Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

MileHigh

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Lifted this off the AFL website. Are their potential draft selections correct? Anyone have any inside word on who we are likely to take that will still be around at #18?

Ericpascoe, you always seem to be on the money. If you pick this up, can you let me know what the go is.

Cheers

---
NAB AFL Draft selections: 18, 33, 41, 67, 70

Delistings and retirements: Richard Hadley, Shaun Grigg (Richmond), Sam Jacobs (Adelaide), Simon Wiggins

Additions: Andrew Collins (Richmond), Jeremy Laidler (Geelong)

Approach: The Blues love Paul Bower, but are starting to come around to the idea that he might be more-suited as third-tall defender rather than centre half-back. Mark Austin has been viewed as another option there but his body cannot be trusted at this point. At the other end of the ground Lachie Henderson is coming along nicely and Jarrad Waite will be better with a season under his belt following a knee reconstruction, but Setanta O'hAilpin's disappointing finish to the year will see him moved back into defence, leaving the Blues to shop for another tall target on draft day.

Dream selection: The Calder Cannons' Matt Watson would slot into centre half-back early on and is a reasonable chance to still be available at their first pick. The 195cm key prospect already weighs in at 98kg, has a strong left foot and is a composed decision maker coming out of defence. Will also consider SA lad Patrick McCarthy if Watson isn't on the board. WA forward Jack Darling could be a smokey if neither is available.
---

Darling or Watson. I think this year we need to address needs much more than we have in the past. I'm usually a 'pick the best player available' kind of guy, but i'm willing to take a bit of a punt on a tall (within good reason).

I am not sure if it is the over-saturation of these names but I am finding it harder and harder to really want either Darling or Watson. For a tall forward I'd prefer Luke Mitchell who has a ton more upside then Darling, if we need a walk up defender next year Hartigan should be available at 41.

People have overhyped these players without considerations for the weaknesses in their game. Darling is a little short for KP, but has the capability to play up the ground. Is the bullocking tallish type. He wouldn't really be a FF selection, or at least not a full time one. Watson has a fantastic game sense, but is slow. Can kick the ball a long way, which he tries to use at every opportunity. Watson reminds me of Brian Lake, and will probably take some time adjusting to the pace of AFL level, despite calls he could play Round 1 next year.

If we want to fill in needs I think there will be good players at 33 and 41, 18 should be best available

18 is a tricky one. It will be interesting to see if Hughes sticks to his best available philosophy or instead tries to address a need. I don't think he would pass up an Atley, Smith or Polec type if they were available at 18. Watson does seem to be the most likely option though. Wouldn't be surprised if we grabbed a Hallahan or Conca though.

Depends on what the Gold Coast do, if they reach for Watson and McCarthy early which is a big possibility and melbourne go for Cook, which I think they may. I'd say Hughes may go best available and guys like Mitchell & Karnezis may be targets with later picks. ( I can dream):D

Id say Watson at #18 (Darling i rekon his body has already peaked and dont think he will continue to develop as the others will, dont think he is able to play a KPP will be more like a 3rd tall)

Luke Mitchel or Karzenis (oakleigh charges swingman) at #33. Mitchell may slide to this pick afta his interupted season, id even go for Mitchel at #18 if Hughes believes this to be a better option. Think he has the most upside of all the KPP that would be available at our pick. Karzenis would also be good, is similar to Waite in that he can be swung forward and back in times of need.

At #41 Id go Hartigan or Sammy Crocker.

In the end i think we should give a bit of leeway when it comes to pick #18 on best available. If theres a KPP that we rated a little behind a midfielder available we should go the KPP so that it addresses our needs

Lucas Cook would be an fantastic pick at 18. Also wouldn't mind Jed Lamb hes a freak. Also once he gets his endurance up he can play on the wing an has a bulls eye shot at goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am happy to go with best available at 18 as there will always be a few sliders in the draft that we can take full advantage of eg. Kane Lucas. How he slipped to us is beyond me, the kid is a jet!

I'd look at getting a hard midfielder and a KPD with the next few picks, I want Hartigan with a late pick. We should look at a project ruckman in the rookie draft.

Best available at 18 for mine. IMO as much as be need a KPF and KPD, we also need youth to be able to take over Scotland (age) and Carazzo (quality) in the near future. Preferably if we go for a midfielder, they should be an in and under type. Also, a stay at home HBF wouldn't go astray. But hopefully Laidler can fill this void. And we need to pick up a ruckman in the rookie draft for insurance.

With that being said, I think if Watson or Darling are available at pick 18 they probably would be best available. Although the queries on both do worry me.

Would love Luke Mitchell or Seb Tape at pick 33. And at 41 we should take Hartigan if there.

Need within 4 picks based on the list below IMO.

Priority needs:

• KPD/F
  • Elite kicking/tackling/marking HBF
  • Lead up HFF
Buckley coming next year to add to our mids so important to address our needs. Options seem to be there to not have to reach TBH.

Draft picks

We need:
  • a power KPD or power Forward
  • an inside midfielder with skill, leadership and pace
  • a lead up half forward

I would have listed a line breaking wingman similar to Camporeale, but we'll draft Buckley next year. Someone posted that we were interested in JMP last year, so Pitt could be on our radar if he's available at pick 18. Pitt is said to have good skills and run, so he might fit what we look for in mids. Skill, decision making and attitude need to be priorities after Grigg didn't live up to his draft position.

No FIGJAMs thanks.

Laidler, O'keeffe and Tuohy are prospects to play at half back.

Prestia isn't the type we usually draft, but might be a good fit if he there's at 33.

Dion Prestia

That little bastard can roost a ball like you wouldn't believe. :eek: :D :)

We don't have many long and accurate kicks.

I'm confident we will take Watson if there at 18. There is a clear understanding that we need a KPD as our number one priority, but there is concern that Watson will go somewhere between 14 and 18, hence our desperation to upgrade our pick as part of the Jacobs deal. Alas.....

If McCarthy is gone as I'd expect too you might need a plan b there ep...i can see watson's attributes as much as the next bloke...but worry when a forward like marusic turns him inside out with relative ease.

If McCarthy is gone as I'd expect too you might need a plan b there ep...i can see watson's attributes as much as the next bloke...but worry when a forward like marusic turns him inside out with relative ease.

Can we get around that though? With Bower and Jamison capable of playing on the athletic and quick leading forwards can we afford to have someone who is a little slow but capable of playing on the power house forwards?

What is his endurance like? I haven't been able to get ahold of the DC results, anyone got them?

I'm confident we will take Watson if there at 18. There is a clear understanding that we need a KPD as our number one priority, but there is concern that Watson will go somewhere between 14 and 18, hence our desperation to upgrade our pick as part of the Jacobs deal. Alas.....

Thanks Eric. Much appreciated.

Can we get around that though? With Bower and Jamison capable of playing on the athletic and quick leading forwards can we afford to have someone who is a little slow but capable of playing on the power house forwards?

What is his endurance like? I haven't been able to get ahold of the DC results, anyone got them?

Don't know, haven't got results either...I heard Shifter say he ran a sub 3sec 20m. To the naked eye pace isn't a huge concern, but I would think agility would be only average. It's not a huge knock and a bloke who can pinpoint a 60m pass to position is a nice weapon to have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back