Review Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we need to look at the last three drafts together to get a grasp of what Hine & Co are compiling:
Grundy
Kennedy
Broomhead
Scharenburg
Freeman
Langdon
Moore
De Goey
Maynard

There is a high chance all nine of these guys will be best 22 within 2 years, that is an outstanding effort in maximising the most out of what you have got. Outside of GWS & GC (for obvious reasons) and perhaps Melbourne I think we will have the best collection of youngsters going forward. This is quite amazing given our ladder position over those years.

I think that's really key to looking at the drafts, taking a look at all the recent ones together to get a good picture of what might be the long term goal. I recall Hine talking last year about the quality of the 2015 draft and thinking to myself how much information he already has on kids two years away and how much planning goes into selecting long term options that will also in turn complement potential selections at the end of next year, strikes me as one of those painting that you only really appreciate when you stand a suitable distance away instead of nit-picking each individual brush-stroke.

While some might like to remind us we know far less than Hine and Co.:pone thing I and many posters got completely right well before draft day is that we lacked for players in that mid ranged bracket between 184cm-189cm.

Well Derek must have been thinking along those same lines to a degree as well as the net result is all the midfielders/flankers taken yesterday were 185cm and above.

Is the Collingwood six footer finally dead?

I hope so.

While some might like to remind us we know far less than Hine and Co.:pone thing I and many posters got completely right well before draft day is that we lacked for players in that mid ranged bracket between 184cm-189cm.

Well Derek must have been thinking along those same lines to a degree as well as the net result is all the midfielders/flankers taken yesterday were 185cm and above.

Is the Collingwood six footer finally dead?

I hope so.

And that a couple of them can kick.

I think De Goey all round is a solid pick and one who will be in our best 22 sooner rather than later. I don't think his ceiling is as high as others, however I think we will be quite happy with what he brings. Certainly a low risk pick and there is nothing wrong with this. I see him playing forward like Beams did and then progressing to the midfield.

I really like the look of Maynard, love his left foot and follows a much needed theme over the last 2 years of guys who can kick the ball properly - De Goey fits this mould too. Maynard I can definitely see doing damage off half back in an area we really needed some help.

Goodyear we will just have to wait & see but back in Hine & Co here.

Surprised Laverde was left so late, but that indicated there are risks associated with picking him, he could be special he could be just so so. Wright is the other that people will be watching. I think had Darcy Moore not been there we would have picked him. Pickett is another I would have loved but GWS were smart enough to scoop him up.

I think we need to look at the last three drafts together to get a grasp of what Hine & Co are compiling:
Grundy
Kennedy
Broomhead
Scharenburg
Freeman
Langdon
Moore
De Goey
Maynard

There is a high chance all nine of these guys will be best 22 within 2 years, that is an outstanding effort in maximising the most out of what you have got. Outside of GWS & GC (for obvious reasons) and perhaps Melbourne I think we will have the best collection of youngsters going forward. This is quite amazing given our ladder position over those years.

You can add Marsh to that list for mine.

Developed nicely this year in the VFL.

This is spot on. Whenever I wonder if our guys have got it right I think back to Pendles being drafted and remember thinking "What the F" at the time only to be followed a few months later by "What the F did you think you knew GC" as I bagged myself for ever thinking I had any real idea at all.
Just out of interest, because I wasn't reading BF back then. Why did people not like the Pendlebury pick? I love hearing stories like this!

Who writes "The Collingwood Blog"? Cos they are the most intelligent Pie writer on the net.

Bloke by the name of J. Burnett. Has been known to go by the pseudonym The 10th Letter around these parts also.

And yes, I agree, best independent Collingwood supporter analyst currently writing online, in my opinion.

So, we're happy overall? Sorry, been on planes and catching up on sleep for what seems like an eternity. Just need to get a feel for this while I have some WiFi.

I think seeing Laverde slide to 20 is a big surprise. Might have interviewed poorly or tested poorly in his medical maybe? Reeks of something the general public is unaware of, in my opinion. Although, could be this year's Grundy.

Passing on Blakely is disappointing but Maynard is good isn't he??

De Goey is mates with Darcy and his mum a Pies supporter. Looks like a work horse, happy enough, he was on my personal short list for pick 5.

Goodyear is a surprise packet, hoping for the best! Will read up about him.

I'm not disappointed on the whole, but think Blakely would've made it a HUGE win, so that sucks.

I'm not so sure Hine believes his ceiling isn't that high. He did make a point of noting that De Goey hadn't had a big amount of top level exposure compared to a lot of other prospects.
Was interesting to hear in Hine's draft wrap up that he had a hard on for De Goey since seeing him as a first year player at the start of last year and wanted to hide him in a cupboard so we could get him. Big wraps on the kid.
This is a little disturbing... De Goey was only 16 at the start of last year. I didn't pick Hine to swing that way and it makes me wonder what other skeletons he has in his closet.

This is a little disturbing... De Goey was only 16 at the start of last year. I didn't pick Hine to swing that way and it makes me wonder what other skeletons he has in his closet.
He watches boys running around in short shorts for a living.

That is all I'll say :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dare say Dayne Beams leaving completely changed our draft selections. I'm sure if he had of stayed we may have taken a chance on a Laverde or Cockatoo early but we just played it safe.

Indeed.

When we traded Beams, we had 1 player out (Beams) and 3 players in (De Goey, Greenwood, Crisp)

If Beams stayed we'd obviously have no De Goey, but we would have been forced to use pick 75, with another 2 optional picks after that.

Just out of interest, because I wasn't reading BF back then. Why did people not like the Pendlebury pick? I love hearing stories like this!

I wasn't on BF then but I can remember when Pendles was taken that year and was following the draft pretty closely. It's usually brought out every year as 'exhibit A' as to why we shouldn't make assumptions about certain draftees based on media and social media hype. Basically the assumption was that Xavier Ellis was the smart pick and he was showing the most of a small group of possibilities as the best safest option for us around our picks. Pendlebury was seen as more speculative because he was still growing into the game. He was being talked of more as a basketballer cum footballer with potential who was somewhere in the top 15 or 20 but not someone you'd risk a top 5 pick on necessarily. He wasn't really one of the 'sexy' picks getting talked about frequently in the media. Part of the folklore which may be true - and I'm sure someone can assist - is that the Richmond recruiting staff were mocking our selection at the time. Which of course is priceless when you reflect on it now.

To be fair to Ellis he has had an OK career and played in a flag. I feel more sorry for Richard Tambling TBH.

It's fun to look back on previous drafts with Hine because you can start to see a pattern in his modus operandi - he clearly loves players with scope, ex basketballers, kids who've had exposure to senior footy and kids who've performed well in a grand final situation. In some ways it's a good set of criteria he applies. I don't think Hine is like God or anything but I do really admire him, or anyone who does their job well through thoroughness, due diligence and a clear, honest process. We are lucky to have such a good team. Shame we can't poach OUR Graham Wright back as well!

I wasn't on BF then but I can remember when Pendles was taken that year and was following the draft pretty closely. It's usually brought out every year as 'exhibit A' as to why we shouldn't make assumptions about certain draftees based on media and social media hype. Basically the assumption was that Xavier Ellis was the smart pick and he was showing the most of a small group of possibilities as the best safest option for us around our picks. Pendlebury was seen as more speculative because he was still growing into the game. He was being talked of more as a basketballer cum footballer with potential who was somewhere in the top 15 or 20 but not someone you'd risk a top 5 pick on necessarily. He wasn't really one of the 'sexy' picks getting talked about frequently in the media. Part of the folklore which may be true - and I'm sure someone can assist - is that the Richmond recruiting staff were mocking our selection at the time. Which of course is priceless when you reflect on it now.

To be fair to Ellis he has had an OK career and played in a flag. I feel more sorry for Richard Tambling TBH.

It's fun to look back on previous drafts with Hine because you can start to see a pattern in his modus operandi - he clearly loves players with scope, ex basketballers, kids who've had exposure to senior footy and kids who've performed well in a grand final situation. In some ways it's a good set of criteria he applies. I don't think Hine is like God or anything but I do really admire him, or anyone who does their job well through thoroughness, due diligence and a clear, honest process. We are lucky to have such a good team. Shame we can't poach OUR Graham Wright back as well!
Yep, their head recruiter reportedly walked around the tables laughing and telling everyone we f****d up the draft, and then promptly took Jarrod Oakley-Nicholls with their first pick after watching a highlights package of him on YouTube.

lel

Win some, lose some.

I remember being over the moon with the Pendlebury pick and feeling a bit shattered we'd picked Thomas over Ellis.

Yep, their head recruiter reportedly walked around the tables laughing and telling everyone we f****d up the draft, and then promptly took Jarrod Oakley-Nicholls with their first pick after watching a highlights package of him on YouTube.

lel

One of the great joys of middle adulthood for me has been watching Richmond, and to a greater extent Carlton turn into cartoonishly stupid parodies of their former selves. You could almost cue the Benny Hill music when Richmond select at the draft table. So I do love this story.

I'm not naturally malicious but if you'd grown up in the 70s and 80s these were two clubs that just thought they knew it all, had it all, owned it all. Carlton especially. It's so great to see their former smart arse-ness visited back on them with interest. And it can go on for another 20 years as far as I'm concerned. Richmond maybe I have some greater sympathy for as they're my Dads team. Carlton - don't you go changin!

Last edited:
Not happy about the haircuts, since 2006 I have associated bad hair with good draft picks. De Goey the only half-crap cut in there.
Really? I reckon both his and Darcy's haircuts are abominations.

Therefore, they will both be brownlow medalists!

At least - lord be praised - the beard thing seems to have cooled off for now.

As a general comment on club culture I think a few clubs players, again Richmond and Carlton spring readily to mind, spend way too much time thinking about their hair style.

On the Collingwood front, I'd like a seminar for all our new guys 'Tattooes - it's a long term decision' or 'Tattooes - less is more'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back