Drug innuendo: Post all comments here. Previous threads merged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Can someone please explain to me what's going on?

Maybe your mods should have been a bit more protective of there beloved club. Ours are ensuring that fact and commonsense prevail in a situation that in very sensitive to many who visit this board.

There's been no evidence of players ignoring club requests to sort themselves out, being linked to criminals by police, running from booze buses or getting into altercations with cab drivers. This seems to be about 2 players who were at a clinic to get help and someone has leaked the info. BIG difference.

Remember - there are others who are on two strikes - they'll be seating that something like this doesn't happen to them.

Pretty scummy act by someone after $$$ is seems. Obviously not a Hawthorn supporter.

Do you feel the same towards people who drink or who are gay or Jewish or Negro American or Collingwood supporters?

Or how about those that need to take so called illicit drugs just to stay alive - do you feel the same about them? or is it ok for them because they are dying?

Haha.. Collingwood supporters! I mean.. negro american. Funny! I think you mean African American, just to be politically correct! ;)

Do you feel the same towards people who drink or who are gay or Jewish or Negro American or Collingwood supporters?

Or how about those that need to take so called illicit drugs just to stay alive - do you feel the same about them? or is it ok for them because they are dying?

ummmm....what?
last time i checked it wasn't illegal to be gay, Jewish, Negro or go for Collingwood (though the last one should be changed). And i really doubt the football players that are taking the stuff are dieing...... Sorry if this post was sarcastic hard to tell on the internet

I left for work at 6:05 last night so I am assuming that some people may not have heard at all what actually did happen yesterday or were in other states or overseas and missed it. So I will explain what the story said basically for those who missed it although players and clubs can't be mentioned at all in any way as is said by the court injunction which I understand was at 6:06 (surely about 6 minutes too late).

In the actual story, the club was named (although it can't be named any more, well at the moment), no players were named or implied at all in the report and were reffered to as player X.

Dylan Howard (the reporter who named Braun) broke a story on channel 7. That he had recieved documents from a woman that she illegadly found outside an ivanhoe clinic. These documents pertained to 2 players from the same AFL club who had sought some sort of councelling/rehab at this clinic. In this document apart from the 2 players it also contained information about what the patient/doctor had discussed. It said that up to 7 players engaged in illicit drug use as well as these 2 players. The club in question has denied knowledge of the incident and any drug problems or positive tests. The report tended to suggest that the 2 players had tested positive under the AFL drug tests.

This report was apparently found in the gutter outside the clinic. The woman claims to have tried to hand it back to the clinic due to the sensative nature of the documents and that she couldn't because it was locked, then after days of apparentley grappling with the ethical issues she offered it to channel 7 for a price. The woman said she realised the nature of the document because the 2 players named were known to her and were well known names. The document has been verified because of the players names not only but the fact that the club doctor of the club in question has also been named in the document. Also channel 7 and its lawyers would have made sure the document was near concrete in its claims before it was released in a major news bulletein.

Later I heard Dylan Howard on 3aw say that as soon as the woman picked up the document that she knew the players because they were household names. There was some reference about 2004, although I'm not sure where that came in exactly if it was in reference to the 2 senior players or the 7 illeged younger group.

Therse a few strange slants to this story.

Patient confidentiality is one thing but on top of that we assume the other '5' of the '7' named were not patients. Why are their names in the documentation at all ?

Makes me wonder oif there were just the 2 names in the documentation (if it is not just a story in itself) - and the reporter has suspicions about the others and has 'added' to the story.

Lets face it from some reports AFL players dont seem to try to hide the alleged abuse in public. It would be common knowledge its just this reporter needs a 'pretext' to get his editor to run with the story.

In fact I wonder if its the true story at all - was the documentation found when the 'unnamed club' clearsd its offices out recently - there was a stink about the confidential documents found in that incident.

Well now Hawks supporters will know what it feels like with this drug thing hanging over the clubs head. I was at the footy last night to see West Coast and St. Kilda and there were so many idiots yell stuff about drugs out. I think it is very childish but it will be interesting to see if it is the same for your club.
I'm sure a lot of supporters were shaking their heads at Ben Cousins so think about what you've been saying about him and then think about your own drug problem.
I think that Cousins was clearly in the wrong by the way but he is obviously trying to make up for his mistakes. I do hope though that their names don't come out because that would be unfair.

Yes Pessi. The difference is that the Hawks have done nothing wrong.

The beat-up in here and all other places is nothing but appalling.

Let's move onto better things, like beating the Doggies, the Swans and our finals matches.

Pleeeaaaase everyone!!! Why not use our typing fingers on the positives.

My pledge here is: I'll not be discussing the hogwash issue any further.

Let's move onto better things, like beating the Doggies, the Swans and our finals matches.

Um.. Ur.. mm.. Hawthorn are great because we, um.. er.. have good players? And mm.. er.. Josh Thurgood? ;)

My hope is that the boys run out together tomorrow as a band of brothers and keep their finals dream alive. Those involved in the allegations owe it to their team mates. Go Hawks!

Do you feel the same towards people who drink or who are gay or Jewish or Negro American or Collingwood supporters?Or how about those that need to take so called illicit drugs just to stay alive - do you feel the same about them? or is it ok for them because they are dying?

This is the either the most hair-brained post of the year, or ironic comic genius. People can't choose their race or sexual preference - they can however choose to use drugs, or not use drugs.

And please, enlighten everyone, which terminally ill people use cocaine or disco bikkies to 'stay alive', assuming you're not making some obscure reference to dancing like John Travolta?

Perhaps some posters need to take a bit of a reality check and get away from the keyboard and have a little bit of a think about things.

Nothing has changed at all for the unamed club. Channel 7 promised me that these allegations would rock the AFL to it's core. Why? How? Their allegations are only some sort of alleged rabid confirmation of what the AFL has already told us - that 20 odd players have tested positive for recreactional drugs once and 3 have tested positive twice.

Hardly mind blowing stuff - Channel 7 has the scoop on something that the governing body has been proactive in releasing information to the public.

These things happened prior to the season starting. It has had no impact on the unamed club even whilst the players concerned had been informed. Their performances certainly haven't mirrored drug addicts spiralling out of control.

So what or where is the story?

Perhaps we should be looking at the people responsible for bringing this load of absolute hogwash to the attention of the public and their motives. That is where the real story is.

We've got nothing to worry about with 7 story

There's no more for Hawthorn to worry about than any other team.
The info will be supressed forever due to privacy and patient/doctor confidentiality.
The situation at Hawthorn is typical of the situation at all team and this was confirmed to me today by a recently EX (not Hawk) AFL player.
There is some recreational drug use by a minority or players at all the clubs just as there is in society in general for that age bracket.
It's as simple as that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: We've got nothing to worry about with 7 story

There's no more for Hawthorn to worry about than any other team.
The info will be supressed forever due to privacy and patient/doctor confidentiality.
The situation at Hawthorn is typical of the situation at all team and this was confirmed to me today by a recently EX (not Hawk) AFL player.
There is some recreational drug use by a minority or players at all the clubs just as there is in society in general for that age bracket.
It's as simple as that.

then why the fcuk did channel 7 run with the storey and why did that bitch sell the documents and why were the documents left on the ground.........

there are questions that need answers, are there people out there that hate hawthorn this much

hawthorn has been named and it will forever be labelled drug cheats by the outer...

i,m still pissd of about this whole storey

RE: West Coast comparisons...

The difference is that the Hawks have done nothing wrong.
Absolutely correct at this point in time.

I expect the punches to keep coming but not to cut deep.

If I'm correct we're going in unchanged against Footscray, thats a good sign to me. As for the Swans, they're beatable at the SCG - but thats a discussion point for tomorrow night.

POSITIVES.

I haven't discussed it yet Gary and I don't intend to until the facts are known and explanations delivered.

Re: We've got nothing to worry about with 7 story

then why the fcuk did channel 7 run with the storey and why did that bitch sell the documents and why were the documents left on the ground.........

there are questions that need answers, are there people out there that hate hawthorn this much

hawthorn has been named and it will forever be labelled drug cheats by the outer...

i,m still pissd of about this whole storey

If you believe that story you'll believe anything. Seriously its kinda funny chan 7 would think of an excuse so dodgey. It seems I'm not the only one who thinks the story of "a lady finding the document in the gutter" is rubbish. There are claims it has now been stolen and was offered to many other media outlets whom refused to buy or publish it (The Age). Love to see Today Tonight cover this one for Chan 7....and I suspect they might be in a bit of strife.

Drug cheats? If it was performance enhancing drugs then they have no place in this competition and yeh we can call them cheats. If it is recreational drugs then its a different story. They are not actually cheating...its just an image the AFL wants to clean up.

If the names posted on Yahoo7 are accurate it's a bit of a worry, and very disappointing.

Yup. Knowing that the players names previously leaked (the 3 players earlier in the year) and that everyone in the footy media knows aren't huge names. These illeged names on yahoo are big, but I give the names mentioned about 0.00001% validity.

On another note I heard from someone that the maximum you can sue for deformation is $250,000. I dare say if names got out from the club in question that clinic would have more than a bit of explaining to do because it flies right in the face of patient/doctor privacy.

There was plenty of beat-up about my club, too. Let's not pretend that Hawthorn or any other club is going to be afforded any more respect or presumption of innocence from outside forces than West Coast were.

The Hawks are just knocking on the door of the top 4. The stigma of the latest 'revelations' (claims at present) won't be going anywhere fast.Lose to the Dogs, you will have 'Gee, their mind is on other things, or maybe they are off the gear' calls coming your way. Win, and wait for a bit of 'Ooh, I wonder what they are on this week?'. Scandals sell papers. It sucks but it's something you'll have to get used to I'm afraid. Peanuts would much rather speculate about which one of your forwards is on drugs than discuss which one kicked 6 goals.

I have big concerns about this $250,000 for defamation rubbish - where did you get that?

In any case I'm happy to blow a mill tonight:

John Howard - man of his people.

George W.Bush - the man of his time.

Nathan Buckley - man to man.

Unidentified slag walking the streets of Ivanhoe - found in the gutter.

All blatanly false, but at 250 a pop - worth it just for laugh value.

I have unstuck this thread. It will sink into the murky depths.

Sorry mate... it's still illegal, and not real good for you either.

I'd hate for us to excuse these players actions simply based on the color of their jumper.

Would you be so dismissive of it if it were your brother who was popping pills on the weekend? I think you'd be concerned about it, and I don't think we should be downplaying this issue one bit.

I'd want to help him, not kick him out of the family. It is against the law, but who are the real criminals? The users or the dealers?

The whole drug issue is an interesting one, its quiet funny how the Government, other sports and media have a go at the AFL drugs policy - maybe they should introduce drug testing for illicit drugs at their workplace, oh hang on there would be too many positive tests results!

The AFL is the only code that tests for illicit drugs not just performance enhancing drugs - out of season as well! Basically if you and I were told at our workplace that we are to have random drug testing during our work days and our holidays we would kick up a stink and claim an invasion of our privacy and the unions would be all over it. However the AFL and players association have to be recognised that they test for these drugs, we are not talking about steroids or EPO's or anything that will affect their performance on the field or gain them an advantage in a game, we are talking about a social problem and if you looked at the amount of drug use in 18-30 years in society in general it would possibly be a higher percentage than what we are talking about in AFL circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back