Review Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

No. Its his vision because his quote also states that he can also play all over the ground:

Derek Hine says: "He plays 360 degrees, makes really good decisions and plays forward, back and midfield. He can play forward in his own right. His exposure to the elite pathway system has also been light so (there’s) plenty of scope."
Yep. It's the reason Hine has a penchant for taking former basketballers. They tend to have an excellent awareness of what's going on around them.

I believe Maynard is this years pick who used to play junior elite basketball :D

Thanks for the link Vankri. I watched the first half. Really good, pressured contest. Pies fans will love the passage about mid way thru the second when game very much in the balance and Moore gathers on the wing/flank and spears it long inside fifty where De Goey runs on to it while being pressured and keeps his balance beautifully to soccer the goal. Seems a really good synchronicity between the two players when playing forward, they both almost look senior relevant already which is great.

De Goey seems to play more off the contest when in the middle. Seems to back himself to read the tap or get second possession. Maybe he's been instructed to play that way because he has a penetrating kick so you don't necessarily want him bottom of the pack.

A few nice things from Goodyear as well in the first.

Will try to watch the second tomorrow and also keen to hear other people's thoughts if they get around to watching.
Liked for using the term 'synchronicity'

Yep. It's the reason Hine has a penchant for taking former basketballers. They tend to have an excellent awareness of what's going on around them.

I believe Maynard is this years pick who used to play junior elite basketball :D

This whole basketball thing is weird and doesn't make any sense. AFL is a 360 game as well. So how are people any better at that coming from basketball than people who played football. If you natural have no awareness around you then it doesn't matter if you play basketball or not it won't help.

Why though?

I've been of the opinion for a few years now that although they get goals & look fantastic for a highlights reel during the season they get stifled during finals & a Jamie Elliott is more the type you want. He has all the tools, some better than others (better mark than crumber so far) & can provide top notch pressure even if he's being limited by the opposing backman.

What do I know though, I'm in the camp that Reid is fragile/prone to injuries but that stats say otherwise, classic case of stats not telling the whole pic.

There is that train of thought so your not alone in that opinion, I guess the best ones can roll up the ground to get touches even when "off".

Having a Bruest or Rioli enhances a team both have gone well in GFs. Ditto Motlop. Varcoe and many others.

Im calling this now.

By next year
-maynard will be in the top 5 first year midfielders in the comp.
-petracca will struggle

While some might like to remind us we know far less than Hine and Co.:pone thing I and many posters got completely right well before draft day is that we lacked for players in that mid ranged bracket between 184cm-189cm.

Well Derek must have been thinking along those same lines to a degree as well as the net result is all the midfielders/flankers taken yesterday were 185cm and above.

Is the Collingwood six footer finally dead?

I hope so.
Since drafting Witts & Cox, we now have Collingwood 7 footers.

It wouldn't surprise me if Maynard played bball with Brodie, Brodie played for Sturt basketball club and I remember Braydens brother Corey use to play there at a high level so I think they might've played together back in the day over here!

Im calling this now.

By next year
-maynard will be in the top 5 first year midfielders in the comp.
-petracca will struggle

If the footage of Petracca's first day of training is anything to go I wouldn't be shocked if this was the case.

Interesting to see the first rounders kiss and cuddle in the video. Another year where best mates are picked. We did the South Australian boys a couple of years back. I like it if it's a strategy. It might have been something that got de goey over the line.

I'm also happy that we steering clear of hobbits. In fact, we seem to be going for boys that are above average in height. I like that too
I agree but now I'm a little concerned that we only have 2 mids over 188cm. It's the footy forum tendency to pick a random height that suits your argument to make your point.

Prior to this draft and trade period the height issues from posters changed from players below 180cm, to players below 181cm as posters realised Adams and now newbies in Varcoe and Greenwood were all 181cm.

Are there any 189cm+ mids in the rookie draft?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This whole basketball thing is weird and doesn't make any sense. AFL is a 360 game as well. So how are people any better at that coming from basketball than people who played football. If you natural have no awareness around you then it doesn't matter if you play basketball or not it won't help.
It's because basketball is played in much tighter confines as far as disposal is concerned. Due to the size of the court and the nature of the game you have to retain and pass the ball in any direction possible. In football, you have always the option of just mindlessly hacking the ball forward by hand or by foot (to no-one) just to gain metres. There is no gaining meters in basketball and it's all about retaining possession.

I was going to write a detailed response to this, but Kirby beat me to it. Pretty much sums up the theory of it.

School of thought that the smaller playing surface for basketball creates enhanced spacial and player awareness, and develops agility because of the lateral movement. You are right though, footballers should have similar traits, basketball just gives an opportunity to hone them.

There is that train of thought so your not alone in that opinion, I guess the best ones can roll up the ground to get touches even when "off".

Having a Bruest or Rioli enhances a team both have gone well in GFs. Ditto Motlop. Varcoe and many others.
I guess it depends on your own personal opinion on what a crumber is. I think of one trick ponies like Milne, when in a GF i want a Happy Chappy.

Im wrapped.

I cant find the post, but about a week ago i said i wanted either laverde or de goey at 5, and Maynard or Blakely at 30.

I wouldve liked to have pulled the trigger on mckenzie at 75 but we clearly just didnt rate him.

Also wanted a small forward at 48, but goodyear seems to have some talent so ill reserve judgement on that one.

It was clearly a needs based draft for us and we have plugged some holes.

List is probably lacking a bit of x factor, but that may change if elliott, fasolo, freeman, kennedy, broomhead, crisp, varcoe and seedsman have good years

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...ft-review-thread.1082299/page-4#post-36181572

Easy to find via search function with posted by limited to your username and Maynard in search options. I couldn't quote it as in a closed thread.

Congrats on your call and getting what you wanted!

Why though?

I've been of the opinion for a few years now that although they get goals & look fantastic for a highlights reel during the season they get stifled during finals & a Jamie Elliott is more the type you want. He has all the tools, some better than others (better mark than crumber so far) & can provide top notch pressure even if he's being limited by the opposing backman.

What do I know though, I'm in the camp that Reid is fragile/prone to injuries but that stats say otherwise, classic case of stats not telling the whole pic.

That's a myth.

The point is Dave, that she gets a hell of a lot more wrong than she does get right.

If you link a bunch of different players to a team, you'll eventually get one right, and she certainly wasn't the first to link us to DeGoey.

The point is Dave, that she gets a hell of a lot more wrong than she does get right.

If you link a bunch of different players to a team, you'll eventually get one right, and she certainly wasn't the first to link us to DeGoey.

Well - Isn’t that the Same as other Journo’s?

They all pretty Much Guess on what they hear from same as Paige

Well - Isn’t that the Same as other Journo’s?

They all pretty Much Guess on what they hear from same as Paige
Paige, for the most part, just repeats what other real journos say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back