Draper and cohort concerned

Remove this Banner Ad

I call it a kick in the ass

FFS people need to toughen the **** up

How would some of these young player have played under Kerls, Hafey, Parkin etc

Honestly have we become that soft

There is time to support, but there are times you need tough love, he’s had plenty of support - it was tine for tough love

I’ll go as far as saying - it will be the making of him as a player and as a leader

Harden uo people

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I just think it's incredible that you didn't use the word "woke". I can feel it's presence though.

How would some of these young player have played under Kerls, Hafey, Parkin etc

Honestly have we become that soft

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The likes of Kerley, Hafey and Parkin would either have to adapt to modern sensibilities, or would get chewed up and spat out in today's game.

Also, it's not soft to not simply sit back and accept being humiliated and embarrassed for no good reason.

Well if there's no truth behind it, surely the club should at least take some kind of legal action? Arguably as damaging to our brand as anything that's come out this year, which is saying a lot
It doesn’t really damage the Crows though if they know it isn’t true, Money is not well regarded within the industry. Draper is absolutely happy to go to the Eagles, which discredits the story immediately anyway. This comes from a recruiter that has spoken with Draper many times over the last couple of years and knows his character.

Well, well, well. Who'd have thunk that a bunch of inept senior players having crap years teeing off on a kid for enjoying his footy would have consequences.

I would imagine the brains trust of Nix, Roo and Kelly would be wondering whether we can punish young Sid before we draft him or will we have to wait till draft night?

I dont blame them at all. Senior players hung a kid out to dry because we lost a game and they had could blame someone. There is no doubt in my mind that our internal AFL industry reputation sucks right now. Easily the worst in the AFL. It is definitely clear now that we have players talking against the club behind the scenes, and I dont blame them. Managers are clearly in the ears of the kids advising them.

The positive with the draft is it counts for naught.

Now this is the worrying part from an AFL perspective. This looks every bit of draft tampering. There is no way the camp would have spoken to the media unless they had an agenda. No reason at all for the media to go chasing that story on its own on grand final week. The only link would be trade week. Why would it matter on trade week. Melbourne have pick 5, I wonder if they have offered draper a higher contract and draper has been asked to sew the seeds of doubt so Adelaide trade pick 4 for Oliver. Or Essendon have a deal in place to get higher in the draft order.

Either way it smells and I believe the AFL should investigate. No draftee should be voicing concerns not even family or friends about any club.

The AFL needs to be stricter on this generally. I dont care from a crows perspective but every year now we see players and their families find concerns with some clubs and air them publicly. To me thats draft tampering. I would not be against the AFL coming out strong and banning players from the draft combine and ban them from club interviews. Or if it happens in the lead in to the draft, ban them altogether from the draft for the year. Its a privilege not a right. And I think some players and families are trying work arounds to get to preferred destinations and no doubt some clubs are involved. Essendon and Melbourne are conveniently both clubs with midfield issues. Now Draper says this and wants to be at a large Melbourne based club. Come on.

Regardless of whether Sid actually holds those views, the fact this rumour's actually believable is a serious indictment on the club.

An even bigger indictment on the club is the fact the Rachele saga happened so publicly in the first place.

Well yes and no. A young kid should only be worried about being drafted. As I said, there is no reason that story would be chased at this time of year. Something is up and someone leaked this deliberately leading into trade week.

Surprising ANB is so keen to get to the Crows given he's also with the same management team as Sid Draper?

They couldn't have clued ANB up it seems.
ANB will be fine as he will be part of the protected experienced players... wheras any new draftee will be part of the sanfl or 1 quarter sub if going well...

Well yes and no. A young kid should only be worried about being drafted. As I said, there is no reason that story would be chased at this time of year. Something is up and someone leaked this deliberately leading into trade week.
Agree, my comment is more around what a calamity the Rachele thing was for the club as a whole, and how damaging it could be to our perception from the wider footy audience. And so needless.

We have had toxic administrations and football departments over the last 20 years but this group has taken it to another level.

Remember when you buy your membership for next year you are a huge part of the problem as you are effectively supporting their disgusting behavior.

They will not get another cent out of my family.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually don't think it'll matter in the end and the Eagles will draft him based on them having a very good retention rate of SAers.

That's missing the point by a very long way. It doesn't matter where he ends up or whether we were even interested in him. For this type of information to leak out is exceedingly rare, players like Bailey Smith or Cyril Rioli tanking interviews is massive news. For a player's management group to allow their concerns about a club's method of dealing with younger players to come out is rare air. And it's not out of nowhere, numerous posters on this board have suggested how we treated Rachele suggested a massive structural/cultural problem.

But you can turn a blind eye if it helps.

The club let it play out publically, embarassing rash to the comp. thats not proper football clubs like geelong and hawthorn delt with ginnivan and stengle.
Spot on. We could have been as tough as we wanted behind closed doors but publically we should have backed him in

It was handled atrociously and all about the ego of our no hoper coach and never-will-be senior players.

Spot on. We could have been as tough as we wanted behind closed doors but publically we should have backed him in

It was handled atrociously and all about the ego of our no hoper coach and never-will-be senior players.
Maybe they tried this internally and think Rachele can handle it (he seems like the type of player who can).

Remove this Banner Ad

Draper and cohort concerned

Remove this Banner Ad

Back