Review Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to laugh at everyone who isn't keen on the lads we picked up because they weren't in some "expert's" phantom draft.

Everyone just plays follow the leader with most of those shitty lists and before you know it you've got everyone hyped for some kid who no one had heard of 20 minutes earlier.
Northern Knights players, always...

I reckon De Goey and Maynard are perfect fits for us. Good inside-outside mids, who win their own ball, can kick and have bigger bodies that will compliment our best short people. Every chance to get some time off a flank early.

Moore is raw, but a gun who can basically play anywhere on the spine.

Goodyear, not so enthused about, but the odds of pick 48 not being a bust are pretty low.

We should be happy with our emerging ruck division, we've got Greenwood in to help Pendles and Swanny, Adams another pre-season on to replace Bally, Varcoe is a good outside finisher (despite being a bit weak physically), got a couple of 185+cm inside/outside mids with good kicks, sured up the spine (which is already pretty good) and might get some luck hopefully with injuries (pre-seasons for Fasolo, Broomy and Kennedy will be handy) and can unwrap Freeman (and eventually Scharenberg).

Whilst we mightn't present as the most skilled or quick team, we will sure as shit be annoying to play due to the intensive pressure that the majority of our team has. Some cause for optimism, not only for 2016, but also as early as next year.

Have to laugh at everyone who isn't keen on the lads we picked up because they weren't in some "expert's" phantom draft.

Everyone just plays follow the leader with most of those shitty lists and before you know it you've got everyone hyped for some kid who no one had heard of 20 minutes earlier.

It's a bordering on ridiculous, people disappointed with our haul cause we overlooked a forward picked at 77...jeeez.

I do have to laugh at people like me (no idea, seen 3 minute clips) who get upset that our professional recruiters (and most other teams recruiters) overlooked a couple of BF love children (Mckenzie, Cavka, Laverde). Even funnier is the winners & losers of the draft thread on the draft board.

Everyone is welcome to an opinion and some of the players may turn into good AFL footballers. I just think we should be backing in our very well performed recruiters.

Fwiw, I think we've addressed a need. We've recruited some smaller midfielders recently and now we've balanced it up with some big lads. Now we just have to hope they develop well and we're looking good. Fingers crossed in 3 years time a midfield rotation of Pendlebury, Greenwood, Adams, Kennedy, Broomhead, Sidebottom, Freeman, De Goey & Maynard is a great mix.
We know our rucks will be strong too.

I'd rate this draft 1/10 based on the few seconds I watched of a few youtube clips.

I remember most people being bewildered when we took Pendles at pick 5. I think lots of people will again have egg on their faces in due course. Our guys are very good at what they do. I'll back em in all day every day.

I remember most people being bewildered when we took Pendles at pick 5. I think lots of people will again have egg on their faces in due course. Our guys are very good at what they do. I'll back em in all day every day.

All 3 look solid selections, just wish we traded pick 75 Pass in for Mckenzie wouldn't of hurt to take him that far out in the draft. Club is kidding itself if it thinks a developing tall KPF is not needed either this year or next to time it right for when Cloke ages.

All 3 look solid selections, just wish we traded pick 75 Pass in for Mckenzie wouldn't of hurt to take him that far out in the draft. Club is kidding itself if it thinks a developing tall KPF is not needed either this year or next to time it right for when Cloke ages.

Yeah might be an attitude issue. Even his old mans team passed instead of taking him & tigers were not in full agreement on selecting him at their table it seemed. Must be more to it than meets the eye.

OK...Jordan Degoey...fair enough lets give him a great welcome and all the other lads too. We wont know how the draft went for 2 years.
Degoey could be a Bartel type I feel...hopefully.
The rest are all promising.
Looks like V Rainbow has a special X factor. Geelong have gambled.
Me, I will support all the guys but still say that Wright or Laverde would have been my pick. Hines and his team make the decisions so lets support the decision until we can assess it.
Lets also remember that looking at things REALISTICALLY doesn't equate to NEGATIVITY.
Show me a good loser and Ill show you a loser ....go pies

We seemed to have gone for the safe picks rather than try to unearth a star.

What's wrong with this? We could do with a bit of safe right now. Draft picks are no guarantee, but ready to play, or near to ready to play, midfielders and backs is exactly what we need. We can start speculating in a couple of years when we have set up the steady consistent base players that we need.

Yep. Hine, Rendell and co will have seen infinately more of both the kids we drafted and the kids we didn't and had behind the scenes access, and so will be in possession of a lot more information for them. Hine mentioned that he's been very keen on De Goey for two years, and reading between the lines, from the time we had the second first round selection it was always going to be De Goey for us unless another club took him before our selection.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also the bits I've read about them since the draft they all seem to have some good defensive ability, which has been quite a deficiency in our midfield over the last couple of seasons.

Wasn’t Pendles was the 1 say we had 1 way runners but Maynard and De Goey can run both ways

I'm hoping they're going to try to snag Sam Weideman next year and figured McKenzie would be surplus to their needs :straining:

Wasn’t Pendles was the 1 say we had 1 way runners but Maynard and De Goey can run both ways
I know Pendle's definitely accused our midfield of 'cheating' which I think was in reference to their one way and their habit to run forward of the ball, rather than stay back to be able to apply defensive pressure.

Chris Pelchen was definitely a fan of our selections last night

What about Collingwood? The Magpies will have come out of this draft with a smile that only Eddie McGuire could match when giving away a “million dollars” on television. To attract one of the year’s surest talents in De Goey, followed by versatile big man Moore, and then complement that with Brayden Maynard and Matthew Goodyear,is like stealing the best young dance troupe from an opposition circus.

So who were the winners and losers of the 2014 NAB AFL Draft?

There were several clubs who have come away as the ringmasters of this year’s show.

Relative to their selections in the draft, Gold Coast, Collingwood, Essendon, Melbourne, GWS, St Kilda and West Coast stand out as the teams who should pack up their tents for the trip home with the biggest smiles on their faces.

Listening to De Goey speak is brilliant - great video TD.

When I met him [Bucks] on stage obviously it was a massive whirlwind and I said to him "I'll never let you down" and that's something that I live by and I won't let the Collingwood fans down.

You love to hear that, that isn't your usual draftee tripe either. I reckon we've nailed Pick 5 to the wall here - thanks Bears! Everyone should watch this video, highlights how good De Goey is going to be, and how much of a leader Moore already is.

Stoked with this draft crop.

You love to hear that, that isn't your usual draftee tripe either. I reckon we've nailed Pick 5 to the wall here - thanks Bears! Everyone should watch this video, highlights how good De Goey is going to be, and how much of a leader Moore already is.

I think there was even a fist pump from Jordan when we called his name. He sounds like he is so excited to be joining Darcy at the pies. Interesting coming from a bombers supporter but then who would want to go there atm

Agree - Gotta Love that Attitude

I think there was even a fist pump from Jordan when we called his name. He sounds like he is so excited to be joining Darcy at the pies. Interesting coming from a bombers supporter but then who would want to go there atm

Darcy was absolutely over the moon, and it sounded like in the lead up De Goey was really hoping to make it to the Pies.

400 games between them, mark my words.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Draft Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back