Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as I'm concerned needs vs best available depends on your circumstances. We've been rebuilding the list for several years now and the Murphy's and Gibbs's are coming up to that window in terms of games played and Judd is still at his peak. lets start tailoring the list for where we are obviously deficient and look to move into or very close to top four next year with a look to contend a GF in 2013.

So I'm happy with needs this year and personally I'd like a KPD and preferably one that will at least see some senior action next season.

Watson is a great reader of the ball, great kick and is strong. His downsides are his pace, agility and endurance. Being 100kg he is obviously not going to be quick or be able to run long distances.

If we can cut down some fat he will regain a bit of pace, even more agility and a tonne of endurance. Then he can slowly put that weight back on as muscle over the next few years.

As we get a more quality list we need to recruit to fill needs as much as possible.

In my mind our list lacks three things - a tough as nails inside mid, who is accountable and can play either an extraction role or a tagging role. This mid needs to be a bigger bodied hard nut. Caddy won't slide. Smith might but butchers the ball a bit. Hallahan and Prestia are possibly too small (especially Prestia). So getting a tough inside mid at 18 may be too hard. If Caddy was there I would say take him regardless.

We need a tall defender, again with mongrel and toughness. Watson appears to fit this bill but I question his agility. Again if you play him more as an anchor in defence he could play this role well. I still think Bower will be a great Leppa style CHB. To me it is Watson or McCarthy (who won't slide) or bust for KPDs at 18.

We also need a leading FF with great hands. Lucas Cook has played as CHF but has all the attributes to play FF well. He would complement Hendo going forward really well. To me he is the lock for 18, unless Caddy or Watson are there then it becomes tough.

If we go Cook at 18 we need to look at a defender and mid in the next 2 picks. I would also take the best available mid at 67. We aren't going to win a flag next year so we need to look at building the capabilities of the list. Cook is someone you could play at FF from round one and he may only kick 25 goals for the year but in 3 years he can be a 50-60 year full forward.

Watson I think will need to work on his agility and perhaps training regime. I can see him being at least until his 3rd year to make a great impact.

I'm going to do a massive backflip and say we should just go for best available. I'm not confident that Watson will be the best available at Pick 18. Wayne Hughes does some of his best work in the back end of the draft.

If a tall defender that we rate does not fall, maybe a tall forward will and we can move Waite to the backline.

Do we really think that this KPP that we draft is going to be able to have an impact from day dot? Watson maybe but it's not likely.

If we draft a forward it will be to develop and be ready to take over from Waite. I would like best available at 18, Mitchell and Hallahan at 33 and 41.

If a tall defender that we rate does not fall, maybe a tall forward will and we can move Waite to the backline.

In a finals team, i don't think Waite is either a KPD or a KPF.

He is however the perfect dangerous, match winning swingman.

So imo a KP is a must.

I'm kinda thinking we either hope someone like Mitchell slips to 33 or we have to go for Watson,McCarthy or Cook at 18 if they reach that far.

We also need a leading FF with great hands. Lucas Cook has played as CHF but has all the attributes to play FF well. He would complement Hendo going forward really well. To me he is the lock for 18, unless Caddy or Watson are there then it becomes tough.

If we go Cook at 18 we need to look at a defender and mid in the next 2 picks. I would also take the best available mid at 67. We aren't going to win a flag next year so we need to look at building the capabilities of the list. Cook is someone you could play at FF from round one and he may only kick 25 goals for the year but in 3 years he can be a 50-60 year full forward.
Darling could be available.

ROUND ONE

1 Gold Coast Suns: Swallow

2 Gold Coast Suns: Day

3 Gold Coast Suns: Bennell

4 West Coast Eagles: Gaff - raffle Gaff, Heppell and Atley

5 Brisbane Lions: Atley - need a quick and tall mid after losing Sherman, Rishitelli and Brennan. They have picks 25, 26 and 31 to use on medium forwards, tall forwards and utilities.

6 Richmond: Heppell - Or Gorringe who could complement Vickery.

7 Gold Coast Suns: Lynch - get another genuine big man to complement Day with May already listed. May and Darling might be too similar for them to pick the West Australian. They'd have a crazy collection of big men if Keath didn't take up a cricket contract.

8 Essendon: Caddy - If they don't pick a mid, their supporters will say they're nuts, but Gorringe would be a brave call and good fit for their list. Hille is no spring chicken.

9 Gold Coast Suns: Polec

10 Gold Coast Suns: McCarthy

11 Gold Coast Suns: Gorringe - have a few ruck projects, but will be an understudy to Fraser and Smith as he develops.

12 Melbourne: Darling/Lycett - Johnson, Gawn and Martin is all they have if their number one ruck falls over. Would kill for Lynch, but Gold Coast will get in first. Melbourne doesn't need more mids. Draft a ruck to develop as a complement to Jamar who might be Jolly's age when they're challenging. With Watts and Jurrah it for marking forwards, they also need a Lynch or Darling to play deep.

13 Gold Coast Suns: Watson - power defender to complement McCarthy as their version of Ben Reid and Nathan Brown.

14 Adelaide Crows: B.Smith - that muppet Rendell will probably look for a tall pacy jack of all trades, master of none mid with Dangerfield's decision making, pace and skill. They were interested in Grigg in 2006, so they love their flawed crowbots who can run.

15 Geelong Cats: Lycett/Smedts/Guthrie - Smedts is a versatile tall mid like Enright, Ling, Corey and Duncan. Have Hawkins and a young KPF in Mitch Brown developing in the VFL. Need hardness and leaders to suit Scott's game, so Guthrie could be picked here.

16 Port Adelaide: Darling/Aaron Young/Kieran Harper/Ben Jacobs - might want a tall half forward/running player because they chased Walker. Jacobs would bring back Stewart Dew's kicking boot back to Alberton oval. Along with the Demons, probably the biggest danger to get Darling who would give both sides the lead up forward they need.

17 North Melbourne: Pitt - outside speed and skill to complement their hard inside players.

18 Carlton: Darling/Mitchell/Cook - Send Waite to the backline if we draft Darling.

19 Hawthorn: Jed Lamb - medium forward after they cut Hooper, Petersen and Stokes.

20 Fremantle: Lucas Cook/Luke Mitchell/Patrick Karnezis - young forward to develop in the WAFL. If Karnezis is like Waite, he could be a good complement to Pav like Jarred Grant is to Hall.

Luke Parker
Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?

Carlton - my father and grandfather barrack for Carlton.
Luke Parker

Get Parker. :D

Not saying he's the answer, just that he'd do a better job than Bower at CHB. You are right about the 'doesn't know what he's doing' part. Last time he played CHB he did OK at playing one on one, but gave away stupid frees because he didn't know the rules properly. I'm hoping he's learned since then as it's been a few years since then. Other than moving Jammo to CHB and playing Bower at FB, I don't see we have any other options atm, do you? Do you actually think we can draft someone to slot straight in?

Don't think that we can draft a KPP to slot straight in, but the sooner we draft one, the quicker they'll slot in. If we keep going best available then chances are we are only ever going to get mids with our first pick and hope that some of the later picks deliver us a gem KPP.

Just being realistic here, we probably won't win the GF next year so why waste time putting Setanta there when we can draft a young KPD with potential and spend next year as another development year?

That way we can give it a red hot go in 2012 and onwards because we'll be getting Buckley next year no doubt about it so we'll have a good mix of yound mids and rucks with a young forward line and a relatively better backline that has a guy that can hold the power forwards to low scores? We've got Jammo and Bower to handle the athletic types and we've still got Austin and White who could improve.

With the aquisition of Laidler, Gibbs will probably go back to the midfield and we'll end up with Judd, Murphy, Gibbs, Simpson, Lucas, Buckley, Yarran, Walker, Collins, Joseph, Carrazzo, Ellard, McLean plus other mids we draft.

But as I said, IF we can get a courageous inside mid with decent disposal, speed and decision making then get him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TG - not sold on Darling. I don't think he will last until our pick anyway.

I like Darling and if he was at our pick I'd be inclined to pull the trigger. He would start up forward and go from there, if he struggled with his lack of height (only 1cm shorter than Fev) then I believe he has the talent to be a good midfielder.

Not sure that he would be able to compete in a KPF post but he has the marking and kicking power to give it a try. A tall midfielder wouldn't hurt.

I think the problem with Darling is that he is more of a body contact forward, which is hard to do in the AFL when you are 190cm standing on defenders at 194cm plus. The days of one on one contests are also retreating.

Fev is a great FF (albeit relatively short) because he is great on a lead.

I hope I am wrong about Darling but my gut says stay away.

I think the problem with Darling is that he is more of a body contact forward, which is hard to do in the AFL when you are 190cm standing on defenders at 194cm plus. The days of one on one contests are also retreating.

Fev is a great FF (albeit relatively short) because he is great on a lead.

I hope I am wrong about Darling but my gut says stay away.

All fair points. :thumbsu:

I wasn't really comparing Darling with Fev, more just a reflection of how we can sometimes read too much into the height of a player because it is not the be all and end all.

He is certainly a high risk high reward type pick and we may well steer clear on the off chance that he is available at our pick but he has a hell of a lot of talent.

On another note, how good would it be having Watson take our kick outs and pumping the ball 70 metres away from the goals!

If we draft him, I would love for him to become the general of our defense at some point. He has that presence about him, too bad he's as slow as treacle. :p

As much as we need to play whoever we draft in readiness for our 'window' we still need to balance making the finals so our current crop of players get greater experience in playing finals footy and has continuity and consistency throughout the season. There's little merit in playing all of our youngsters at once if we can't make the finals as we need to ensure we are building a winning culture.

As much as we need to play whoever we draft in readiness for our 'window' we still need to balance making the finals so our current crop of players get greater experience in playing finals footy and has continuity and consistency throughout the season. There's little merit in playing all of our youngsters at once if we can't make the finals as we need to ensure we are building a winning culture.

Thats the rub isn't it. Ideally whoever we draft we would like to see them come straight in and add value but realistically and particularly if we draft a KPP the chances of this happening next season would be low.

As good as Lucas was for us last year his body still didn't hold up to the increased physical demands.

Ready to go midfielders and the very rare ready to go KPP aside, unless we got a ready made state league player from somewhere, who we have on our list as it stands (minus upcoming delistees) is who we will be relying on to get us to the finals again.

What are peoples thoughts on Charlie Riewoldt? Not at #18 but at a later pick?

Could end up a gem like the other Riewoldts?
Dime-a-dozen medium/small player with a catchy last name. A great prospect like Josh Green who was in the top three players in the TSL seniors GF is tipped to possiby go after pick 30. Riewoldt didn't make the team for that game, or the reserves team either. He played in the under 18s and had an ok game. I'd be surprised if he even gets rookie listed to be honest.

Why would he slip to pick 18? Can you tell me his disadvantages? Thanks.

Because there are 17 higher rated players??? ;)

Height would be the main knock, the highly rated inside mids these days seem to be around the 186-88cm mark with some burst speed..... his disposal is neat but lacks some real punch and hurt factor.

Because there are 17 higher rated players??? ;)

Height would be the main knock, the highly rated inside mids these days seem to be around the 186-88cm mark with some burst speed..... his disposal is neat but lacks some real punch and hurt factor.

Interesting, I remember reading somewhere that he's 182cm, so he'd be around the same height as Joel Selwood.

Do you think there's any chance he'll slide to 33?

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Draft Pick #18

Remove this Banner Ad

Back