Eddie: Pies selfish

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think there was any doubt MM's preference was to continue coaching. Has anyone suggested otherwise?

Again you are just speculating and not surprisingly speculating Mick as the victim and Collingwood as the bully. All I have seen written about this is there was no real role definition that was arrived at. My reading was it was Mick more than anyone who didn't address that because by late 2011 he had probably decided he wasn't going to take the role.My real point here is that MM had choices in 2009 , he didn't have a gun to his head.

The "gun to his head" was the fact he wanted to continue coaching. And there was no guarantee that was going to happen if he didn't agree to the plan. As frantelle noted, there was much conjecture about his job at the time and the plan gave Eddie the best of both world's in that he didn't have to sack Mick and got to retain and potentially deliver an apprenticeship to, a guy he's a fanboi of in Buckley. This was an Eddie decision and as mentioned, at the time, in theory, it looked like a good one. It's just as time went on, it looked like a poor one and now it's been executed, it hasn't turned out very well to this point. You yourself have said this, but will give it another year.

I'm not painting Mick as a victim of anything. I'm just pointing out that he was indeed moved on from the role of senior coach and that if the choice was his and his alone, he would have continued coaching and likely have never even signed the succession plan.

Okay if you beleive ther were parties putting pressure on him to write things in his personal blog who were they. Eddie?, Bucks? the Board?

There would have been all kinds of pressures. To quieten the speculation that seemed to be putting pressure on the club around the time it was making a solid run at another premiership. To keep the players in a bubble and soften them from talks of petitions. And yes, probably to maintain as peaceful balance as possible with these guys behind the scenes. It doesn't mean someone would have to have come up and asked him directly to write the stuff, but the content appears to have been as much puff piece as anything. Even you have admitted he'd probably already decided not to the role by that point. And there's other false info in their as well.

I don't forget. I've actually said a number of times that I think the plan looked like a decent one in theory back when it was devised in 2009. But as Leigh Matthews said, two years is an eternity in modern football. Which brings me to my issue, being that by mid-2011, it wasn't looking like a very good idea at all, in theory or practice; and that someone should have stepped up, down, or in from the side, to try and rejig the succession plan into something more sensible than moving on the reigning premiership coach. Sometimes good ideas are all about the timing.

I think you're underestimating how far away Collingwood looked from a premiership (despite being a top 4-6 side) at the time. As a long-time fan, it really looked a long way off, even though we were thereabouts for a few years. The premiership side of 2010 was extremely young, and probably reached that height 2-3 years earlier than expected.

I think you're underestimating how far away Collingwood looked from a premiership (despite being a top 4-6 side) at the time. As a long-time fan, it really looked a long way off, even though we were thereabouts for a few years. The premiership side of 2010 was extremely young, and probably reached that height 2-3 years earlier than expected.

I'm not underestimating anything. As I've said, I thought the plan looked solid at the time it was made. I wouldn't have been surprised if Malthouse was given the arse at the time either, although as we know now, that would have been a mistake. My issue is that things change and you have to change with them. In Collingwood's case, things changed and they stuck to an old, outdated plan. I have no issues with Buckley, just that the timing of his ascension to the top job was very poorly timed in the end.

I also agree with your comments about the list being so young. It's why I dismiss the excuse of many Pies posters that the team should have been expected to fall away no matter who was coach.

that's not an argument.

there's no doubt mick signed a contract that would at least give another couple of years at the helm, even given its draconian measures. the alternative wasn't great.

So you are strongly supporting this post...

Err ... duh! Imagine a bloke says to you, we either kill you now, or you can sign this contract and we'll kill you in 2 years instead. Are you gonna sign it? Of course you are if you want to keep living. Then in two years time everyone says you wanted to die and they didn't murder you, coz you signed a contract.

Turn it up!

I kinda don't want to argue over this "COLLINGWOOD MURDERED MICK MALTHOUSE" point of view.

Because...

well...

Mick Malthouse's life was not threatened (or taken) by Collingwood.

(Last I heard... he was still alive? Yeah??)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Malthouse's performance in late 2011 and especially matchday in the 2011 GF simply confirmed he was finished as a senior afl coach. His efforts at Carl this year were further reinforcement - don't let the fact they win a final get in the way of the bottom line that Carl did not win enough games to finish in the 8 and therefore malthouse could do no better than ratten in 2012. They were embarrassed by a skeleton swans side in week 2 which showed how far off the mark they were.

I have little doubt that when we look back in say 10 years time the overwhelming consensus will be that the succession plan was a masterstroke by the pies

A pervasiveness of selfishness

that's just such an awkward, clumsy thing to say. its weird to read. i feel embarrassed.

Is it just me (as an outsider) or does that sound like Eddie having a whinge about players asking for more Dosh since 2010? (Dawes, Cloke and now Thomas)
Eddie seems to think that any player is privileged enough to play for Collingwood and that being paid is a bonus so takes it as a personal affront when they seek some alternative offers elsewhere.

Maybe I am wrong and he is referring to on field stuff like Shaws' antics but previous history from Eddie is not balanced when it comes to his comments on players leaving versus coming to the club.

Is it just me (as an outsider) or does that sound like Eddie having a whinge about players asking for more Dosh since 2010? (Dawes, Cloke and now Thomas)
Eddie seems to think that any player is privileged enough to play for Collingwood and that being paid is a bonus so takes it as a personal affront when they seek some alternative offers elsewhere.

Maybe I am wrong and he is referring to on field stuff like Shaws' antics but previous history from Eddie is not balanced when it comes to his comments on players leaving versus coming to the club.

Its the classic hypocrisy of when a player leaves Eddie has a go at them for not being loyal, but of course the club can flick players whenever it wants, even if they want to play on and have played at collingwood their whole career like Didak. Giving Didak and Jolly etc the flick is the right call, but Eddie doesnt have to backhand Thomas, Shaw & Co on their way out of the club.

Theres apparent culture problems at Collingwood and a mini exodus...but we all know from the workplace that while you can have some just bad workers, alot of the times it starts from the top. I think Eddie and Buckley are taking a hard line stance 'my way or the highway' approach and its rubbing some players the wrong way. Its never enjoyable to work in those kinds of environments.

Was it just me or did Pendlebury not look too happy when he received his award at the B+F? Or maybe thats how he always looks...

...previous history from Eddie is not balanced when it comes to his comments on players leaving versus coming to the club.
Its the classic hypocrisy of when a player leaves Eddie has a go at them for not being loyal, but of course the club can flick players whenever it wants, .....
So when did this happen? The only quality player I can recall Collingwood losing that they would have wanted to stay since Eddie took over is Paul Williams and he was made a life memebr immediately on retirement from Sydney. Scotland was pushed by Malthouse. Tarrant was traded at Collingwood's instigation. Neither were criticised and Tarrant was taken back.

Who exactly has Eddie criticised after they left Collingwood?

Malthouse's performance in late 2011 and especially matchday in the 2011 GF simply confirmed he was finished as a senior afl coach. His efforts at Carl this year were further reinforcement - don't let the fact they win a final get in the way of the bottom line that Carl did not win enough games to finish in the 8 and therefore malthouse could do no better than ratten in 2012. They were embarrassed by a skeleton swans side in week 2 which showed how far off the mark they were.

I have little doubt that when we look back in say 10 years time the overwhelming consensus will be that the succession plan was a masterstroke by the pies

Haha ok... so he led a team to the minor premiership with 20 wins and a % of 170... and by the GF just weeks later he'd completely lost it as a coach and was finished??

Good one.

collingwood never treat their outbound well, even if they've given stellar service.

mick
daisy
swann
etc

by contrast, carlton largely wished russell and betts all the best.

i know it's easy to just say "culture", but it really seems appropriate here.

Ratten. He's more carlton than mm daisy swann are pies... you treated him like shit and wouldnt even wait til the end of the season to piss him off.

Totally disagree, the plan was flawed from the start despite the fact that he agreed (albeit begrudgingly) Malthouse never ever brought into it and never ever allowed the smooth unabated transition that a real succession plan should have delivered, it was Mick's team and only Mick's team and in Mick's own words "Nathan had to wait his time". If Eddie and Buck's really had the clubs best interest at heart then they both would have done the unselfish thing and bided their time until Mick was ready to go or it was Mick's time to go.

Are you kidding?

We should have waited until "Mick was ready to go"?

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie: Pies selfish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back