Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know, haven't got results either...I heard Shifter say he ran a sub 3sec 20m. To the naked eye pace isn't a huge concern, but I would think agility would be only average. It's not a huge knock and a bloke who can pinpoint a 60m pass to position is a nice weapon to have.

Aren't these the same so called issues that Michael Hurley faced before being drafted? Or am i thinking of someone else?

Aren't these the same so called issues that Michael Hurley faced before being drafted? Or am i thinking of someone else?

Hurley was selected at 5 and the only real concern was his speed. He can kick off both feet, 50m+ and reads the play wonderfully and from all reports would have been selected by Carlton with pick 6.

Re: Draft picks

We need:
  • a power KPD or power Forward
  • an inside midfielder with skill, leadership and pace
  • a lead up half forward

I would have listed a line breaking wingman similar to Camporeale, but we'll draft Buckley next year. Someone posted that we were interested in JMP last year, so Pitt could be on our radar if he's available at pick 18. Pitt is said to have good skills and run, so he might fit what we look for in mids. Skill, decision making and attitude need to be priorities after Grigg didn't live up to his draft position.

No FIGJAMs thanks.

Laidler, O'keeffe and Tuohy are prospects to play at half back.

Prestia isn't the type we usually draft, but might be a good fit if he there's at 33.

Dion Prestia

That little bastard can roost a ball like you wouldn't believe. :eek: :D :)

We don't have many long and accurate kicks.

slotted a few from 60 out in that highlights package :thumbsu:

Hurley was selected at 5 and the only real concern was his speed. He can kick off both feet, 50m+ and reads the play wonderfully and from all reports would have been selected by Carlton with pick 6.

Those reports might be wrong Tarqs. We got our man.:thumbsu:

We need:
  • a power KPD or power Forward
  • an inside midfielder with skill, leadership and pace
  • a lead up half forward

I would have listed a line breaking wingman similar to Camporeale, but we'll draft Buckley next year. Someone posted that we were interested in JMP last year, so Pitt could be on our radar if he's available at pick 18. Pitt is said to have good skills and run, so he might fit what we look for in mids. Skill, decision making and attitude need to be priorities after Grigg didn't live up to his draft position.

No FIGJAMs thanks.

Laidler, O'keeffe and Tuohy are prospects to play at half back.

Prestia isn't the type we usually draft, but might be a good fit if he there's at 33.

Dion Prestia

That little bastard can roost a ball like you wouldn't believe. :eek: :D :)

We don't have many long and accurate kicks.

**** I hate those big pong w***ers... I just want to watch a ****ing short video of as highlighted, but they want to charge me for the privilege...

****ing w***ers...

Now... does anyone have a link to that highlight package on youtube?

**** I hate those big pong w***ers... I just want to watch a ****ing short video of as highlighted, but they want to charge me for the privilege...

****ing w***ers...

[YOUTUBE]L-Ze3kjyTBc[/YOUTUBE]

Need within 4 picks based on the list below IMO.

Priority needs:

• KPD/F
  • Elite kicking/tackling/marking HBF
  • Lead up HFF
Buckley coming next year to add to our mids so important to address our needs. Options seem to be there to not have to reach TBH.

Believe it or not, I'm thinking we need another mid more than a KPD this year. Last year I was screaming for Talia and was royally pissed at the 'best available' call but I actually think that we should go that way this year. My reasoning is this;

If we really need to, we can throw Hendo or O'hAilpin back at CHB if we don't see Austin 'arrive' this year (definitely NOT Bower, as he cannot do the job, I'd rather see Bower at Full Back and Jammo moved to CHB worst case senario). Scotto and Hoops will not last much more than another season and we definately need someone with elite kicking skills to replace at least one of them. Assuming Gibbs goes into the midfield then I'm hoping either White or Davies will take over at HB but we still need another player with classy disposal playing a 'Stevo' type role. Now that we have a few more FWD/DEF options (ie. Collins, Laidler, Hendo, Waite, O'hAilpin, White, Davies) who are all ready to go into our 22, the focus on replacing Scotto should be more of a priority this year as we don't another tagger (AJ should come out of defense into that role) or another in & Under player (McClean can carry this for a while yet).

Having said that, I'm happy to go with 'Best Available' if it happens to be a KPD.

I thought that as well Tarqs. TBH as much as I love Yazz I would still have taken Hurley if given the chance.

Personally I preferred Yarran before the draft and still don't mind our selection. If Ziebell was not a walking injury, he was also high on my list of players I wanted.

I have to agree with the other poster, a big bodied midfielder is not exactly the worst case selection at the draft table. If Watson has terrible agility and speed, then I am not sure we want him just because he is a manchild.

Such a shame that I think most of the players I want will be gone by the time pick 18 arrives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

****ing w***ers...

+1

Even the Carlton site videos send you to BigPond where you are blocked. And what is worse, the site they send you to wont let you sign up if you are in England!! It is for US/Canada and other countries!

Believe it or not, I'm thinking we need another mid more than a KPD this year. Last year I was screaming for Talia and was royally pissed at the 'best available' call but I actually think that we should go that way this year. My reasoning is this;

If we really need to, we can throw Hendo or O'hAilpin back at CHB if we don't see Austin 'arrive' this year (definitely NOT Bower, as he cannot do the job, I'd rather see Bower at Full Back and Jammo moved to CHB worst case senario). Scotto and Hoops will not last much more than another season and we definately need someone with elite kicking skills to replace at least one of them. Assuming Gibbs goes into the midfield then I'm hoping either White or Davies will take over at HB but we still need another player with classy disposal playing a 'Stevo' type role. Now that we have a few more FWD/DEF options (ie. Collins, Laidler, Hendo, Waite, O'hAilpin, White, Davies) who are all ready to go into our 22, the focus on replacing Scotto should be more of a priority this year as we don't another tagger (AJ should come out of defense into that role) or another in & Under player (McClean can carry this for a while yet).

Having said that, I'm happy to go with 'Best Available' if it happens to be a KPD.

Fair points. We seem to have needs in a few places for sure. My concern is that some of our talls are slightly injury prone! Jamison, Setanta, Bower and Waite miss so many games. I just hope they all stay on the park in 2011/12/13.

****ing w***ers...

I hate BigPond & the AFL.com.au website equally as much. Not only is it Anti-competitive (forces you to join bigpond if you want unmetered content AND won't let you play it if you aren't a member) but it's (the video feed) plagued with adds that consume the bandwidth that I do pay for.

Yeah let's just throw Setanta in our backline and that will magically solve our need for a KPD :rolleyes:

The guy does not know what he's doing and he will leak goals. We have Buckley coming next year, for once let's make getting a DECENT KPP into our team via the draft our priority.

However, IF we do go for another mid, it MUST be an inside mid. Someone who will put his head over the ball and win it at all costs that has good disposal and decision making. We got rid of Hadley, we've lost Grigg, McLean isn't a guarantee to come good. ALL the responsibility is left to Judd and as he's getting older, it will become harder for him to do it on his own.

The only problem is, it is highly doubtful that a tough inside mid with decent disposal and decision making will be available at pick 18. A lot of clubs will want to add that type of player to their list and they aren't very common either.

knowing Wayne Hughes, none of the players being mentioned in this thread won't be drafted by Carlton.

That's a tricky question when the gc factor means some funny things can happen with the draft order. I would be happy with mccarthy, darling or watson

That's a tricky question when the gc factor means some funny things can happen with the draft order. I would be happy with mccarthy, darling or watson

Hopefully one drops for us. I think trying to nab Adelaide's 14 (swapping 18) would have seen us def get one of those 3...but 18 may see us fall agonisingly short.

Not that I know anything really lol - just an uneducated supporters hunch :eek:

Yeah let's just throw Setanta in our backline and that will magically solve our need for a KPD :rolleyes:

The guy does not know what he's doing and he will leak goals. We have Buckley coming next year, for once let's make getting a DECENT KPP into our team via the draft our priority.

However, IF we do go for another mid, it MUST be an inside mid. Someone who will put his head over the ball and win it at all costs that has good disposal and decision making. We got rid of Hadley, we've lost Grigg, McLean isn't a guarantee to come good. ALL the responsibility is left to Judd and as he's getting older, it will become harder for him to do it on his own.

The only problem is, it is highly doubtful that a tough inside mid with decent disposal and decision making will be available at pick 18. A lot of clubs will want to add that type of player to their list and they aren't very common either.

Not saying he's the answer, just that he'd do a better job than Bower at CHB. You are right about the 'doesn't know what he's doing' part. Last time he played CHB he did OK at playing one on one, but gave away stupid frees because he didn't know the rules properly. I'm hoping he's learned since then as it's been a few years since then. Other than moving Jammo to CHB and playing Bower at FB, I don't see we have any other options atm, do you? Do you actually think we can draft someone to slot straight in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back