Preview Dogs on Mars: Round 8 Saturday May - 11 1:45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
First time under Fagan's tenure I can remember us dropping someone entirely for structural reasons. That's a good thing to be honest.

With the dogs dropping dickson they really only have Naughton and Gowers who you can even call marking forwards (gowers is 187cm) - the rest are smalls.

He actually is average paced-slow but not as slow as many think - that's for sure.

And he’s slimmed down this year. He was probably a bit big a couple of years ago.

I think that’s a big possibility. However conditions probably won’t favour contested marking on the day, which should nullify Naughton and Walker’s loss to an extent. My worry is I’m not sure we have anyone to go with Bont if they throw him forward

Gardiner to Bont when he is up forward, Lester to Gowers - Gowers is 2cm taller than Lester. Lester might even have the Gowers matchup most of the game and Dizzy on a small when Bont isn't resting forward.

Gardiner to Bont when he is up forward, Lester to Gowers - Gowers is 2cm taller than Lester. Lester might even have the Gowers matchup most of the game and Dizzy on a small when Bont isn't resting forward.
I like those matchups.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know you’re president of the fan club, but Walker clearly offers more than Lester. Reads the play better, gets into good positions and his marking is a feature/massive help. I’m not sure Lester offers the same.
I agree . I can accept Ryan is a great clubman and teacher but I've never thought he was much of a player.

Still a lot seem to see the beauty in him so let's hope he delivers.

He does try hard.

Maybe Harris is a last minute decision? Walker comes in for him if he doesn't get up.

As disappointing as it will be for Taylor and especially Walker, it is a good sign that we are getting to the point of being able to pick a best 22 most suited to the opposition and the conditions. Rather than having to pick the best 22 and shuffle them to fit the positions we now seem to have more legitimate options for each position. It is great knowing we have a fit in-form Walker ready to come back in when required.

And it wasn’t all that long ago that it was probably harder for a modestly talented player to get out of the best 22 than to get in, such was the shallowness of our depth.

I know you’re president of the fan club, but Walker clearly offers more than Lester. Reads the play better, gets into good positions and his marking is a feature/massive help. I’m not sure Lester offers the same.

The question is who is a bigger liability to someone shorter and faster than them.

Walker or Lester?

I'm not sure that the answer is unequivocally Walker.

I agree Walker is a better KPD than Lester, by a long way. But we can only take one and it has to be Andrews.

I like the changes.
Walker is stiff to miss out but it is purely positional. They only have the 1 key forward, plus it could be wet so dropping a tall could be worthwhile, Andrews is better and Walker will be back in next week.

Bailey is in to try and stop their run, him and Answorth could be our future backline runners for the next 10 years. Looks like a really good mix of kicking ability (Witherden and Rich) and run (Bailey and Answorth).

Plus Taylor out... well he got 7 disposals... we are getting to the point where that is unacceptable.
1mm rain is estimated for Ballarat Saturday which is nothing. Ground will be wet though. 20 to 30mm rain tomorrow. Will not need to many talls.

I feel sorry for Josh Walker but to look at the positives it keeps everyone on their toes and makes them realise that your place is only secure as long as you add value to the team and play well consistently . Sometimes these things drive people a bit harder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back