Eddie: Pies selfish

Remove this Banner Ad

Betts didn't leave under the same circumstances.
yes he did, he wanted more money so he asked for a trade, was still welcome at carlton's B&F
heath Shaw is a sun of a Collingwood great, has spoken to other clubs, but no trade as yet, was shunned buy the piesx
bit of a culture difference?
Nathan & eddie know the only way is down for the pies with the current aging list

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...ouryear-deal-with-carlton-20131003-2uv5i.html

The Magpies were uncertain late on Thursday whether Thomas would attend the club's best and fairest on Friday night. Thomas had indicated he would attend the Copeland Trophy on Wednesday, but this could be re-considered, given that the Blues could lodge the contract with the AFL today - and, in effect, Thomas would be attending the function as a Carlton player-in-waiting.

So, Wednesday attending, Thursday accepts Carlton's offer, Friday doesn't attend B+F. That's some kind of turnaround to make up all on his own.

Those who read between the lines, are as coherent to me as those who have had way too many lines.

wgaf? It was a good night and a good speech. I liked when he said we're proud we don't cheat.

yes he did, he wanted more money so he asked for a trade, was still welcome at carlton's B&F
heath Shaw is a sun of a Collingwood great, has spoken to other clubs, but no trade as yet, was shunned buy the piesx
bit of a culture difference?
Nathan & eddie know the only way is down for the pies with the current aging list

We have an extremely young list you nuffie. What the **** is wrong with some.of you people? Are you actually ******ed? We had 10 players playing most the year under 21.

Is this part of a smokescreen by Eddie trying to deflect that his massive call to push Mick out in favour of Buckley wasn't the catalyst for the wheels falling off the wagon?

Invitations are extended to all players on the year's list. Shaw decided not to go. I hear Thomas agreed not to go when he and the club realised that you can't control the supporters reaction to him on the night. Hell, many on the tables were talking and having a laugh during presentations. Imagine what it would have been like had Thomas been presented?

This is what I can not understand.

The supporters should have given the departing PREMIERSHIP players a standing ovation and wished them the best of luck in the future.

This is not a Collingwood only issue. The AFL clubs act like prima donnas at times over players leaving. The NRL have gotten over that players leaving are abandoning the club in their hour of need. To treat it otherwise is childish and rather pathetic imo.

The culture has been ****** at collingwood for long time now we can go back to the darren millane days tosee this maybe before even there is a strong culture of rubbing the boots in and dictatorial control down collingwood

your a peanut, and have no respect. piss off and have a think before your deliver crap like this shit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swanny said it all IMO - club has made hard decisions but if Swan admits tough talks and changes were needed that's good enough for me.

"(But) I love the footy club. I certainly don't plan on playing for anyone else. I’ll be a Pie for life.

"You won’t see me walking out of this club."

it's fun to see the direction they are going. bit like the republican party, it's heading for the cliff's edge and nothing can stop it.

"club comes first, club comes first, club comes first". hey ed, a club is made up of individuals, from the boot studder to the president. and nathan, you have to have the ability to relate to those individuals.

And when you can't relate to those individuals because they lack accountability and don't want to follow the club's direction, you've got the Fevola saga.
It's ok, I hate Carlton as much as you hate Collingwood but not even I can say that the Fevola exit was the wrong move. Very good forward but a total tool.

Swan would walk out if he was treated like Shaw is being treated.

Watch Swanny's speech and get back to me. He covered there was a lot of tough talks with Ed & Bucks. It was evident mid way through the year Swan's attitude changed and he bought in.

The supporters should have given the departing PREMIERSHIP players a standing ovation and wished them the best of luck in the future.

This is not a Collingwood only issue. The AFL clubs act like prima donnas at times over players leaving. The NRL have gotten over that players leaving are abandoning the club in their hour of need. To treat it otherwise is childish and rather pathetic imo.

I don't necessarily believe that being a premiership player means universal love forever. Maybe in a perfect world but maybe not in Thomas' case. There was more to it than just leaving for money.

And when you can't relate to those individuals because they lack accountability and don't want to follow the club's direction, you've got the Fevola saga.
It's ok, I hate Carlton as much as you hate Collingwood but not even I can say that the Fevola exit was the wrong move. Very good forward but a total tool.
i'm not saying individuals should not be held accountable. maybe even mm was too soft on those players.... yet it netted you a flag.

but hey, if you want to turn your club into a pow stalag, go right ahead.

collingwood never treat their outbound well, even if they've given stellar service.

mick
daisy
swann
etc

by contrast, carlton largely wished russell and betts all the best.

i know it's easy to just say "culture", but it really seems appropriate here.

This does get a bit muddled with time but your interpretation is a bit out. No doubt in 2009 MM wanted to continue on. The board was said to mainly want him gone believing 10 yr without a flag was long enough. Up to this point Eddie was MMs big supporter at the club. He cobbled together the 5 year deal to both get Bucks into the club and keep Mick. Without this agreement the other likely scenario was MM gone and Bucks senior coach in 2010. At the time Eddie was Micks biggest ally.

At the time most opposition people thought Pies had erred in keeping Mick. By early 2010 this feeling was stronger as Pies struggled early and Mick had his Milne incident. In light of subsequent events people see things differently but it's wrong to say Eddie pushed Mick aside in 2009 to appoint Buckley. He was a big supporter of both of them

Fair enough thanks for the clarity, I guess the point is that if Bucks was considered the right man and that MM was never going to buy in (it was evident from day 1) to the succession plan then they should have just made the tough decision then and there.

collingwood never treat their outbound well, even if they've given stellar service.

mick
daisy
swann
etc

by contrast, carlton largely wished russell and betts all the best.

i know it's easy to just say "culture", but it really seems appropriate here.
There is no comparison between these situations. If Didak went to Carlton there would be the same sort of goodwill towards him. But you hate Collingwood, so please go ahead and say "culture".

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie: Pies selfish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back