just really angry.

FFFFFFFFAAAAARRRRRRKKKKKKKK!!!!!
Where's the hug emoji when you need one?

It will pass. I felt this way a few weeks ago. It will pass and you'll end up not giving a rats backside as no one at the club cares enough to do anything, so why should I bother turning up. I will once I've got something to turn up for....

Players and coaches equally to blame for that debacle.

1. Beveridge sent Naughton back in the Norf game when we were down a player. Why send Lobb, a ruckman/forward who’s never played defender, down to defence?

2. On Naughton, have said in the past that one day his atrocious set shot goal kicking misses will cost us big time and today it did. He misses a shot dead in front from 20 out again. And we lose by a kick.

So given he is not dominating and doing his usual fluffing of set shots that are absolute sodas, what’s the reason for sending Lobb to the backline and not Naughton?

3. Other players missed goals that should have been kicked - Weightman, JUH, Scott.

4. I know they’re role players and not champions, but Scott and VanDerMeer literally could not have played worse games.

5. Opposition gets a run on and we are unable to stop them yet again. Only cost us a premiership a few years ago and still hasn’t been fixed.

Although I’m beginning to agree that missing the finals would actually be preferable, I don’t see us missing them at the moment.

Such a wasted year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Dogs apparently NOT out coached again... but still find a way to lose 78 v 73

Remove this Banner Ad

Back