News Elimination Final:- Carlton v Brisbane prematch discussion & changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon all the pressure is on the Lions here, won the home final, haven't lost a final at the Gabba, big expectation from the home crowd. Blues go in with a good recent history over them...plus they have a few injury concerns.
I watched them last week against Sydney and they were less than convincing, Swans kept breaking down at half forward. Lions wilted massively under pressure, they were up 40 odd points, just caved in, whether that was coaching issues I;m not sure.

Expect them to be physical early, Blues could seriously run away with this in the end.

I'd say given the whole 'They know we're coming' slogan, the pressure is on Carlton to actually arrive, and have an impact.

I watched us too last week, and I felt our first two and half quarters were some of the best of the year. What happened afterward could probably be partly attributed to us either breaking down a little, or easing off... but I wouldn't be surprised if it was also partly due to a spirited Sydney comeback. They're not known to throw the towel in, and with them playing for 3 of their heroes, I was just stoked to get away with a win at a ground where Sydney are extremely tough to beat.

There's hardly any pressure in being 39 points up. There is however, a sh**load of pressure when you blow a 39 point lead, and your opposition gets to within 1 point. And in the face of that pressure, we were, thank God, good enough to handle it, and lock in a win.

I'd hardly call that 'wilting'.

We've got a few major and untimely injuries, but we're also playing at home. Although, your boys should have the confidence that they can win up there (but only by exactly 6 points;)) You guys are also coming off an absolute smacking at the hands of Adelaide.

So many factors that might (or might not) largely affect the match, it's pretty hard to tell which way this one will go.

Though, I'll be up there cheering us on, so that will probably drag us over the line... at the moment, I'll take Brisbane by any margin.;)

Seriously considering sneaking up to Brisneyland for this one.
Haven't seen the baggers in the big show since '99gf.

Thing I have noticed about Brizzy is they play a similar sort of game to us.
Only difference is that they have 2 targets, we have one.

But for the whole year they haven't managed 20 goals in a game, yet if you look at their quarter by quarters, they can turn it on for a quarter and bang on 8 goals.

They get a heap of the pill, but they bugger around with the ball a fair bit,
and like us skill errors/brain fades are the thing that let them down.

Cliched, but whoever makes less stuff ups will win this.

I'd say given the whole 'They know we're coming' slogan, the pressure is on Carlton to actually arrive, and have an impact.

That slogan added pressure during the season to make finals, we have ticked that part off, the finals doesn't add any pressure from the slogan. What does add pressure is the fact its our first finals in 8 years, if we win the media will say the finals experience is a myth if we lose the media will say we lacked finals experience, can't win either way.

Brisbane are under pressure, no doubt about it, Voss as first year coach would be expected to deliver from the box what he did in all the finals, home final and depending on who plays a lot of pressure on one individual....Brown!!

Should be a cracker of a game, but with the Blues getting a flogging and virtually playing in a canter for the 2nd half they should be fresh and a good rev up during the week from a couple of legends has done the trick in the past, i'd say Carlton by a little.

You don't think I read that crap do you

Watch out for speed cameras - you won't see them either ;)

good one mate...

You watch out for the abuse and have a go at people... if they listen to you good stuff... if they dont, dont get all upset about it.

If you look at the teams that have troubled us this year, they have played a similar style.

Apart from essendon and Freo the others all tend to push back hard to fill the defensive space. Brisbane don't do this particularly well and Fev shold do fine, whether he plays on Merrett, Bradshaw....Roe.....or whoever wants to put their hand up.

Sides that tend to take the game on and play offensive footy rather than flooding, we have done well against. Here I think of the Dogs, Cats, Port, Lions x 2 and Freo at subi.

I think Brissie won't try and change too much and so it will be a shoot out in the middle. Without the uber-pressure of the crows our mids will bounce back and should be the difference in this game.......Black or no Black.

The only worry I have is that Clarke is playing very well in the ruck and we are thin down back. Thornton has played well on Brown the last few times but isn't the preferred matchup. If Bradshaw is fit then Bower will struggle.

Brennan looms as another danger and we saw that at the Gabba earlier this year when he nearly turned the game off his own boot in the fourth.

If we can take their best punch and come out level I think over the course of the game we should have the quality to win.

We need to be "on" at the start to. The lions are generally poor starters and if they get off to a good one they could be hard to catch.

Blues by under a goal.
Votes:
3. Murphy
2. Fevola
1. Simpson/Judd

For the Lions to win (if the injuries they profess are genuine) the votes would need to look like:
3. Brown (7+ goals)
2. Brennan (4+ goals)
1. Rich/Power/Johnstone/Clarke

I would go with a hard tag on Rich and Black, and hopefully our midfield after last week will show some more balls.

I would go with a hard tag on Rich and Black, and hopefully our midfield after last week will show some more balls.

I'd throw in Sherman and Power for this one as well Alpha. We obviously have Carrazzo and AJ as our main run with players, but Sherman is arguably been in career best form, and Power is just a very good footballer. If Black doesn't play, then it will make our life much easier. However, i'll put up my matchups like he will play

Carrazzo - Black. Will be a tough job for Carrazzo, but a job that he can do. Black will never hurt you with actual leg speed, but he knows where the ball is going to go, and Carrazzo must watch him. Other big plus is that Black isn't that defensive, so Carrazzo will get a fair bit of the ball himself.

AJ - Rich. AJ is fantastic at getting under the skin of his opponents, and why not give him a job on Rich, playing in his first final. Like Black, won't kill us with leg speed, but knows where to get it, and has a deadly left foot.

Armfield - Sherman. Can go with him with pace, and not unlike AJ, can get under the skin of his opponent. Could be an enthralling battle

JR - Power. JR has some pretty big scalps late this year, and Power has become more of an accumulator of posessions, and IIRC, hasn't been kicking a heap of goals recently. JR's confidence should allow him to take on Power on Saturday night.

As we really don't have any real good matchups from Brown and Bradshaw, we may have to use a spare man back, to help Bower and Thornton. Should Wiggins hold his spot, he could do this job. A fearless competitor, he is also good above his head, and won't hesitate in dropping back into this hole.

HBF do you think we should throw in Warnock or Jacobs into the mix? Maybe it's time we become a little more unpredictable, and Warnock has had a good game, and sort of played as a roaming ruckman in the Ants. That must mean his fitness levels are on the up?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HBF do you think we should throw in Warnock or Jacobs into the mix? Maybe it's time we come a little more unpredictable, and Warnock has a good game, and sort of played as a roaming ruckman in the Ants. That must mean is fitness levels are on the up?

Probably not Alpha. I'd leave Kreuzer/Hampson in ruck, but I would bring Cloke in to play CHF. Brisbane don't have a great matchup for him, especially if Merrett doesn't play, and that way, we can throw Carlos back to play on Brown if need be.

HBF you make a good point regarding Cloke, but a few people want him out of the side permanently. I would like him in this week as well, gives us some presence and we can use him up forward/CHF and throw Irish back into defence.

If i see Chris Johnson in the team ahead of Grigg i'll spew up! Most unaccountable soft footballer to wear our jumper in a long time, when he plays we look soft. He is rubbish, crumbles under pressure and is useless defensivelly and has done sfa offensively to top it off.

I want him out as I and anyone else with eyes can already tell he will crumble under the pressure of a final. You are only as strong as your weakest link and he is incredibly weak.

I'd throw in Sherman and Power for this one as well Alpha. We obviously have Carrazzo and AJ as our main run with players, but Sherman is arguably been in career best form, and Power is just a very good footballer. If Black doesn't play, then it will make our life much easier. However, i'll put up my matchups like he will play

Carrazzo - Black. Will be a tough job for Carrazzo, but a job that he can do. Black will never hurt you with actual leg speed, but he knows where the ball is going to go, and Carrazzo must watch him. Other big plus is that Black isn't that defensive, so Carrazzo will get a fair bit of the ball himself.

AJ - Rich. AJ is fantastic at getting under the skin of his opponents, and why not give him a job on Rich, playing in his first final. Like Black, won't kill us with leg speed, but knows where to get it, and has a deadly left foot.

Armfield - Sherman. Can go with him with pace, and not unlike AJ, can get under the skin of his opponent. Could be an enthralling battle

JR - Power. JR has some pretty big scalps late this year, and Power has become more of an accumulator of posessions, and IIRC, hasn't been kicking a heap of goals recently. JR's confidence should allow him to take on Power on Saturday night.

As we really don't have any real good matchups from Brown and Bradshaw, we may have to use a spare man back, to help Bower and Thornton. Should Wiggins hold his spot, he could do this job. A fearless competitor, he is also good above his head, and won't hesitate in dropping back into this hole.
All due respect HBF but i think you have overlooked the lions most important playmaker of recent times, Ash McGrath, that is where i think Carrazzo will and should go.

HBF you make a good point regarding Cloke, but a few people want him out of the side permanently. I would like him in this week as well, gives us some presence and we can use him up forward/CHF and throw Irish back into defence.
I agree that Cloke might help throw them out a bit. Could Irish go with Brennan or too you think he might be a bit too crafty and slippery for Irish.

Warnock needs to play! one of his strengths is floating back and cutting off opposition forward thrusts, almost plays as an extra defender at times. Get excited guys, Warnock is perfect. Can play anywhere and have an influence on a game.

The only worry I have is that Clarke is playing very well in the ruck and we are thin down back. Thornton has played well on Brown the last few times but isn't the preferred matchup. If Bradshaw is fit then Bower will struggle.

While Matty K has been quiet of late (tiring late in the year?) with a chance of Warnock getting his first gig of the year, and Hampson stepping up in the Ruck bigtime, im not overly concerned.

Plus Id back our mids over Brisbanes anyday of the week (and thats before any injury to Black and co).

Defensive setup should be Bower on Brown, with Armfield chopping into his space to help out and Thornton as a loose man in Defence (where he's been at his best this year). Walker and Russell to provide run from defence.

If Bradshaw plays then Setanta can pick him him up.

No way will Warnock play, I figure if he was gonig to play at all in the Carlton squad this year, he would have come into the side 2 or 3 weeks before the finals.

I suspect the club will bring in Sauce ..
Johnson and Armfield should be dropped, they are just not AFL standard players with their skills (or lack thereof)

No way will Warnock play, I figure if he was gonig to play at all in the Carlton squad this year, he would have come into the side 2 or 3 weeks before the finals.

I suspect the club will bring in Sauce ..
Johnson and Armfield should be dropped, they are just not AFL standard players with their skills (or lack thereof)

Army has proven this statement incorrect time and time again

Defensive setup should be Bower on Brown, with Armfield chopping into his space to help out and Thornton as a loose man in Defence (where he's been at his best this year).
Thornton usually gets the job on Brown and usually does a sterling job. He'll be the first choice. We don't have enough key defenders to play one loose.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Elimination Final:- Carlton v Brisbane prematch discussion & changes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back